Cost of going to Football (Scottish Championship Edition)

Posted (edited)

After the disappointment of losing 4-0 to Ross County yesterday my son and I had a very long trip home. In between his frequent moaning of how close the nearest McDonalds was one of the things we spoke about was how much we had actually travelled this season. With that in mind and I thought for a bit of fun I’d work how much we had actually travelled. I then expanded it to show how much I'd actually spent on tickets. I was originally going to post this in Rovers sub but though in might have some general appeal and I'd be interested in comparisons with other Championship supporters.

Travel

I don't live in Kirkcaldy so it's a 36 mile round trip to every home game

17 League home games - total 612 miles

13 League Away games - total 1132 miles

8 Cup games (3 home, 5 away) - total 496 miles

4 Play-off games (2 home, 2 away) total miles 464

Total miles for the season - 2704 (42 games)

Costs

I've got a season ticket along with my son

Adult Season ticket - £285

Under 18 - £50

Away - 13 away league games attended - Total cost of tickets £376.00

(For the 2 of us the cheapest was Arbroath at £24, Most expensive Dundee United £40)

8 Cups games - £200

4 Play-off games - £131

PPV

There were a few games early in the season that I couldn't make, these are Cup and Friendlies bought mainly on Raith TV (including an East Fife game I had no recollection of buying).

Total - 5 Cost £46.99

Totals

Total Games attended 42

Total Ticket Cost - £1088.99 (don't tell the missus)

A couple of side notes. I've not worked out the fuel costs which I would think are reasonably high, but I'm not sure how to work this out. As a general measure I was able to get to and from Dingwall for £30 of diesel.

Food - If you've seen me at the Rovers you can easily work out that I like a good pie, so this would be roughly £15 a game , usual order is 2 steak pies and 2 Irn Brus split between my son and I.

Edited by mrpaddyx

It’s not cheap following your team home and away! 
Especially when two pies and a Fanta costs £11 in Dingwall 😜

In terms of your travel costs, I’d imagine driving a diesel you’re probably getting around 45mpg, so your 2700 miles is about £450. 
But if you can genuinely do the 300mile round trip to Dingwall for £30 then you’re getting closer to 70mpg so your season diesel cost would be less than £300. 

Im not working out my costs, I don’t want to know (and I’ve only done about half a dozen away trips this season). 

Posted (edited)

Obviously we were in league 1 last season but just for my own curiosity as I actually have no idea...

Home Games:

Travel x 16 home league matches + 3 cup matches (66 mile round trip from Glasgow) = 1254 miles

Season ticket £240 

Fuel £200

Falkirk Supporters Society £120

Programmes £10

Total £570

Away games:

Travel x 13 away league matches + 3 cup matches = 1580 miles (which tbf included Cove x1, Annan x1 and QotS x2, won't have that problem next season & replacing with 4 games in Glasgow will be a huge saving) 

Tickets £320

Fuel: £225

Pies £10

Tend not to buy pies, programmes, 50/50s etc often but have made a small allowance for each above. Usually driving for convenience so any amount on alcohol would also be small

Total £555

Plus around £100 a year going to Scotland home games 

Total: £1225

I would caveat some of those fuel costs with the fact my parents still stay in Falkirk so would be visiting them some weekends anyway, likewise with meeting friends who stay in Edinburgh before or after those games 

Seems fairly reasonable overall. Don't have sky etc and only really get merchandise for Birthdays/ Christmas, so the above is probably a decent reflection of my total football cost. The less that is said about the trip to Germany next month the better though :lol:

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

Posted (edited)

This could be pretty interesting and I'm very glad my wife won't be reading it.

Travel:

I also don't live in Kirkcaldy and it's a 90-mile round trip for me to a home game.

16 x home league games (missed 2 when I was in Turkey) x 90 miles - 1,440 miles

11 away league games:-

Dunfermline - 2 x 64 miles - 128 miles

Dundee United - 2 x 106 miles - 212 miles

Queens Park - 2 x 76 miles - 154 miles

Arbroath - 2 x 136 miles - 272 miles

Ayr - 140 miles

Airdrie - 60 miles (my shortest competitive journey all season - only Linlithgow friendly was closer)

Partick Thistle - 72 miles

2 x home cup games - 2 x 90 miles - 180 miles

Away cup games:-

Dunfermline - 64 miles

Annan - 212 miles

Hamilton - 73 miles

Livingston - 88 miles

Play-offs:-

2 x home games - 2 x 90 miles - 180 miles

Partick Thistle - 72 miles

Ross County - 306 miles

Total distance travelled for the season - 3,653 miles.

Costs:

Tickets

I've tried to work out the total ticket cost for the season and (including season tickets for me and my son - his was free to be fair) I've come up with £819

Fuel

Switched cars part way through the season and actually have no idea on my mpg in either anyway (the new car is pretty shite on economy though) so have come up with a figure of £600

Food

Taking an average of £10 a game as I often only get a coffee and my son doesn't come to all games - £370

Totals

37 games attended, travelling 3,653 miles at a total cost of £1,789.

On average I travelled 98.7 miles and spent £48.35 for each game.  Totally worth it for the season we had.

