League Cup Group A - Dandies, Diamonds, Doonhamers, Sons & EK

Posted (edited)

The Lanarkshire clubs seem to have their fixtures publicly available for some reason.

Dons away to EK on Saturday 20th, quite gutted it’s not Dumfries.

ETA: didn’t realise we could get two Saturday away games - ideal!

Edited by lubo_blaha

Pish, pish, pish ... on holiday 13th July and don't subscribe to Premier bloody Sports, so missing the Dons game.

• 1 month later...

I see Sons fans have to buy a ticket in advance for their tie at Pittodrie. No pay at the gate or even the ability to buy online on the day of the game. Scottish football really knows how to encourage custom

Just a heads up for anybody planning to travel to Dumfries by train on Saturday.
It is a rail replacement bus between Kilmarnock and Dumfries that takes two hours. Also, the last one back leaves Dumfries at 18.43 which is obviously before the game ends.
Alternative would be to go via Carlisle. Not sure if a Glasgow/Dumfries ticket would be valid. Might not be that much more expensive to buy an advance Glasgow/Carlisle return and then a Carlisle/Dumfries return separately. Best to check on National Rail enquiries website or app.
Lockerbie isn’t really an option as there’s no bus back to Lockerbie after the game (you could get a taxi, of course).
Another alternative is the X74 bus from Glasgow to Dumfries. Bus back is at 20.45.
Might not affect that many people but I just thought I’d mention it anyway.

On 05/07/2024 at 08:41, Nowhereman said:

I see Sons fans have to buy a ticket in advance for their tie at Pittodrie. No pay at the gate or even the ability to buy online on the day of the game. Scottish football really knows how to encourage custom

Aye that is a bit of a joke tbh, I’d have thought you could at least buy them online. 

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Will be interesting to see how this game pans out. A win would be a necessity, I think.

I'm slightly concerned as we haven't had much of a preseason, and the last two times we visited Dumfries we didn't win in 90 minutes. I remember the last time we went, we needed a winner from Considine in the 119th minute. Still, it's a late kickoff, so I'll be a bit pissed 😄.

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

I'm slightly concerned as we haven't had much of a preseason, and the last two times we visited Dumfries we didn't win in 90 minutes. I remember the last time we went, we needed a winner from Considine in the 119th minute. Still, it's a late kickoff, so I'll be a bit pissed 😄.

This IS preseason. I know it's called the League Cup in name but the majority of teams have played 2 or 3 bounce games at this point with a host of trialists involved and these games are nothing more than getting some slightly more competitive minutes into squad members. Understand for sides like Aberdeen they want/need to get through but the vast majority are treating this as an extention of preseason. 

58 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This IS preseason. I know it's called the League Cup in name but the majority of teams have played 2 or 3 bounce games at this point with a host of trialists involved and these games are nothing more than getting some slightly more competitive minutes into squad members. Understand for sides like Aberdeen they want/need to get through but the vast majority are treating this as an extention of preseason. 

Yep, very much what the group stage of the LC is these days ...

Aye. I obviously want us to get through for the financial boost. But it's hard not to treat it like preseason for sides like us. Hopefully Craic is allowed to play and can get a running start for the Alloa game. 

Interested to see how Murphy approaches this. We'll be stronger with Lyon, Cochrane and Benji in the middle and I expect McIntosh will be a lone striker rather than a front 2. If we give Aberdeen a decent game I'll be happy. 

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye. I obviously want us to get through for the financial boost. But it's hard not to treat it like preseason for sides like us. Hopefully Craic is allowed to play and can get a running start for the Alloa game. 

Interested to see how Murphy approaches this. We'll be stronger with Lyon, Cochrane and Benji in the middle and I expect McIntosh will be a lone striker rather than a front 2. If we give Aberdeen a decent game I'll be happy. 

The Final is on 15 December so it won’t make any difference to Killie if he is cup-tied (if that’s what you meant).

3 minutes ago, Artemis said:

The Final is on 15 December so it won’t make any difference to Killie if he is cup-tied (if that’s what you meant).

Aye that's what I meant. Hopefully means he'll be eligible. I assume Killie can recall him at any time though? Surely they'll let him play. As I say, it's more so he can get some game time before the serious stuff starts. 

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye that's what I meant. Hopefully means he'll be eligible. I assume Killie can recall him at any time though? Surely they'll let him play. As I say, it's more so he can get some game time before the serious stuff starts. 

I think clubs can only recall outfield players during the transfer window. So, Killie can only recall him in January, meaning he can’t play for them in the League Cup this season whether he plays for Queens in it or not.

52 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I think clubs can only recall outfield players during the transfer window. So, Killie can only recall him in January, meaning he can’t play for them in the League Cup this season whether he plays for Queens in it or not.

Unless they call him back tomorrow or at any point in the next 6 weeks? In fact, does that rule actually apply until the end of September, since teams at our level can loan players until then?