Next debutant in Europe?

On 20/05/2024 at 11:32, Highlandmagar said:

Oh dear! Killie fans are very touchy. But, I suppose as admirers of their big brothers from Ibrox, it is to be expected. 

Haha, we've had the Rangers fans and their club in general on toast more times in my lifetime than your lot could ever dream of. 

Steve Clarke takes pop at Rangers as Kilmarnock manager bids emotional  farewell - Daily Record

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'll crack the jokes. 

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They tried most of that under Barr - worked out well. 

Well except the new stand but doubt a few hundred extra seats on a terracing is going to catapult them to European football. 

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Same club that got to the Semi Final of European competition? Same team that drew with Real Madrid at RP in the European Cup? Same team that overturned a 4 goal deficit against Eintracht Frankfurt?

Partick Thistle could only dream of being that embarrassing.

It's cute how much you hate us though as you're a complete irrelevance to any Killie fan i know. 

That said, i do enjoy you fucking up promotion every season. Last year was my fave one yet.  

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Ross County keep Scottish Premiership status after epic comeback against Partick  Thistle | Daily Mail Online

image.png

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Haha, we've had the Rangers fans and their club in general on toast more times in my lifetime than your lot could ever dream of. 

Steve Clarke takes pop at Rangers as Kilmarnock manager bids emotional  farewell - Daily Record

Multiquote is your friend. 

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

A scary flashback to how intolerable Killie fans were in the Championship, despite winning the league.

I suppose you will just have to rely on flashbacks given your three consecutive failed attempts to join us up here.

12 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

A scary flashback to how intolerable Killie fans were in the Championship, despite winning the league.

It’s a good job that we got out after a season then. 
Your faces at Dingwall last season were hilarious, really enjoyed watching.

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I suppose you will just have to rely on flashbacks given your three consecutive failed attempts to join us up here.

2 hours ago, Killiefan said:

It’s a good job that we got out after a season then. 
Your faces at Dingwall last season were hilarious, really enjoyed watching.

Thanks for proving my point: a very touchy and needy bunch who have to sling something back in return, even when they're doing well. Weirdos.

38 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Thanks for proving my point: a very touchy and needy bunch who have to sling something back in return, even when they're doing well. Weirdos.

Awww

On 19/05/2024 at 17:48, BFTD said:

Here's the existing overall record, according to Wiki, which might help. By my calculations, there should be 23 clubs there if you include Clyde, as they've amalgamated two clumpanies into one.

If we're not counting Airdrieoneans v2 as another club, the most likely answer is probably one of the clubs that are new to the SPFL, or whoever finds a sugar daddy. Nobody's getting a brief European fling for winning the League Cup/losing the Scottish Cup final to Celtgers anymore. We may well not see another European debutante in our lifetimes.

image.png.517d39a6ea6cc281b1b74e2e0f1e6e29.png

Edit: 24 if Jacksgranda's right about Third Lanark.

St Johnstone have played double the amount of European games as St Mirren?

Is that why they're so jealous?

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

St Johnstone have played double the amount of European games as St Mirren?

Is that why they're so jealous?

Also a bit of a shocker that, not only have Hibs played more European games than Hearts, they've been a fair bit more successful too.

23 hours ago, BFTD said:

Also a bit of a shocker that, not only have Hibs played more European games than Hearts, they've been a fair bit more successful too.

Most Scottish teams have, tbh.

On 25/05/2024 at 15:02, BFTD said:

That is a surprise given the perennial greatness that is Hibs.

The Euro coefficients have Hearts ahead though.

Screenshot2024-05-27at20-58-07Footballcoefficientranking-ClubrankingHeartsFootball-coefficient_eu.png.ca645a2de1ca6c1d1c93737f90faaaf5.png

On 25/05/2024 at 15:02, BFTD said:

Hibs had a good team at the right time, in part due to the financial doping by Tom Hart.

On 27/05/2024 at 21:00, Crùbag said:

That is a surprise given the perennial greatness that is Hibs.

The Euro coefficients have Hearts ahead though.

Screenshot2024-05-27at20-58-07Footballcoefficientranking-ClubrankingHeartsFootball-coefficient_eu.png.ca645a2de1ca6c1d1c93737f90faaaf5.png

Instead of sneering, why not accept that Hibs played more games, achieved two European Semi-Finals, and played in Europe most seasons in the 1960s and 70s? That is surely to be respected. When Hearts actually do something in Europe, then you can give it the big one.

