League Cup Group A - Dandies, Diamonds, Doonhamers, Sons & EK

6 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Pretty turgid as a Queens fan watch. Better team won. Impressed by Airdries passing. 

Positives for us: 

Keeper was solid, Hewitt excellent, Dickinson good, Brydon did well and thought in the first half Oscar and Ross were impressive. 

Once again we carried no luck in losing Lyon and Cochrane, once they were gone so were our chances. 

We looked organised. 

Negatives

We were simply terrible up front, made few chances, no pace. McKechnie was dreadful again, Walker was too lightweight and carried no threat and once again Zander failed to make an impact. Essential we sort this quickly if we are to make a good start to the league. 

Our short passing to no avail in our own half was awful to watch. 

Today shows what a shallow squad we have. 

We need to pick our men and concentrate in defence. Although both goals were well taken, the first in particular was avoidable. 

Let’s hope that we can get a goalscorer in and that today’s injury to Lyon ( hamstring) isn’t as bad as it looked. 

Onwards and upwards! 

Did you only arrive after Lyon and Cochrane were hooked? There was absolutely nothing turgid about us today. The better team was Airdrie after our two best players went off. I'd have fancied us to take something if they never went off. Until the goal Airdrie didn't have a shot on goal and we should have been 1 up. 

The second half was always going to be a struggle but they still didn't look out their depth. They battled hard and but for a rare mistake from MacIntyre kept Airdrie out. At HT I'd have fancied Airdrie to put at least 3 past us. We had chances on the break as well. It was better than almost anything we witnessed last season which was in fact turgid all year. 

I was quietly impressed with Molloy. Yes he had one big brain fart in the first half but he looks quite confident in himself which is good and he was the one to play the first real telling "long" ball that unlocked Dumbarton's defence and set us on our way to the rout it became. Time will tell how he copes against better opposition but I'm optimistic he can grow into it. Good to see some of the other cast outs from last season get a bit of time on the pitch and even a goal for some 

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Is the X on the arsecheek of Aberdeen's shorts to mark the spot their season will crash onto, like has every year for about the last 40 years?

None of the sentence makes any sense whatsoever.

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Did you only arrive after Lyon and Cochrane were hooked? There was absolutely nothing turgid about us today. The better team was Airdrie after our two best players went off. I'd have fancied us to take something if they never went off. Until the goal Airdrie didn't have a shot on goal and we should have been 1 up. 

The second half was always going to be a struggle but they still didn't look out their depth. They battled hard and but for a rare mistake from MacIntyre kept Airdrie out. At HT I'd have fancied Airdrie to put at least 3 past us. We had chances on the break as well. It was better than almost anything we witnessed last season which was in fact turgid all year. 

Disagree. 

We competed ok until the injuries but with only the Oscar and McKechnie chances. After Airdrie went ahead there was no way back. A good save from Jay and some errant shooting and they could have had more. 

We may have counter attacked but the only real chance we had was one Douglas missed close in. 

Our short passing in our own half and almost any attacking prowess made it a turgid watch. 

Why don’t you ask some of the people that sat near me. They were considerably more acid about the style of play today and our forward line. 

It’s all about opinions that’s why it’s a forum. For debate. 

I really hope we get the injured back and get some forward recruits as I want us to get off to a fast start. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

"FT: Aberdeen 6-0 Dumbarton

Willie Miller and Liam McLeod are trying to remember if Aberdeen have ever scored six goals in one half.

Anyone keen to shed some light? My database is a bit thin pre 2000..."

Two that immediately come to mind are v Clyde in the Scottish Cup replay 1961/62 (10-3) and KR Reykjavik in the CWC in 1967/68 (10-0). The six goals came in the second half, the Dons scored 4 before half time in both games.

League cup tie v falkirk early 70s,0-0 half time 8-0 fulltime

1 minute ago, Dubford don said:

League cup tie v falkirk early 70s,0-0 half time 8-0 fulltime

1 hour ago, Ken Fitlike said:

IMG_0534.png

3 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Disagree. 

We competed ok until the injuries but with only the Oscar and McKechnie chances. After Airdrie went ahead there was no way back. A good save from Jay and some errant shooting and they could have had more. 

We may have counter attacked but the only real chance we had was one Douglas missed close in. 

Our short passing in our own half and almost any attacking prowess made it a turgid watch. 

