Group C 🇸🇮🇩🇰🇷🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

4 hours ago, SlayerX said:

The only people who weaponize the term "woke" is people like Nigel Farage, Tommy Robinson and people who like political, racial and social injustice.

Exactly what Gary Linwoker would say. 

44 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Not sure how old you are but even in the 70s and 80s when most English teams were full of Englishmen, the occasional foreigner and some Scots, Welsh and Irish their expectations were always way more than the talent in the squad for a tourney, if anything, although they are still deluded, I think they (media, fans) are more reserved now.

Whilst that's possibly true, their expectations back then were based on much more reasonable evidence. They had won the thing in 1966 which was fairly recent history even if the odds were stacked in their favour at a home tourney (they possibly also should have won in 70, they certainly should have made the final). And English club sides, which as you say were not stocked with foreigners, were absolutely dominating Europe. They won the European Cup almost every year from 1977 to 1984 and were regular winners / finalists in the Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup also. They couldn't translate it into international success though. Indeed there's an argument they were never worse. Didn't qualify for the 78 World Cup. didn't seriously compete in 82. To be fair under Robson in 86 and 90 they did well but even in both of those, they struggled out of their group before clicking. As for the Euros, didn't qualify in 84, hopeless in 88, hopeless in 92. In fact. other than 1996 and 2020/21, both of which were held in (or predominantly in) England, they've NEVER done anything of note in the Euros.

The English now tend to over-rate their own players based on the level of their own club game, forgetting that it's jam packed with foreign players who largely carry their clubs to success. The top clubs aren't exactly over-endowed with English players. Kane's a genuinely world class striker and Bellingham's talent is limitless at the moment. Foden and Saka are capable of reaching those levels but haven't quite settled into that sort of form on an international stage yet. Walker's a very good right sided defender. Otherwise..................................

I suppose there's an argument for Declan Rice but he only really stands out due to the lack of any other English player to perform that role currently. Players like Rodri and Toni Kroos are far better than him.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Ray Parlour hit back this morning at critics who claim England players just don't care enough. His argument... if anything they care too much.

A team with too much talent who care too much really should be skooshing this.

And therein may lie their problem.  English national sides through the decades have a common theme - the sum of the parts is very often greater than the whole.  Too much bling and not enough pragmatism.

Speculation that Trent will be replaced by Gallagher on Tuesday.

Also heard that Bellingham has played more than 100 matches in 2 years. That be a lot of football!

It's also obvious that Kane's back injury is still bothering him.

Gareth Southgate doesn't have his troubles to seek.

Interesting that Harry Kane is politely raising the point that ex-players who have won nowt are not necessarily helping matters.  I have some sympathy for him, personally.  The older strikers having a go played in a front two, with very good partners.  I am not seeing anyone working with Kane in the way e.g. Son, would.

On a lighter note, I think my mate has been overcome with the hype since moving down south because even he thinks it will be a stroll past Slovenia.  I wish I shared his confidence.

15 hours ago, Red Kite said:

Interesting that Harry Kane is politely raising the point that ex-players who have won nowt are not necessarily helping matters.  I have some sympathy for him, personally.  The older strikers having a go played in a front two, with very good partners.  I am not seeing anyone working with Kane in the way e.g. Son, would.

On a lighter note, I think my mate has been overcome with the hype since moving down south because even he thinks it will be a stroll past Slovenia.  I wish I shared his confidence.

The English media have a lot to answer for with the hype they've pushed onto this England team.

"The best England team, maybe ever"

Makes you wonder if these media people have heard of Gascoigne, Hoddle, Waddle, Hoddle, Robson, Ferdinand, Carrick, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Cole, Campbell, Seaman, Barnes, Owen, Rooney, Neville, Terry, Butcher, Shilton, Walker, etc.

It's the age old thing with the English media by building the team up only to knock them down.

Talking of the aforementioned Redcafe. One bright spark said that Gareth Southgate should leave the England gig even of he wins Euro 24.

That is a mentally dangerous degree of hatred. 😛

Edited by Chripper

10 hours ago, Chripper said:

The English media have a lot to answer for with the hype they've pushed onto this England team.

"The best England team, maybe ever"

Makes you wonder if these media people have heard of Gascoigne, Hoddle, Waddle, Hoddle, Robson, Ferdinand, Carrick, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Cole, Campbell, Seaman, Barnes, Owen, Rooney, Neville, Terry, Butcher, Shilton, Walker, etc.

It's the age old thing with the English media by building the team up only to knock them down.

Talking of the aforementioned Redcafe. One bright spark said that Gareth Southgate should leave the England gig even of he wins Euro 24.

That is a mentally dangerous degree of hatred. 😛

Good points.  The English media over-rate themselves, massively.  I find it interesting that Media Studies is always pilloried .  I think it is now becoming more important then ever to see how they operate.  One of the things I am proudest of is the don't buy the paper I won't name campaign.

I have seen a lot of those players listed, out on the park.  I am not too keen on the goalies, but the rest are names you would like in your side.  The only manager I can recall who got England looking like they were enjoying themselves and dld pretty well was Terry Venables.  His reign ended because of non-football matters, which was unfortunate.  He was not the only manager, or progressive FA bigwig who got binned for off-field activities.  Like some kind of football self-sabotage.

It sounds like our friend on RedCafe is jumping on the current bandwagon and getting himself in a bit of a tizz.  Sometimes, you wonder if it is you who is out of step.  However, it is worth questioning flippant comments e.g. Wayne Rooney comes across to some as lacking intelligence.  However, he was explaining about pressing and I was able to have a chat with a lad at a local cricket game, where he said you can apply similar ideas to draw out batters.  Rooney has also given the concrete example of Totti, as to how we can use Kane and named the players he would use.

Some good football tonight would be welcome for me, but it is not necessary other than to shut the media up.

Edited by Red Kite

Southgate can play some fringe players now the 2nd round is booked and the permutations are still fairly unknown, so it'll either be a dour 0-0 draw as they play like they've never met each other before or a nerveless 5-0 slapping of some country with a name from a Tin-tin book