I am happy for my pals up in the Granite City who have a shiny silver European Cup Winners Cup in their trophy cabinet. Same with Celtic in 1967 and Rangers in 1972.  Great days but pretty unlikely to be seen again in Scotland by any club.

On 27/05/2024 at 21:35, MacDonald Jardine said:

Hibs had a good team at the right time, in part due to the financial doping by Tom Hart.

Jesus... that's a hot take and a half.

25 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Instead of sneering, why not accept that Hibs played more games, achieved two European Semi-Finals, and played in Europe most seasons in the 1960s and 70s? That is surely to be respected. When Hearts actually do something in Europe, then you can give it the big one.

I am happy for my pals up in the Granite City who have a shiny silver European Cup Winners Cup in their trophy cabinet. Same with Celtic in 1967 and Rangers in 1972.  Great days but pretty unlikely to be seen again in Scotland by any club.

Not sneering. Just asking why Hearts have a greater coefficient. Genuine question.

Not arguing against Hibs' past exploits either - you've had some decent teams in the past.

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

why not accept that Hibs played more games, achieved two European Semi-Finals, and played in Europe most seasons in the 1960s and 70s? That is surely to be respected. 

While acknowledging that any success in Europe by a Scottish club is commendable, especially in modern times, Hibs achievement of reaching two European semi-finals loses some of its sparkle when you drill down into the details.

Their European Cup semi in season 1955/56 was arrived at by winning just two ties, against Rot-Weiss Essen of West Germany and Djurgarden of Sweden. Hibs hadn't even qualified for the European Cup as reward for their lofty league position (they'd only finished 5th), but via an invitation from the tournament organisers by virtue of having installed floodlights earlier than many other clubs. They lost the semi-final to French club Reims. Only sixteen teams participated in that inaugural competition.

Similarly, they didn't qualify for the Fairs Cup in 1960/61 by dint of their league position (7th), but by invitation. Invitations were only dished out to clubs from towns and cities which held trade fairs (hence the name Inter-Cities Fairs Cup). Following a bye in the first round, Hibs only had to win one tie, admittedly against Barcelona, to arrive in the semi-finals, where they duly lost 6-0 to Roma. 

7 minutes ago, Squonk said:

While acknowledging that any success in Europe by a Scottish club is commendable, especially in modern times, Hibs achievement of reaching two European semi-finals loses some of its sparkle when you drill down into the details.

Their European Cup semi in season 1955/56 was arrived at by winning just two ties, against Rot-Weiss Essen of West Germany and Djurgarden of Sweden. Hibs hadn't even qualified for the European Cup as reward for their lofty league position (they'd only finished 5th), but via an invitation from the tournament organisers by virtue of having installed floodlights earlier than many other clubs. They lost the semi-final to French club Reims. Only sixteen teams participated in that inaugural competition.

Similarly, they didn't qualify for the Fairs Cup in 1960/61 by dint of their league position (7th), but by invitation. Invitations were only dished out to clubs from towns and cities which held trade fairs (hence the name Inter-Cities Fairs Cup). Following a bye in the first round, Hibs only had to win one tie, admittedly against Barcelona, to arrive in the semi-finals, where they duly lost 6-0 to Roma. 

It was what it was. Real Madrid won the first European Cup playing 4 ties. So what?

How many did Dundee play in 1962-63 when they went to the Semi Final? 4.  Rangers couldn't get beyond the QF stages in numerous attempts. Hearts crashed out early in both their attempts.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AndyM said:

It was what it was. Real Madrid won the first European Cup playing 4 ties. So what?

How many did Dundee play in 1962-63 when they went to the Semi Final? 4.  Rangers couldn't get beyond the QF stages in numerous attempts. Hearts crashed out early in both their attempts.

Rangers got to the semi final of the European Cup in 1959/60, although they don't talk about it much.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Pars got to the semi final of the Cup Winners Cup in 1969, beating Apoel, Olympiakos and West Brom, before losing to Slovan Bratislava. All games were over two legs.

On 20/05/2024 at 21:12, tamthebam said:

1 Scottish City has had two European Cup semi-finalists 

The home of Scottish football, Glasgow? 

No, it's that oft ignored by Scottish football journalists city, Dundee. And they should have had a finalist if it wasn't for cheating. 

Michael Scott Grimace GIF

6 hours ago, AndyM said:

I am happy for my pals up in the Granite City who have a shiny silver European Cup Winners Cup and *cough* Super Cup *cough* in their trophy cabinet. Same with Celtic in 1967 and Rangers in 1972.  Great days but pretty unlikely to be seen again in Scotland by any club.