As fans we wish to see teams who have had successful seasons to be rewarded for thier efforts. The coming seasons SPFL trust trophy have "invited" 6 teams from the lowland league to play. This has caused much angst to 4 of the clubs who finished higher in the league. I know that it's little to clubs in the championship but it is completely wrong on all levels. The SPFL need to have the senior clubs boycotting it and refusing to play until they reward clubs on merit. 

4 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

It is a very silly set up, but clubs are absolutely not going to boycott the tournament over it.  Certainly not with the increased prize money on offer now.

As a fan of one of the clubs missing out, I certainly wouldn't expect SPFL clubs to boycott the tournament. That's disproportionate.

I would ask them to make their views known to the SPFL board and officials though, to help avoid it from happening again. If there's an opportunity for a vote or motion on this then they should take that. This is the old boy's network at its worst.

I think the four ex-SPFL clubs in the Lowland League that have been invited should decline, though. East Stirlingshire were relegated 7 years ago and finished 14th. If that was my club I'd email them to say I want them to turn it down. It's embarrassing. 

Posted (edited)

@GordonS
Yeah, I agree with that.  Boycotting a tournament is pretty last-resort stuff, and as you say a disproportionate response.  I don't think many clubs who aren't getting hit by this would think it worth missing out on prize money and probably getting fined to boot just for the sake of Linlithgow rather than East Stirlingshire getting to be in it.  I don't see many clubs having enough of a personal or business stake in it to feel moved to do anything about it, but it really does leave a bitter taste to me as a fan.  It's, as you say, embarrassing that East Stirlingshire get finagled into this. A farce.

Edited by A Diamond For Me

Only people with no feel for the game would expect supporters to treat games against reserve teams as competitive. It’s a complete indignity to ask a first team at any level to play someone else’s reserves in anything other than a friendly or regional kick about contest. 

4 minutes ago, an86 said:

Only people with no feel for the game would expect supporters to treat games against reserve teams as competitive. It’s a complete indignity to ask a first team at any level to play someone else’s reserves in anything other than a friendly or regional kick about contest. 

The hysteria that goes on in here about the colts is hilarious

1 minute ago, Arab_R_us said:

The hysteria that goes on in here about the colts is hilarious

Can you imagine a world in which you’d have to pretend a cup final against Celtic or Rangers reserves was a proper cup final? A real game of football? One set of supporters caring. The others treating it as a development exercise. It’s an embarrassment. 

2 minutes ago, an86 said:

Can you imagine a world in which you’d have to pretend a cup final against Celtic or Rangers reserves was a proper cup final? A real game of football? One set of supporters caring. The others treating it as a development exercise. It’s an embarrassment. 

its about as interesting as Queens Park against Forfar tbh. Actually if done right it would be more interesting, if i was watching some young exciting upcoming Scottish players play nice football and not just Hoof it.

1 minute ago, Arab_R_us said:

its about as interesting as Queens Park against Forfar tbh. Actually if done right it would be more interesting, if i was watching some young exciting upcoming Scottish players play nice football and not just Hoof it.

Ah. You’re just at it. Fair enough. 

40 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

My dream of seeing Clyde play down the road in Solihull is over, then. But we could still draw Ross County Colts. Wahey. ☹️

Don’t want to be the bearer of bad news after your Solihull disappointment but Ross County binned their B team. 

3 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

nobody actually gives a shit about this competition unless your team gets to the final and even then its just a flicker

It's to do with integrity of sport and the point of having a league where teams have something to play for. 

I’m not all that fussed about losing the foreign teams, especially with the increased prize money I think it makes sense to keep as much of that within Scottish football as possible.

That said, the dream of Connah’s Quay away - GBNF x

Get the B teams to f**k, and invite the whole Lowland and Highland leagues into the competition. 

9 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

nobody actually gives a shit about this competition unless your team gets to the final and even then its just a flicker

Maybe aye, maybe naw, but the guid auld diddy cup is the tournament that gets less diddy the further you progress in it. 
I assume that like me most fans want their team to win every game they take to the park to contest, regardless of its diddyness 

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Get the B teams to f**k, and invite the whole Lowland and Highland leagues into the competition. 

Sadly it’ll never happen. The bigot twins will never agree to something that’ll give another team a possible thirty boab boost. 

2 hours ago, foreverarover said:

The coming seasons SPFL trust trophy have "invited" 6 teams from the lowland league to play. This has caused much angst to 4 of the clubs who finished higher in the league. 

They have been doing this in the League Cup too which is a far bigger deal.

2 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I don't think many clubs who aren't getting hit by this would think it worth missing out on prize money and probably getting fined to boot just for the sake of Linlithgow rather than East Stirlingshire getting to be in it.  

Would be interesting to see them try issue fines, when Premiership clubs have freely opted out in the past.

1 hour ago, Arab_R_us said:

Which really might be about to change with the increased prize money on offer.

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

Maybe aye, maybe naw, but the guid auld diddy cup is the tournament that gets less diddy the further you progress in it. 

Not gonna lie - annoys me more than it should that Morton haven't had our day out winning this thing.