Group D 🇵🇱🇳🇱🇦🇹🇨🇵

Just now, AUcal said:

Really shite punditry when they don't even understand that the on field decision was offside.

Shocked, shocked that Jermaine Jenas has completely misunderstood what he 's been paid to watch.

Am I just being thick?

How are Poland out? If they beat France and Austria get beat from Netherlands, and make up the 4 goal difference, do they not finish 3rd? With a chance?

Just now, johnnydun said:

Am I just being thick?

How are Poland out? If they beat France and Austria get beat from Netherlands, and make up the 4 goal difference, do they not finish 3rd? With a chance?

Head to head comes first so they can't finish above Austria.

The goal rightly chopped off - you can’t be standing that far offside that close to the goalkeeper and inside the 6 yard box and not be interfering with play. Seems like all the commentary team think it was a wrong decision and it seems pretty divided on here.

Just now, throbber said:

The goal rightly chopped off - you can’t be standing that far offside that close to the goalkeeper and inside the 6 yard box and not be interfering with play. Seems like all the commentary team think it was a wrong decision and it seems pretty divided on here.

To me, whether someone is interfering or not comes down to whether anything would've happened differently had they not been there. In this case I don't think his presence made a difference as the keeper wasn't getting anywhere near it anyway.

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

I'm never sure whether head to head or goal difference is a better tie breaker. 

Over a whole league season its goal difference. Think over the course of a league season teams should be rewarded more for consistently handing out thrashings/limiting defeats to one goal.

On shorter form tournaments head to head is objectively the fairer one but I accept that GD gives more teams something to play for on the last day.

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

The commentators were basically asking that the Keeper dive into the Dutch boy's knees to get the offside call

7 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Over a whole league season its goal difference. Think over the course of a league season teams should be rewarded more for consistently handing out thrashings/limiting defeats to one goal.

On shorter form tournaments head to head is objectively the fairer one but I accept that GD gives more teams something to play for on the last day.

Aye I meant in short form tournaments like this, in a 9 month season GD is definitely superior. I don't know if GD in a 4 team 3 game group leads to more or less dodgy scenarios. 

10 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The commentators were basically asking that the Keeper dive into the Dutch boy's knees to get the offside call

If it wasn’t one of England’s direct rivals for the trophy it was happening to you can guarantee they wouldn’t have been arsed a tenth of what they were.

I had been quite impressed with the efficiency of VAR at the competition before tonight's game. It had been pretty easy to go through a full game more or less forgetting that it was in operation.

I am opposed to it outright, but, as someone who primarily consumes the Scottish Premiership, it has been slightly refreshing to watch games where they aren't just pausing play for thirty seconds after every corner to pore over some non-incidents.