Father's/Mother's Day

5 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

There are a few suggestions as to why they went their own way.  The one that seems to hold most weight was Adolf managed to avoid remaining in the army in order to run the company whereas Rudolph did not.  Rudolph felt Adolf had used the situation to gain more power in the company.

Adidas certainly out on top but a strange 70s take on what everyone was wearing, didn't matter as long as it was Adidas or Umbro. 

20240528_000508.thumb.jpg.a0c3ec6d02b0cd9a6200aff0cc05014b.jpg

10 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

Adidas certainly out on top but a strange 70s take on what everyone was wearing, didn't matter as long as it was Adidas or Umbro. 

20240528_000508.thumb.jpg.a0c3ec6d02b0cd9a6200aff0cc05014b.jpg

It's not obvious in that photo but Cruyff was allowed to wear a shirt with 2 stripes instead of 3 as he was a Puma man whilst adidas provided the kit to Holland.

17 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

There are a few suggestions as to why they went their own way.  The one that seems to hold most weight was Adolf managed to avoid remaining in the army in order to run the company whereas Rudolph did not.  Rudolph felt Adolf had used the situation to gain more power in the company.

Fanta was the nazi produced alternative to coca cola.

Cards of any kind, Christmas, birthday, easter, fathers day etc are a waste of money and trees.

I do buy my Dad a bottle of malt for father's day. My Mum gets a bottle of Sherry for mother's day.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's not obvious in that photo but Cruyff was allowed to wear a shirt with 2 stripes instead of 3 as he was a Puma man whilst adidas provided the kit to Holland.

Cruyff is one of the best footballers there has ever been. 

Last couple of years the daughter has made me vouchers. " Afternoon in the pub" "day watching the racing" stuff like that. Hoping now the son is older and started craft and that he'll give me vouchers too and I'll get two afternoons in the pub

On 26/05/2024 at 10:59, BFTD said:

No, but that's a nice idea, and it sort of ties in with my work too. Not too far away from him either - I'm going to give that a shot and see what he says, thanks!

Also, Google does something nice when you search for Bletchley Park :P

Update: he's been to Bletchley Park; doesn't fancy another trip. Shot down a few other daytrip suggestions too.

He's a massive NCIS fan for some reason, so I thought I'd try one of those coffee-table books you see about those kinds of shows. Of course, this appears to be one that nothing's been released for except "fan books" that look printed on an old monochrome copier.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Update: he's been to Bletchley Park; doesn't fancy another trip. Shot down a few other daytrip suggestions too.

He's a massive NCIS fan for some reason, so I thought I'd try one of those coffee-table books you see about those kinds of shows. Of course, this appears to be one that nothing's been released for except "fan books" that look printed on an old monochrome copier.

Slightly tangential but if he's into NCIS-type stuff, how about Surgeons Hall Museum in Edinburgh ?

https://museum.rcsed.ac.uk/

16 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Christ - I thought my wife was difficult to buy for.  Stick a tenner in a card.  

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Fanta was the nazi produced alternative to coca cola.

I did not know that.  Just read about it and it would appear it was all to do with the fact that during WWII Germany could not get the syrup required to continue making Coca Cola.

3 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

I did not know that.  Just read about it and it would appear it was all to do with the fact that during WWII Germany could not get the syrup required to continue making Coca Cola.

Aye, I've seriously wondered how far products have come from that time. Do you get Fanta in the cafe at Auschwitz? Do the staff discourage turning up in a Volkswagen, dressed in Hugo Boss gear? Younger people tend not to know about these things.

I've known old people who were very anti Japanese or German and would avoid goods from either.

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

I learned a thing

Johan Cruyff, the High Priest of Dutch Soccer, Dies at 68 - The New York  Times

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I learned a thing

Johan Cruyff, the High Priest of Dutch Soccer, Dies at 68 - The New York  Times

Apparently, there's a few players in the past accepted boot sponsorship, then cut off the logos to stick on to their actual favoured boots.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

What about a box set of The World At War series if he's into his war series? Unless he can get it through his TV package. 

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Shoot some Germans and send him the skins.