Edited to add: Didn't even include the cost of buying kits (home and away for me and the boy), hoodies, oodies, scarves, mugs, Rovers lotto and Club 1883 membership but you could easily add another £700 for the season (seriously glad my wife won't see this!!!!).

Edited by AllanJM

On 27/05/2024 at 21:52, mrpaddyx said:

(including an East Fife game I had no recollection of buying).

Buying this may have been the low point of my season 🤣 and I was at both Abroath collapses, The 4-0 on Sunday, The Tannadice humbling and every game of the January losing streak !

Very interesting posts.

The thing that stood out to me in the original post was the massive price differential in pricing for an adult and an U18 son to attend matches - £24 for Arbroath and an eye watering £40 for Dundee United! Shows the lack of consistency in pricing across the league.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to add this here because I it seems necessary and lots of falkirk fans and others have commented on it but the prices at falkirk stadium for food which is supplied by pie sports is extortionate

7 quid for a pie and drink for 1 person. If you have a family you could easily be paying upwards of 20 quid whilst last season it was barely reaching 20 quid for a family

Screenshot_20240705_205545_WhatsApp.jpg

14 hours ago, Hisingdoon said:

I'm going to add this here because I it seems necessary and lots of falkirk fans and others have commented on it but the prices at falkirk stadium for food which is supplied by pie sports is extortionate

7 quid for a pie and drink for 1 person. If you have a family you could easily be paying upwards of 20 quid whilst last season it was barely reaching 20 quid for a family

You can understand the price of a ticket changing as you go up a division but seems weird that the pies go up too 😂 . Hampden is the one in my mind that seemed expensive last season (absolutely no idea if it actually was compared to other grounds but it seemed it at the time). £3 seems a lot for a cup of Bovril or tea, no idea how our prices compare as I’ve not bought a pie and Bovril for a while as I can’t be arsed with the queues. I’m guessing it reasonably priced as every game the queues are pretty long. 

£1.50 for a scotch pie at Glenafton yesterday.

Catering prices in the league have gone up in general. Pie Sports prices will be at the top but they are a decent product however even if I am just getting something myself I probably get something every other game on average. 

Almost nine quid for a drink and a hotdogs seems a lot as that is what a lot of kids would like or choose. 

I suppose food prices have gone up even getting a takeaway on Uber Eats or Just Eats seems to have rocketed.

I know it's new supplier but was there nothing about a "meal deal"? My son usually got a hot dog, drink and sweets/chocolate for £6, there's no chance I'm paying £10 a time for 18 home games based on those prices

3 quid for a cup of juice or some hot water poured over your powder of choice seems ridiculous but it is what it is. Captive market and all that. Remember several years ago I think we charged £16 a ticket and £1.90 for coffee and Dundee were charging £21 and £2.80 respectively! I think we're now at £19 and £2.60 so God knows what it's like in the Premiership. 

I mind at Albion Rovers a few years ago they charged 50p for a cup of juice (poured from a big bottle of Asda own stuff) and £1 for a hot dog (also purchased from Asda, along with the buns, meaning a significant mark up on each one sold when you consider the actual costs involved for each one given a tin of hots dogs was about a quid and a packet of rolls the same). However, it was only a quid so didn't mind paying it.

It should be in the SPFL rules that tap water is free at all grounds.

27 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

A sound idea but they won't bother their arses as OF fans are happy to drink out of the toilet so they wouldn't have consideration for supporters of any other teams in the SPFL.

2 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I suppose food prices have gone up even getting a takeaway on Uber Eats or Just Eats seems to have rocketed.

You're paying the restaurant, the driver and the aggregator. If everyone just phoned up then collected from the restaurant, food prices would be significantly lower. A big part of inflation is what folk are willing to pay for convenience.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Absolutely. That would be one benefit of alcohol being allowed in grounds again. The licence would surely stipulate that free water is to be available.

49 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

You're paying the restaurant, the driver and the aggregator. If everyone just phoned up then collected from the restaurant, food prices would be significantly lower. A big part of inflation is what folk are willing to pay for convenience.

Absolutely. That would be one benefit of alcohol being allowed in grounds again. The licence would surely stipulate that free water is to be available.

If I could get them to come back for the empty boxes, I would.

19 hours ago, Hisingdoon said:

Jesus suffering f**k. 

4 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

You can understand the price of a ticket changing as you go up a division but seems weird that the pies go up too 😂 . Hampden is the one in my mind that seemed expensive last season (absolutely no idea if it actually was compared to other grounds but it seemed it at the time). £3 seems a lot for a cup of Bovril or tea, no idea how our prices compare as I’ve not bought a pie and Bovril for a while as I can’t be arsed with the queues. I’m guessing it reasonably priced as every game the queues are pretty long. 

I remember going to Wembley for a Scotland friendly (Miller put us ahead 2-1, we lost 3-2) and the cost at the kiosks were absolutely mind blowing. It is bizarre that the bigger the team and ground the more expensive the pies etc. 

4 hours ago, HoBNob said:

I remember going to Wembley for a Scotland friendly (Miller put us ahead 2-1, we lost 3-2) and the cost at the kiosks were absolutely mind blowing.

Ah yes, the old "If they'd charged like that at Bannockburn they'd have won."  

(A 1962 recording of that joke from fieldwork by Hamish Henderson, School of Scottish Studies)