Why don’t you ask some of the people that sat near me. They were considerably more acid about the style of play today and our forward line. 

I really hope we get the injured back and get some forward recruits as I want us to get off to a fast start. 

Airdrie literally did nothing until our two guys went off. The second half was a write off and Airdrie were comfortably the better side. If anyone thought we were turgid when Cochrane and Lyon were on then I'd recommend following a different side as that's as good as we've been for a while. 

Funnily enough I was about to comment about other folk. Some of the moaning near me was absolutely laughable today. Much like the Aberdeen game I think some QoS fans need a reality check. They seem to think we're still at the 2008 level. We're in L1 for a reason and were playing and competing very well with a good Airdrie side. At one point someone was having a right pop at Craik as well. He's a young boy who's barely played with other guys so far. Did he expect him to be rattling in a double?

I'm convinced these guys enjoy going to games just to shout at our own players. 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Airdrie literally did nothing until our two guys went off. The second half was a write off and Airdrie were comfortably the better side. If anyone thought we were turgid when Cochrane and Lyon were on then I'd recommend following a different side as that's as good as we've been for a while. 

Funnily enough I was about to comment about other folk. Some of the moaning near me was absolutely laughable today. Much like the Aberdeen game I think some QoS fans need a reality check. They seem to think we're still at the 2008 level. We're in L1 for a reason and were playing and competing very well with a good Airdrie side. At one point someone was having a right pop at Craik as well. He's a young boy who's barely played with other guys so far. Did he expect him to be rattling in a double?

I’ve already said we competed ok when Cochrane and Lyon were on. We created next to nothing after they went off and mostly soaked up pressure and played in our own half. Didn’t give me much to cheer about. 

There was a lot of disquiet in the fans around me today. They pay their money and are entitled to their views as much as you or I. Everyone is desperate for a little success and winning a few games in a row. Maybe you should cut them some slack. I didn’t get a lot of people being rude about specific players in my section just a lot of frustration. Maybe it was different where you were seated. 

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I would agree with this assessment. Full back (Hewitt?) was excellent against Hancock who usually glides past Championship full backs. Yes, we can play better but, thought your keeper was excellent as well and thought we should have had a penalty for hand ball second half.

Only negative was Queens did not change their shape at any point in the game - 5 across the back. Queens should have a good season.

4 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Disagree. 

Whilst I agree it wasn't pretty for long spells let's not forget we were playing against a team a division above and tipped by many to finish in the promotion play-offs, plus the Manager is being forced to play a fairly youthful/inexperienced team because of injuries. I wouldn't bother asking the people around you what they thought, they were probably the same lot shouting for the ball to be punted forward at every opportunity, they didn't seem to grasp that McKechnie and Walker had no chance of winning battles in the air. All in all the section has played out pretty much as expected for us, not really disgraced against the teams in divisions above us and getting positive results against the teams we would expect to do well against.

11 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I’ve already said we competed ok when Cochrane and Lyon were on. We created next to nothing after they went off and mostly soaked up pressure and played in our own half. Didn’t give me much to cheer about. 

There was a lot of disquiet in the fans around me today. They pay their money and are entitled to their views as much as you or I. Everyone is desperate for a little success and winning a few games in a row. Maybe you should cut them some slack. I didn’t get a lot of people being rude about specific players in my section just a lot of frustration. Maybe it was different where you were seated. 

The first thing you said was it was turgid. Not sure it was fair to lead with it tbh. As I say, I've watched plenty of pish the last few seasons from us (last season the highlight) and that wasn't remotely close to turgid today. Even after our losses.

I won't be cutting folk slack for moaning at a decent performance tbh. As I say, if they thought that was poor today they need a reality check/a new hobby. 

8 minutes ago, airdrieoldboy said:

I would agree with this assessment. Full back (Hewitt?) was excellent against Hancock who usually glides past Championship full backs. Yes, we can play better but, thought your keeper was excellent as well and thought we should have had a penalty for hand ball second half.

Only negative was Queens did not change their shape at any point in the game - 5 across the back. Queens should have a good season.

We were a back 3 tbh. We use wing-backs though. Obviously after we lost our two better performers they naturally got deeper to tighten us up unfortunately. 

