New SPFL Trust Trophy format

54 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just when you think this shite tournament can't get any more farcical. Fair play to the authorities :lol:

Absolutely this. The Welsh and northern Irish teams were far less of an issue than b-teams. Also to imply in their statement it was due to scheduling difficulties is underhand as it was the old firm b-teams that kept causing problems there by not playing their games in the scheduled slots due to youth international call ups.

The selection of the lowland league participants is an absolute farce too. Shire are closer to the EoS league than the SPFL FFS. Imagine having the brass neck to invite in the old boys despite their league positions!

Fair play on the improved sponsorship but what a minter of a lineup.

A wee trip to Wales or Ireland was always great fun for supporters - somewhere different and a welcome change. The nonsense with the selection of LL teams is a slap in the face to those clubs that are trying hard to improve themselves, depriving them of an opportunity to test themselves against 'bigger' clubs.  The B teams inclusion is an insult to the other clubs that missed out because of the SPFL chicanery.

Really disappointed in this announcement although the increase in prize money is welcome.

They're not even trying to hide their disdain for the rest of the pyramid, are they?

Would be interesting to see if any of the promoted teams got the invite if they finish as far down the LL or HL if they were to return there. I wonder how long you have to be an SPFL club for before you get start getting handouts.

The people in charge of Scottish football need hunted.Blatant self preservation pervades the game in this country.

Giving hand outs to their pals who were so shite even with everything in their favour still got relegated!

The SFA just sit back and do nothing because it’s run by the people from these same clubs!

Maxwell had the cheek to tell MSP’s that there was no need for independent regulator in Scotland too.

Can you imagine if Uefa tried this for one of their competitions, by invitation only. Doesn't affect Premiership clubs so the media don't care, if they've even noticed.

Maybe it would just be easier all round if they just invited two teams to compete in the Final?  Let's say, East Stirlingshire v Berwick Rangers.  Would save all the flaffing around.

Posted (edited)

"We must constantly seek the approval of the Old Firm and English Football!"

The sooner Doncaster buggers off to being Chief Exec of some gutter EFL pish back down South the better. It's not totally as simplistic as just him leaving but his hands are all over shite ideas as usual.

Edited by Benidorm

most fans of scottish teams wanted their club to be drawn away v a welsh/irish team so they can have a wee trip away....my young lad and his mates all went down to watch dundee v TNS the other season and had a cracking time...this cup doesnt gather much interest and i think taking away the welsh/irish teams will make it worse.

30 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

"We must constantly seek the approval of the Old Firm and English Football!"

The sooner Doncaster buggers off to being Chief Exec of some gutter EFL pish back down South the better. It's not totally as simplistic as just him leaving but his hands are all over shite ideas as usual

Neil will do whatever his masters tell him so long as they keep paying circa £400k per annum.

On 27/05/2024 at 11:11, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Third Lanark and St Bernard’s may think themselves unlucky not to be invited here. What’s the cut off point for rewarding the failure of former league teams?

Still breathing Peebles Rovers, Vale Of Leven & Royal Albert getting done dirty here

22 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

If you mean Rangers then I think they're in it.  They weren't in the Lowland League last season but they were in this cup.  We had to reschedule our game against them because they had players off on international duty, without whom they couldn't possibly be expected to play Airdrie. 

It's also hilarious that the B teams are being kept apart in the draw, presumably because even as brass-necked an institution as the SPFL would feel just a wee twinge of embarrassment as 17 assorted mums, dads and bored younger brothers playing in their phones turn up for Motherwell Weans vs. Hibs Weans.

Any team participating should have to commit to the scheduled dates. Players on international duty... tough!

1 hour ago, forfarton said:

Any team participating should have to commit to the scheduled dates. Players on international duty... tough!

Agreed.  If you can't meet the scheduled date because you've something more important on then you forfeit the tie. 

Am I right in assuming the Premiership clubs don’t get prize money for their B teams being in this? I added up the prize money for each round and it came to a total of £905,000 but the announcement says “an estimated £790,000”.
Are my sums wrong or is it less and estimated because they don’t know how the B teams will get on?

13 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Am I right in assuming the Premiership clubs don’t get prize money for their B teams being in this? I added up the prize money for each round and it came to a total of £905,000 but the announcement says “an estimated £790,000”.
Are my sums wrong or is it less and estimated because they don’t know how the B teams will get on?

Don't know about that but I thought the estimated part was to do with still to be determined TV money.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't know about that but I thought the estimated part was to do with still to be determined TV money.

I think the TV money is in addition to the prize money. The second quote below is after the prize money list

“Further sums are available as ‘facility fees’ for all live TV games, with the final payout to clubs set to exceed £800,000 for the first time ever.”

“In addition, each club playing (whether home or away) in a live televised SPFL Trust Trophy on BBC ALBA will receive a facility fee payment of £1,500”.