Ross County [6] : [1] Raith Rovers

10 minutes ago, Girth said:

Can anyone see Raith winning the second leg?

Yep.

Despite looking at times like being a semi-competent side, there is a reason why it's us in the play-off's and not someone else.  We have rarely....if ever.... this season put back to back performances in.  When you take the last 15 mins into account then Raith have a chance.

12 hours ago, pub car king said:

I think the previous total was about 6k for food and we did next to no profit on hospitality. 

Screenshot_20240523_222223_PDFReader-HiRead.thumb.jpg.f127ca85519d461993a2d8a024dea063.jpg

That's because the food concession was contracted out at a set rate per month.

This time the club control it, so hence the increase this year, and clear lack of financial nouce previously

19 minutes ago, Girth said:

Me.

I have a dream (we have a dream)

If dreams come true (if dreams come true)

Etc. etc.

The Rovers don’t need me though. They just need to get our decent forward players into the game.

Disappointing game last night, Raith a shadow of themselves, could've been a few behind at the end, County much better at home. It's all set up for Raith cuffing them in Dingwall. The football gods do love to play around with logic now and again.

9 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Yep.

Despite looking at times like being a semi-competent side, there is a reason why it's us in the play-off's and not someone else.  We have rarely....if ever.... this season put back to back performances in.  When you take the last 15 mins into account then Raith have a chance.

100% this. We are not out of it yet. For the first 75 mins there seemed only 1 team in it, but I think County were a bit rattled in the last 15 mins and if we start better up there and don't give them too much respect like we did yesterday we are still in with a chance.

It took the Rovers a long time to adjust to the tempo County played at, the slick movement of the ball as well as the physical challenge, and not being behind after that was a real success.  It's fair to be disappointed with the goals but at the same time there was no injustice in the scoreline.  Finishing relatively strongly means we can still go up there with some positivity, even if it's not expectation, and that will help - but it's also going up there with a better idea what we're up against and what kind of approach is realistic.  

It was close enough in the end to have a few What Ifs - Connolly goes very close at 0-0 and after a poor season and no away wins in so long, how do County react if it goes in?  The free kick Vaughan took was wasted too, seemed clearly better suited to Connolly.  Vaughan didn't find a way into the game really, didn't adjust to bigger, better faster opponents - but I still think he could do on Sunday.  May need to keep it simpler and be very patient, but he can still make a difference.  Certain that Connolly can too, if teammates are close enough to him.  

County are obviously better than any of our league opponents this season and it would be smash and grab if we get something up there, but it's not impossible.

I'm nervous about Sunday.  Raith Rovers were naive in playing Hamilton alone up front against our 3 centre halfs, I'd be surprised if they make that mistake again.  The last 15 minutes we were rattled, and that's been the story of the season.  If Raith score first on Sunday then anything could happen.  

1 hour ago, BPM said:

No idea why Easton isn’t in that team and  the likes of Brown, Hamilton, Byrne and Connelly are? Why is Stanton playing wide?

Byrne and Brown are both fabulous players to be fair. If you stick Dylan Easton in either of their positions and it’d go extremely poorly. Hamilton was stinking last night but is a good striker at Championship level. 

Was a really sobering one last night seeing how much County dominated the game, thought they didn't have many clear cut chances though and they'll be disappointed losing the two goal lead.  I'd imagine County fans feel the same way Raith fans did leaving Firhill after the semi-final, my nerves were all over the place during the second leg of that so hopefully a similar kind of game on Sunday.

Agree that Hamilton really struggled last night and that the main reason for our shift in momentum was moving Stanton into the middle. a like-for-like swap of Easton or Smith for Turner with Vaughan still upfront in hindsight would've been the move and its what I would go for on Sunday.  

I'm optimistic for Sunday actually, feels like a bit of a free hit and I do fancy us to score - just hopefully before County.  Corr was excellent keeping Murray quiet but if they do progress then it will be because they're a better team, which is fair enough.

19 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Can someone rename this the Raith Rovers Best Practice in Catering Thread?

I see your pie revenue increase Raith and raise you a magnificent Staggie venison pie.

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

No disrespect to Raith but to hell with these plastic pitches so I hope County stays up. Plus a wee trip up the Highlands is always enjoyable.

Did you see the rain? The only reason the game went ahead last night was because it was on plastic.

Not a great time of year for rescheduling fixtures either.

1 hour ago, Girth said:

They’ve defeated Rangers and Hearts at home recently so no chance.

Wait…Partick beat them in Dingwall 3 nil in the Scottish Cup.

It’s Scottish football anything can happen at this level.

Going up there with a chance at least.

As much as County dominated they still could improve in the final 3rd, and at home they're a better team. Raith really need to up their game massively from that 1st leg. 

Quite looking forward to Sunday's game to see how this pans out, looks a shoe in for County staying up, but football loves throwing up surprises.

33 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Did you see the rain? The only reason the game went ahead last night was because it was on plastic.

Not a great time of year for rescheduling fixtures either.

Is that you best for plastic grass , seriously ? Mate the rules will be changed soon for the top flight to ban plastic pitches. Clubs like Raith don't have the financial cost of laying a grass pitch. Average cost £130,000 I understand that's what it's costing St Mirren laying a new pitch just now.  Each to their own for me professional football should be played on natural grass. 

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Is that you best for plastic grass , seriously ? Mate the rules will be changed soon for the top flight to ban plastic pitches. Clubs like Raith don't have the financial cost of laying a grass pitch. Average cost £130,000 I understand that's what it's costing St Mirren laying a new pitch just now.  Each to their own for me professional football should be played on natural grass. 

If we had natural grass there wouldn’t have been a game on last night.

4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

If we had natural grass there wouldn’t have been a game on last night.

So it goes to another date. There is a reason the best leagues in the world use natural grass and not plastic. Can you tell me why the biggest competitors in football only allow grass. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

So it goes to another date. There is a reason the best leagues in the world use natural grass and not plastic. Can you tell me why the biggest competitors in football only allow grass. 

You can play a Champions Legaue Semi Final on an artificial surface.

Edited by Enigma

19 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

🤣 Well some of us think that a game going ahead when it otherwise would not have is a pretty strong argument for artificial surfaces, yes.

I know the Premiership cabal will vote to ban them. They don't have any actual reason other than vibes.