Group A πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ ΏπŸ‡­πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¨πŸ‡­

Posted (edited)

Just under two weeks until the tournament kicks off and I hadn't seen topics for each group individually. Not sure there will be much interest in Group A on here, but here are the fixtures along with UK kick off times and channels:

Friday 14th June - 8.00pm - Germany vs Scotland - ITV
Saturday 15th June - 2.00pm - Hungary vs Switzerland - ITV
Wednesday 19th June - 5.00pm - Germany vs Hungary - BBC1
Wednesday 19th June - 8.00pm - Scotland vs Switzerland - BBC1
Sunday 23rd June - 8.00pm - Scotland vs Hungary - BBC1
Sunday 23rd June - 8.00pm - Germany vs Switzerland - BBC (TBC)

Excited much folks? Personally, I can't wait!

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

• Bully Wee Villa changed the title to Group A πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ ΏπŸ‡­πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¨πŸ‡­

Great threads, mate.

I was about to do the same thing.

It cannot start soon enough for me. I knew the three 90s tournaments, even though I was a kid. I didn't go into those tournaments with much hope.

Even with Euro 2020, there wasn't just hope.

This one is different.

• 2 weeks later...

The nerves are kicking in.

This has more of a feeling of France 98 than it did Euro 2020. Probably because we didn't play a football heavyweigh in Euro 2020.

As opposed to France 98 when we had Brazil and Euro 2024 were we have Germany.

5 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Posted without comment.

Β 

AKA...no, better not go there. His granny's hotpot was good by all accounts.

Edited by jimbaxters

The only annoying thing about our group is the kick off times. A 2pm or 5pm kick off time would have been perfect for a Friday or Sunday game. All of the games being at 8pm isn’t what I was after.

Playing Germany in the opening game is great in terms of the sense of occasion. Will the Germans be slow starters? Can’t see it.Β 

Β 

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The only annoying thing about our group is the kick off times. A 2pm or 5pm kick off time would have been perfect for a Friday or Sunday game. All of the games being at 8pm isn’t what I was after.

Playing Germany in the opening game is great in terms of the sense of occasion. Will the Germans be slow starters? Can’t see it.Β 

Β 

How come? Just the long wait until kick off? Less time to party after the game?

I think it's better for those who have to work during the day and I like the feel and atmosphere of evening games much more than day games personally. International matches played during the day feel a bit like boozing before lunch, slightly wrong.

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think it's better for those who have to work during the day and I like the feel and atmosphere of evening games much more than day games personally. International matches played during the day feel a bit like boozing before lunch, slightly wrong.

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

At tournaments I expect a variety of kick off times. I am old and need my bed. Daytime drinking is the way to go.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

At tournaments I expect a variety of kick off times. I am old and need my bed. Daytime drinking is the way to go.

It's good for the players they can just keep their scheduleΒ 

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Fair enough, I love the evening kick offs and spending the whole day building up to it. Daytime games always feel like the filler games before the big one in the evening. Serbia v Switzerland or Cameroon v Australia. That kind of thing.

Just now, 2426255 said:

Fair enough, I love the evening kick offs and spending the whole day building up to it. Daytime games always feel like the filler games before the big one in the evening. Serbia v Switzerland or Cameroon v Australia. That kind of thing.

As a tournament opening game, I’d prefer the kick off to be around 4pm. What time was the kick off for the Scotland v Brazil game at the β€˜98 World Cup? That should be the benchmark. From memory that was an afternoon kick off.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

As a tournament opening game, I’d prefer the kick off to be around 4pm. What time was the kick off for the Scotland v Brazil game at the β€˜98 World Cup? That should be the benchmark. From memory that was an afternoon kick off.

It was 5.30pm local time, 4.30pm UK time. Same for the Norway game.

Just now, GordonS said:

It was 5.30pm local time, 4.30pm UK time. Same for the Norway game.

Aye, about then would be perfect for the opener with Germany.πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺΒ 

I'm pleased for the later kick-offs because temperatures will be lower, and we're not exactly familiar with central European summer temperatures while our opponents all are.

My one gripe with the scheduling is that Switzerland and Hungary will already have played a match in those stadiums before we get there, which gives them a little more familiarity.Β 

I think Friday night for the opener is great, a huge occasion but theΒ  a whole weekend of football after it.

I'm happy with the evening kick offs for the other two personally as I'll be in Germany so you get the full day build up (which will lead to a few casualties).

Afternoon kick offs are for beer gardens in the sun to watch somebody like Czechia or Denmark. Games you're not too bothered about but hopefully they are great games.