Father's/Mother's Day

I was asked what I wanted for Father's Day last year. I replied "nothing". Harassed into choosing something I asked for nothing of monetary value, but asked for a day to myself. Sit in my pants all day, play the playstation type thing.

She arranged a day out for herself and I spent the day with the wean. (which was fantastic but not what I asked for.)

Anyway. It's a load of shite. I never want anything whereas I've to spend a fortune on her "from the wean". 

The (now adult) wean doesn't get me Father's Day presents - I've decided to believe this is a decision we both came to. Wee shite.

However, he already gave me the best one ever when he was wee; he had an obsession with stuffed hearts, the kind you see around Valentine's Day, and had a huge collection. He overheard me talking about getting something for my father and came shuffling up to me with one of his hearts, saying it was for Father's Day. He could buy me a fucking house when he's older and it wouldn't beat that  :P

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

.........there used to be a dog near me with “Adolf” on its kennel. He was a German Shepherd though so it was maybe an innocent, traditional name from Alsace.

Adolf was a common German forename for a long time until a certain Mr Hitler made it unpopular.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

He could buy me a fucking house when he's older and it wouldn't beat that  :P

He may be putting you into a care home at some stage. Sounds like a good kid. Respect. 

On a similar vein but still gift related, my dad’s mad on golf, he would play it 7 days a week if he could. For years anytime it was a Ryder cup year he’d get the dvd for Christmas and it would be played Christmas morning. Easy gift and he loved it. 

For Father’s Day I usually grab him a couple bags of sweets and some assorted beers. Nothing wild 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BFTD said:

It's that time of year again - dunno about anyone else, but my old man is one of the "difficult to buy for" people, so I try to keep an eye out for something all year round. No joy in the past twelve months, so I'm hoping maybe P&B might have some ideas (or, at the very least, some amusingly inappropriate ones). Feel free to ask for help yourself, share gifts that you've found for your own folks, or presents that you've received from your kids (you lucky devil).

My father is your archetypal hard-right Tory Brexiteer who likes cider, WWII planes, and cars. He also loves the TV show NCIS for some reason. He spent his life working in construction, but I haven't found any fertile ground for gift ideas there. I've tried selection baskets of cider before, but he only drinks his favourite brand and reacts to trying anything new like you've asked if he fancies a colonoscopy. He's already got tons of WWII memorabilia and I don't know if he would appreciate more clutter. I used to get away with getting him DVD box sets for dreadful shows like Mind Your Language, but he doesn't watch them anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

Get him a solid gold medal, encrusted with diamonds, he certainly deserves it, listening to you and your opinions, for goodness knows how long.

Thank you.

eta Does he wear a watch? A classic timepiece would be nice. IMO.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Get him a solid gold medal, encrusted with diamonds, he certainly deserves it, listening to you and your opinions, for goodness knows how long.

Thank you.

eta Does he wear a watch? A classic timepiece would be nice. IMO.

I save my terrible opinions for P&B - what kind of monster do you think I am, torturing an elderly man with the shite I come out with?

Being a tradesman he's a fairly manly man, so he's not one for jewellery, unfortunately.

11 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Load of pish and I dont want my son to waste his money buying a card or present.

^^^ Really, really, really wants a card AND a present.  Pretends he doesn’t.  Cries himself to sleep.

41 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I save my terrible opinions for P&B - what kind of monster do you think I am, torturing an elderly man with the shite I come out with?

Being a tradesman he's a fairly manly man, so he's not one for jewellery, unfortunately.

A wristwatch is not 'jewellery'.

Would you say this to Buzz Aldrin/Neil Armstrong about their Omega Speedmasters?

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Would you say this to Buzz Aldrin/Neil Armstrong about their Omega Speedmasters?

Now that you have the time on your phone, surely watches only survive as a piece of jewellrey rather than a necessity ? 

16 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Even if I knew what an Omega Speedster was, I doubt Armstrong would care, being dead.

Quite sensibly, Buzz doesn't appear to wear jewellery on his punchin' arm.

main-qimg-2297a79e73bff4d07d21b833d050d0

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

This year I expect to receive cans of Budweiser (even though I don't like it) and Star Wars stuff (even though I'm not a big fan of Star Wars). 

Maybe you need to be more open about your favourite science fiction franchise rather than hoping your kids pick up the tiniest of subtle clues.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

This year I expect to receive cans of Budweiser (even though I don't like it) and Star Wars stuff (even though I'm not a big fan of Star Wars). 

Massive respect for Scott's trolling there.

Hope he didn't ruin who killed Dumbledore.

On 26/05/2024 at 16:07, Deanburn Dave said:

Adolf was a common German forename for a long time until a certain Mr Hitler made it unpopular.

I’m sure most on here know this but by way of a bit of trivia for those that don’t:

The “Adi” in “Adidas” is of course a result of the founder’s name being Adolf.  His nickname was “Adi”.  His surname was Dassler.  By combining the first three letters of the his first and surname he came up with Adidas. 

His brother Rudolph formed Puma.

The T shirt below reflects which brother is considered to have been most successful:

IMG_8079.jpeg

Just now, Shadow Play said:

I’m sure most on here know this but by way of a bit of trivia for those that don’t:

The “Adi” in “Adidas” is of course a result of the founder’s name being Adolf.  His nickname was “Adi”.  His surname was Dassler.  By combining the first three letters of the his first and surname he came up with Adidas. 

His brother Rudolph formed Puma.

The T shirt below reflects which brother is considered to have been most successful:

IMG_8079.jpeg

Didn't they have a row about joining the Nazi Party, so Rudi left? Can't remember which was the fascist.

This is worth bringing up if an American corrects your pronunciation of Adidas, as I don't think anyone says Adi as ah-DEEEEE.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Didn't they have a row about joining the Nazi Party, so Rudi left? Can't remember which was the fascist.

This is worth bringing up if an American corrects your pronunciation of Adidas, as I don't think anyone says Adi as ah-DEEEEE.

There are a few suggestions as to why they went their own way.  The one that seems to hold most weight was Adolf managed to avoid remaining in the army in order to run the company whereas Rudolph did not.  Rudolph felt Adolf had used the situation to gain more power in the company.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Even if I knew what an Omega Speedster was, I doubt Armstrong would care, being dead.

Quite sensibly, Buzz doesn't appear to wear jewellery on his punchin' arm.

main-qimg-2297a79e73bff4d07d21b833d050d0

Buzz's Speedmaster was robbed/vanished in transit when he got back, and it's never been found, would probably be the most expensive watch on the planet, beating Newmans Daytona which went for 18 million.

Thank you.