League Cup Group H - Ross County, Raith Rovers, Hamilton, Stirling & Stranraer

11 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

Best free kick I've seen at forthbank in a long while.

Yeah it was an absolute peach, keeper totally stranded.

Thought Stirling did OK in spells, as you alluded to pretty well organised and a fair few young players who will obviously get better with more game time. Wish your team all the best for the coming season although I reckon East Fife will cruise that league this season.

1 hour ago, Moonball said:

Despite the commentary (not even remotely close to offside), that’s light years ahead of anything Ross County  produce.  Well done.  

On a County note, Flapjack and Lamie can’t be starting league games.  

45 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I never made it down to Stranraer so didn't see the whole game, what's your issue with Jack Hamilton our keeper yesterday. Was he error strewn?

The Stranraer goal was a was very poor defending by Ricky Lamie, being so tight to his man & slow to turn, when the chase was on. Not too much at fault with JH with the goal imo.

3 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I never made it down to Stranraer so didn't see the whole game, what's your issue with Jack Hamilton our keeper yesterday. Was he error strewn?

The Stranraer goal was a was very poor defending by Ricky Lamie, being so tight to his man & slow to turn, when the chase was on. Not too much at fault with JH with the goal imo.

Hamilton's indecision creates the easy space and time for the attacker to score that goal.  If he backs up, the space in behind him disappears, if he continues to advance he takes the time away from the attacker.  It may well have ended up a goal regardless, but Hamilton's indecision contributes to that goal.  It is an exceptional finish though.  Lamie primarily at fault for it.

Sam Denham already looks a million times better than Jordan McGregor. Looks like it could be a decent partnership at the back with him and Sula.  We desperately need a left back though. Callum Crane is much more effective in midfield, and he's a tad slow to be a full back anyway. And we need numbers in general, the subs were mostly all youth players. 4-5 more new faces I reckon, although whether we'll be able to afford that is another matter.

Raith by far the better side on the day. Last season we had an exceptional League Cup run, the highlight being the 4-0 demolition of St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park, but then we went on to get relegated. Be happy with the opposite this season. The home game vs Stranraer a week on Tuesday will be the first real test of where we are this season. The other two (and yesterdays game) are free hits to build up match sharpness. 

yeah that goal is on lamie, keepers stuck between a rock and a hard place

I’ve only seen the highlights of yesterday, but Ricki Lamie looked to have an absolute shocker; constantly getting too tight to his man and has the turning circle of a bus. 

Andrew Macleod doesn’t look ready either. He looked nervous, and also has a part to play in the Stranraer goal by shitting out of the challenge before the flick on. 

7 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I’ve only seen the highlights of yesterday, but Ricki Lamie looked to have an absolute shocker; constantly getting too tight to his man and has the turning circle of a bus. 

Andrew Macleod doesn’t look ready either. He looked nervous, and also has a part to play in the Stranraer goal by shitting out of the challenge before the flick on. 

Lamie was rank rotten, gives me the fear.

Unfortunately Macleod wasn’t great either. Hopefully he is developed through the season though as it would be great to see him come into his own. 

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Despite the commentary (not even remotely close to offside), that’s light years ahead of anything Ross County  produce.  Well done.  

Yes, all credit due to Stranraer’s production. I also enjoyed the commentary, nice dry humour too. Well done. 

Edited by Lanky Highlander

Can anyone who's been to any of the pre-season games hazard a guess as to how this team will line up? I'm thinking maybe a 3-5-2 with Maguire at CB, but not sure if McGinty is an outside CB. 

GSoDhNmXcAAqFNy.png

Honking performance & honking penalties to go with a honking home top.

Rankin doesn't learn.

Out after 1 game as we'll be lucky to beat Stranraer never mind County & Raith on the basis of that tonight.

It's hard to say how indicative it'll be of the rest of the season, but my God it was bad and it looks like the League Cup is once again over before it's begun. 

I'm just happy we got a penalty shootout and I correctly predicted the four takers, including where McGowan and [redacted] would go.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

It's hard to say how indicative it'll be of the rest of the season, but my God it was bad and it looks like the League Cup is once again over before it's begun. 

I'm just happy we got a penalty shootout and I correctly predicted the four takers, including where McGowan and [redacted] would go.

McGowan looks even slower and more of a liability than he did last season and that was a honking penalty.

I agree it's difficult to predict how we will do based on one game though, especially as we all know how seriously the club takes this competition.

The thing is we should be taking it seriously. Get through and draw a big away game and that's a load of money in the bank. 

Mibbe we're just a honking cup team.🤔

On 16/07/2024 at 22:01, cdhafc1874 said:

Honking performance & honking penalties to go with a honking home top.

Rankin doesn't learn.

Out after 1 game as we'll be lucky to beat Stranraer never mind County & Raith on the basis of that tonight.

Based on our games against them, Stranraer look a better team than Stirling so could be a real struggle (especially at Stair Park).