Group C 🇸🇮🇩🇰🇷🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I can't imagine ever singing God Save The King at any time. I feel sorry for the England fans that are republicans, there must be some out there. 

Proudly proclaiming servility with Europe watching on is a really shit look. And Kane is a diving b*****d and Foden's haircut is shit and Guy Mowbray called Jordan Pickford ' The Banks Of Washington' I am petty and would probably invent a reason to dislike the England football team if there was none but they make it so easy.

Sweet Caroline can piss off too. It was only mildly annoying when it was on every wedding djs rotation with Come On Eileen but in the last few years it has become the most annoying song in the world. 

Still I wish them all the best in their tedious march to their semi final defeat. Our players will be on holiday by then.

Maybe I missed this, maybe addressed previously, but in what way, shape or form was Bellingham’s goal “brave”?

IMHO “not” going for that header would be a total cop-out.

11 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Maybe I missed this, maybe addressed previously, but in what way, shape or form was Bellingham’s goal “brave”?

IMHO “not” going for that header would be a total cop-out.

Well...he might have hurt himself ..the wee soul... he's only 20 .

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If Bellingham does not play or is off song, then England are a very average team.

They need to wrap him in cotton wool if they have any chance of progressing.

Aye. One of the best players on the planet in your team, yet Southgates built his side around a full back whos wedged into the middle of the park. 

It feels pretty clear Rice/Alexander-Arnold can't track runners nearly well enough and will leave the defence horribly exposed in every game.

8 hours ago, DoingThe42 said:

I think he's conservative because he knows their defence isn't good enough.

A better team than Serbia would have taken about three off them tonight. I think he's made an error in not dropping Bellingham back to play next to Rice. He's got loads of people who can do Bellingham's role well, but nobody who's good next to Rice. Makes Rice a weaker part of the team, weakens the midfield, and exacerbates the issue of no left back and no established centre half pairing.

Bellingham playing deeper would give them better balance. You get knocked out of tournaments due to weaknesses. That team has glaring weaknesses. It's a common thing to focus on the good players they have, but their deficiences are obvious.

They only win this competition with a lot of luck and avoiding the serious teams. Other than that, they don't have enough about them.

If we had Carrick, who was hardly picked, available for this side then he is getting more caps.  If Billy Gilmour is English, he's alongside Rice because he has the technical skills required not to lose the ball.   The side has weaknesses and a conservative manager, but he will get stick whatever he does.  Foden was poor and people are getting upset because TAA made a couple of errors.  Getting Bellingham on the ball nearer to the opposition defence, has at least created some vibes.  Bellingham could potentially drop back if Eze comes in further up the pitch.  On a positive note, I am thankful we are not hearing about any cliques in the squad, WAGS and the usual circus around an England side.

Just now, Red Kite said:

If we had Carrick, who was hardly picked, available for this side then he is getting more caps.  If Billy Gilmour is English, he's alongside Rice because he has the technical skills required not to lose the ball.   The side has weaknesses and a conservative manager, but he will get stick whatever he does.  Foden was poor and people are getting upset because TAA made a couple of errors.  Getting Bellingham on the ball nearer to the opposition defence, has at least created some vibes.  Bellingham could potentially drop back if Eze comes in further up the pitch.  On a positive note, I am thankful we are not hearing about any cliques in the squad, WAGS and the usual circus around an England side.

It's just the first game . . . 

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye. One of the best players on the planet in your team, yet Southgates built his side around a full back whos wedged into the middle of the park. 

It feels pretty clear Rice/Alexander-Arnold can't track runners nearly well enough and will leave the defence horribly exposed in every game.

England won't be playing with that team against the big boys. Bellingham will be playing where Alexander Arnold was. Then Kane will be able to fanny about in midfield. It still won't be enough to win the tournament, but they could get to the final again. 

England losing momentum over 90 minutes is nothing new, even a very ordinary Serbia.

A goal up against Croatia in the World Cup, lost; a goal up in the Final against Italy, lost. 

In both of those tournaments they had a run to the semi finals where they played a local scouts XI and a German beer Hall select. Is the draw this time much the same?