Airdrie will have better games but from an Airdrie point of view I'd be happy with my side on the ball. Everyone looked comfortable receiving the ball, even under pressure. Passed it around really well at times as well. 

10 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

We ended the game with Johnston, Walker and Kennedy as the midfield three. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you choose to publicly air yours, others are just as entitled to challenge it. 

Given the players we had out today and the quality of the opposition we competed well today. Criticism of the second half attacking performance is churlish at best. 

Calling the passing turgid is laughable. At least you didn't do that while praising Airdrie 

Thought Queen's played some decent football at times and defended well (apart from the goals). Mochrie looks decent for Airdrie. Queen's best were Dickinson, Lyon (until injured) and special mention to Johnstone who played well. Hogarth is much improved since the howler he played against Rhuari Paton 2 seasons ago.

Thought we did well in the first half against a good Airdrie side, who to their credit always tried to play football. We started strongly and with Airdrie playing out from the back, we pressed well and might have forced a mistake on a couple of occasions.

Lyon is clearly a high quality footballer, and he could comfortably play in the Championship. Long before he went off clutching his hamstring, I was worried every time he went into a challenge as we really need to keep this guy fit for the more important league games to come. Fingers crossed he won’t be out for too long. I thought Cochrane was having a very good game game too, and it was Sod’s Law when he also had to come off, not long after Lyon. Hopefully that was just precautionary. I was impressed by Dickenson too, and feared the worst when he was involved in a bone-crunching collision near the end. Had we had any outfield subs left, I’d have expected him to come off at that point, but to his credit he gamely carried on. 

I’m glad Brydon is back, and he could form a decent central defensive partnership with Douglas. Hewitt was another who did well, and MacIntyre has obviously improved since his first loan spell. I thought Hogarth looked confident, commanding his box fairly well, and he made a couple of very good saves, particularly from one firmly struck low strike into the corner in the second half.

Johnstone and Ross did ok, but when we have a full complement of players available, I’d be surprised if either starts.

On the negative side, we looked very weak up front with the diminutive McKechnie and Walker up there. Craik looked ok when he came on, but it’s big step up from Under 18s football to League One. Not seen McIntosh play yet, but saw enough of Doherty last season to know that we definitely need more options in forward positions. I was hoping to see more of Kennedy, as he’s got a decent pedigree, and has played well against us in the past, but assume he’s not quite 100% fit and was only making up the numbers on the bench today.

I expect Airdrie will be in the mix for the promotion play off places in the Championship, but I came away thinking that with our first choice midfield available and a bit more threat up front, we could match up fairly well with them. 

Overall, provided we get another couple of players in (with emphasis on a forward and perhaps another centre back) to increase our squad depth, and get some of our injured players back soon (and shake off our worrying tendency to lose players to injury in multiples), I suspect we could do quite well this season - certainly much better than last season.

Edited by Frankie S

21 minutes ago, Binos said:

3 scots in Aberdeen starting line up

Scottish football is fucked

There is a danger you lose your soul and identity if over reliant on foreign players.

However, it is getting harder to sign the most promising under contract players from other Scots clubs, as post-Brexit they are attractive propositions for clubs with deeper pockets in the English system. 

As for yesterday - Dumbarton did very well for about 40 minutes. We looked ponderous, but the early second half goals and some energy from the subs changed things for the better.

PHG in particular looked as though he can potentially offer something that hasn’t been evident in his fleeting appearances so far. 

36 minutes ago, Binos said:

3 scots in Aberdeen starting line up

Scottish football is fucked

We're losing players to big teams in England while they're in the youth set up. Just lost a regular started to Rangers.

Other Scottish teams would rightly make us pay through the nose for their players.

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Whilst agreeing I thought we did pretty well for the first 44 minutes, or at least until Lyon and Cochrane went off whatever time that was, I'm not sure in reality it was "better than anything we witnessed last year". The dangers of reading too much into a positive League Cup campaign have been seen time and time again but our League Cup campaign last season included taking Motherwell to penalties and winning at Queen's Park to finish 2nd in the group. At that point I was pretty encouraged by our chances for the season ahead.

Aberdeen are better than Motherwell were, Airdrie are better than Queen's Park were but ultimately, despite finishing 3rd in the group and not 2nd, the group has played out pretty similarly. Lets see how we start against Alloa and hope it's better than the same opposition MD1 of the league last season.