General Election 2024

9 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

This election we saw Liz Truss, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Richard Drax - a man who literally owns a Caribbean plantation - all voted out but its a working class woman from Broxburn who you reserved your ire for. You truly know where power lies in society.

I was delighted to see the back of JRM, Shapps, Mordaunt, Fabricant etc etc.

Are you suggesting that working class people from Broxburn should be free from someone’s ire? Her tear stained, woe is me, nonsense, should be a thing of ridicule.

Ire shouldn’t be based on class. She made an absolute dog’s dinner of herself.

28 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

I was delighted to see the back of JRM, Shapps, Mordaunt, Fabricant etc etc.

Are you suggesting that working class people from Broxburn should be free from someone’s ire? Her tear stained, woe is me, nonsense, should be a thing of ridicule.

Ire shouldn’t be based on class. She made an absolute dog’s dinner of herself.

The only person doing that right now is you.

Stick to drinking puddles.

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Reading that article just made me realise that someone as useless as Katrina Murray can get elected.

What’s the script with her? She’s my new MP but I’d never heard of her before. She also made her Twitter page private during the campaign so was quite difficult to get a handle on her. 

47 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

What’s the script with her? She’s my new MP but I’d never heard of her before. She also made her Twitter page private during the campaign so was quite difficult to get a handle on her. 

I remember her from NUS Scotland days - utterly incompetent - only ever got anywhere because she played the disabled card.  One of Murphy's acolytes who doesn't have an original thought inside her pea-brain. She stood in Dundee East at one point and was rightly laughed at during the hustings because she doesn't understand what she's talking about.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

On 08/07/2024 at 15:19, Glen Sannox said:

Hannah Bardell’s twitter breakdown is a thing of beauty. The most “woe is me” self indulgent bollocks ever.

Dreadful Woman. Delighted she’s out on her ear.

She's one of the best people I've met, so I know how to categorise you now. 

Lowest turnout in UK general election since universal suffrage, report shows

Great enthusiasm for Starmer and his Tory-Lite acolytes.  But hey, he’s definitely got a mandate in Scotland!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/12/lowest-turnout-in-uk-general-election-since-universal-suffrage-report-shows

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Lowest turnout in UK general election since universal suffrage, report shows

Great enthusiasm for Starmer and his Tory-Lite acolytes.  But hey, he’s definitely got a mandate in Scotland!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/12/lowest-turnout-in-uk-general-election-since-universal-suffrage-report-shows

While I agree that the turnout/result isnt a ringing endorsement of Starmer, I think the main reason for the awful turnout is that for the past couple of years almost everyone has been pretty sure of the result. I know a handful of people who couldn't vote because their postal votes didn't arrive on time, and none of them seemed particularly vexed about it.

I was quite surprised to read that Labour's share of the vote was slightly higher in Scotland than England. As for a mandate, it's so subjective. It's easy for someone to argue that parties do/don't have one depending on their viewpoint. 

33 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I was quite surprised to read that Labour's share of the vote was slightly higher in Scotland than England. As for a mandate, it's so subjective. It's easy for someone to argue that parties do/don't have one depending on their viewpoint. 

Labour are claiming they’ve won a mandate in Scotland with 37 seats and 35.3% of the vote.  In 2015 when the SNP won 56 seats and had 50% of the vote Labour said the SNP didn’t have a mandate.

Yeah, that’s pretty subjective!

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Labour are claiming they’ve won a mandate in Scotland with 37 seats and 35.3% of the vote.  In 2015 when the SNP won 56 seats and had 50% of the vote Labour said the SNP didn’t have a mandate.

Yeah, that’s pretty subjective!

Did they? I don't remember anyone claiming that, but happy to be proved wrong.

The arguments over 'mandates' in recent years in Scotland, have been about a second referendum. So, maybe on that specific point some people argued that there wasn't one. People who want a second referendum will argue there is a mandate, those who don't will argue that there isn't. Both can make a case for it. I'd argue that's subjective.

No one serious would have argued that the SNP didn't have a mandate to make decisions. I don't like FPTP, but the results have given Labour the ability to make decisions. 

Edited by houston_bud

23 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Did they? I don't remember anyone claiming that, but happy to be proved wrong.

The arguments over 'mandates' in recent years in Scotland, have been about a second referendum. So, maybe on that specific point some people argued that there wasn't one. People who want a second referendum will argue there is a mandate, those who don't will argue that there isn't. Both can make a case for it. I'd argue that's subjective.

No one serious would have argued that the SNP didn't have a mandate to make decisions. I don't like FPTP, but the results have given Labour the ability to make decisions. 

Excruciating Sarwar interview with Martin Geissler a day or two after the election.  As someone posted earlier Geissler ended up asking Sarwar if he knew what a mandate was.