General Election 2024

Curtice said that apart from in Scotland the Labour vote has stayed the same and the Tories losing votes to Reform has basically decided the election.

Looking like 36% which is a mental figure for a total landslide.

UK politics is fucked, FPTP in particular 

9 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Ever since 2014 during Flower of Scotland at Scotland games I've balked at the line 'We can still rise now/and be a nation again' because I've doubted whether it's true. Now I know it isn't. Pathetic wee pretend country that deserves all it wishes on itself.

8 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Look to The SNP if you want someone to blame.

While the SNP have been an utter shambles in recent times, we. as a nation, had an independence referendum and completely fucked it up.

At the end of the day the Scottish electorate had the chance to forge it's own destiny and chose not to which makes the epithet 'Pathetic wee pretend country' fairly legitimate.

Disappointed to be waking up in a Labour seat again, but the really worrying thing is the low turn out and rise of a party like Reform UK in a constituency like Motherwell.

23 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Ever since 2014 during Flower of Scotland at Scotland games I've balked at the line 'We can still rise now/and be a nation again' because I've doubted whether it's true. Now I know it isn't. Pathetic wee pretend country that deserves all it wishes on itself.

Should probably consider learning the actual words and context of the anthem, then.

It's 'be the nation again'.

26 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Stewart McDonald anaw. The pro war goons in the snp getting emptied :)

He was quite symbolic of the SNP's problem, in my view. He boasted about how he'd helped bring SNP in line with "mainstream" opinion, leading to them being "accepted". He got on the Westminster Foreign Affairs Committee and he had his column in The Scotsman. That's not the attitude SNP should ever be adopting. They're an insurgency movement or they're nothing. 

Edited by Freedom Farter

It’s mad the Tories still get the seats they have done. I wonder what it would take for them to lose support in place like the borders if this absolute car-crash of a government wasn’t enough?

22 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Looking like 36% which is a mental figure for a total landslide.

And the SNP sitting at what 30% of the Scottish vote share. Been a funny night on the numbers

Just now, Freedom Farter said:

He was quite symbolic of the SNP's problem, in my view. He boasted about how he'd help bring SNP in line with "mainstream" opinion, leading to them being "accepted". He got on the Westminster Foreign Affairs Committee and he had his column in The Scotsman. That's not the attitude SNP should ever be adopting. They're an insurgency movement or they're nothing. 

Correct. A vote for Labour in Scotland was an anti-SNP, establishment protest, which is the opposite of what it should be. 

Penny Mordaunt said "Democracy is never wrong".
On a side note, Mordaunt can use my face if she's looking for a new seat.

Just 6 seats In Scotland left to declare.

Hands up - like many I did not see this kind of drubbing - expected the SNP to lose seats but not on the scale they have.

There's a complex bunch of reasons they've lost - some within their control (the fraud investigation, the focus on peripheral issues and green shite, the ineffectual keadership of Yusaf and Swinney, and generally pisspoor campaigning) and other issues outwith their control (the momentum of Labour, the collapse of the Tory vote and the disproportionate time given to that c**t Farage). 

The SNP need to step back and take a reality check.  Get away from the control freakery that was endemic under the Murrels, focus on the day-to-day issues that matter but still keeping independence at the forefront.  They need to give voters a reason for voting for them, that voting SNP can make a difference.

They can't just rely on Labour fucking things up (even if I do think they will) - there needs to be a clear strategy that enthuses voters.

I just worry that with Swinney at the helm none if these things will happen and the same mistakes will happen again.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

*Wakes up and checks news.*

Tories wiped off the face off the planet.  Good. 

SNP Yer-da cybernats crying into their cornflakes.   Good.

Douglas Ross and Rees-Mogg gone.  Effing Brilliant.

Red tories everywhere delighted.  Terrible.

Farage and his pals.  Concerning but hopefully a protest vote.  

Anything else?