General Election 2024

Just now, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Did not expect the SNP to do as badly as that, although their gain to defeat Ross was amusing.  It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy(!)

Some of those swings to Labour were beyond belief.

In Northern Ireland, Jim Allister in the commons will be a laugh 😆  and I was relieved that Robinson defeated Long well in East Belfast.  Great to see Stephen Farry kicked into touch too.

I saw Ross has lost and it raised a smile. He is a hapless Bozo who looks like the son of Edward and Tubbs from the local shop.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

That’s all I can really take from it. I haven’t noticed too many small boats in the Forth and there aren’t that many black faces either.

Is there another reason people vote Reform? Pissed off with the main parties and seen as the anti-establishment vote?

Are their voters young or old?

I imagine them to be English Defence League types/football casuals.

39 minutes ago, renton said:

The fact that Farage is now an MP means the next Tory leadership race is going to be a swerve to the far right. Badenoch or Braverman...

Yes.  They lost the election because they weren't true to themselves and simply weren't right wing enough. 

Nobody outside the Tory Party will be particularly interested and they will be a side show.

Then they will eventually choose someone who is more voter friendly and back in contention again.

Hopefully not too soon.

3 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Did not expect the SNP to do as badly as that, although their gain to defeat Ross was amusing.  It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy(!)

Some of those swings to Labour were beyond belief.

In Northern Ireland, Jim Allister in the commons will be a laugh 😆  and I was relieved that Robinson defeated Long well in East Belfast.  Great to see Stephen Farry kicked into touch too.

Is he the guy putting back crosses on windows?

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What did the SNP at Westminster do wrong?  They were in opposition after all and from what I can see were as effective as Labour on most issues and far more effective on some, such as the genocide in Gaza.

As commented before by others, Wminster SNP, who included some of the best scrutineers of Brexit and Tory madness, are being punished for the rudderless governance and campervannery of the Holyrood cohort.

But no one should think that ScoLabour have learned the lessons of 2015. They will act as entitledly as ever, and certainly won't 'influence' Sir Peter Butterworth much. He doesn't need to take any notice of Scotland now and won't. ScoLabour will keep quiet and dae whit they're telt.

1 minute ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Are their voters young or old?

I imagine them to be English Defence League types/football casuals.

You'd think so, but I'm sure I saw soemthing about the far right having a bit of a toehold in the Gen Z demographic. 

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

That’s all I can really take from it. I haven’t noticed too many small boats in the Forth and there aren’t that many black faces either.

Is there another reason people vote Reform? Pissed off with the main parties and seen as the anti-establishment vote?

Pretty sure it's just good old racism.

2 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

would be interesting to see the demographics, if young people are voting reform in Scotland? which would match a european trend

How many votes did reform get overall in Scotland?

A lot. I’m sure I read it was 150,000.

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I saw Ross has lost and it raised a smile. He is a hapless Bozo who looks like the son of Edward and Tubbs from the local shop.

Are you going to respond to my question?

I know you’re not obliged to but I’d be interested.

14 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

6% of a difference but delivers 27 more seats .

Just shows what a shit show FPTP is .

IMG-20240705-WA0000.jpg

🤣 That is fucking ludicrous.

Just now, TheScarf said:

🤣 That is fucking ludicrous.

Tellingly only a broken/corrupt UK and a Dictatorship in Belorussia are the only countries in Europe still using FPTP .

2 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

reform got double the green vote and nearly a quarter of the SNP vote, Thats shocking

Yip but still less than half of what they got in England which gives me hope.  They also got a bigger percentage in Wales than they did in England!

1 minute ago, I Clavdivs said:

Tellingly only a broken/corrupt UK and a Dictatorship in Belorussia are the only countries in Europe still using FPTP .

138,339 more people in Scotland voted for Labour than the SNP and it got them 26 more MPs.

4 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

reform got double the green vote and nearly a quarter of the SNP vote, Thats shocking

I don’t find it shocking at all tbh.

21 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What did the SNP at Westminster do wrong?  They were in opposition after all and from what I can see were as effective as Labour on most issues and far more effective on some, such as the genocide in Gaza.

What did they do right? I forgot they were there. 50 MPs and what did they achieve?

It’s likely correct that they are being punished for the goings on at Holyrood. That’s tough, but that’s what happens when people see parties rather than people. I think people just wanted the Tories out and to their minds the easiest way to achieve that was voting Labour. If they can give the SNP a kicking at the same time then all the better.