19 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

England won't be playing with that team against the big boys. Bellingham will be playing where Alexander Arnold was. Then Kane will be able to fanny about in midfield. It still won't be enough to win the tournament, but they could get to the final again. 

I'm unconvinced. Has Southgate ever played Bellingham + Rice as the deeper CMs? Always seems like Rice +1 then Bellingham ahead.

It just feels, to me, like Southgate wants to win something while also looking clever, due to the criticism he gets, so moving Alexander-Arnold into midfield and having big rotations with him going wide and others cutting in, is that for him.

18 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

England losing momentum over 90 minutes is nothing new, even a very ordinary Serbia.

A goal up against Croatia in the World Cup, lost; a goal up in the Final against Italy, lost. 

In both of those tournaments they had a run to the semi finals where they played a local scouts XI and a German beer Hall select. Is the draw this time much the same?

I think their draw is tougher this time.   A piss easy group as usual of course, but I think they're in the same side of the draw as France.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I think their draw is tougher this time.   A piss easy group as usual of course, but I think they're in the same side of the draw as France.

Yeah, last sixteen would be fairly easy but the QF would likely be the Spanish, Italians or Germany, before meeting France in the semis. 

The thing that strikes me most about England is just how incredibly tedious they are.  They have so much talent in their squad, but I don't remember ever watching a game with them and thinking they were particularly interesting to watch.  Always slow-paced, boring stuff that usually gets results up until they inevitably don't.  I felt similarly about Spain (I fucking hated watching Spain) but at least when they were being incredibly dull they were doing so while being undeniably technically brilliant.  They were a snake coiling and squeezing around you, but they'd take several weeks to actually finish you off.  England are a snake that thinks its a lion.  They won't do you any harm.  If we were in their position, I'd be far more worried about what's coming than was made out by the happy chuckle-fucks singalong that passed for punditry post-game.  Because apparently "you don't want to be perfect in your opening game". I mean, you could try it Rio you fucking tool.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Dr Nigel Waistcoat getting tight on the socials today.

They're never happy. 

It's Dr Nigel Cardigan now.  Don't want to scare the youngsters.

And I'd hope he was, and I suspect it's not from the happy clapper "It's caaaahming home" fans but the more reasonable ones that can see they're wasting a lot of talent.  I get teams growing into tournaments, but Serbia looked pretty hopeless, and by the end England were hanging on for a win.  Never mind a France or Germany or Spain, Denmark could be licking their lips and hoping for a similar approach.  One of the top tier sides could well tear them to pieces.

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

Always slow-paced, boring stuff that usually gets results up until they inevitably don't. 

Absolutely this. It isn't helped by that offensive dirge provided by the brass band. If I haven't already switched over by then, that's usually my cue.

17 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Absolutely this. It isn't helped by that offensive dirge provided by the brass band. If I haven't already switched over by then, that's usually my cue.

Yeah, when I was typing that, the turgid football is always soundtracked by a turgid brass band. 

England have an embarrassment of riches at their disposal, but under Southgate it really seems like their main strategy is just to win fouls high up the pitch. 

Harry Kane is by some considerable distance the worst diver/cheat in world football. I almost thought Neymar could rival him, but at least Neymar does tend to get clattered sometimes. I can't believe refs fall for Kane's antics so often.

Despite their limitations under Southgate there's always the chance everything could click into place in a game and they could beat anyone on their day. Whether they could do it 2 or 3 times in a row against better opposition is another question entirely.

23 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

England have an embarrassment of riches at their disposal, but under Southgate it really seems like their main strategy is just to win fouls high up the pitch. 

Harry Kane is by some considerable distance the worst diver/cheat in world football. I almost thought Neymar could rival him, but at least Neymar does tend to get clattered sometimes. I can't believe refs fall for Kane's antics so often.

Despite their limitations under Southgate there's always the chance everything could click into place in a game and they could beat anyone on their day. Whether they could do it 2 or 3 times in a row against better opposition is another question entirely.

That's been their gimmick since Southgate took over.  Win penalties and free kicks near the box from Kane, Saka and until very recently, Grealish going down under the slightest brush of their shirt.  They're a set piece team. 

You can hardly blame them. 

England invented football then nasty foreigners soon invented cheating and diving and started denying them numerous major trophies. 

Plus, what they do is merely professionalism.