West of Scotland AGM

12 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Just needs a compromise, if they play a round in late july and one mid august with competing clubs playing one extra midweek game then it would lead to far less madness in april/may. 

Remember that the Scottish Junior Cup affects not just the WoSFL fixtures, but also the East and North Region SJFA leagues. It's not as simple as Kennie just deciding how to fit the SJFA cup fixtures into the WoSFL's schedule.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

Remember that the Scottish Junior Cup affects not just the WoSFL fixtures, but also the East and North Region SJFA leagues. It's not as simple as Kennie just deciding how to fit the SJFA cup fixtures into the WoSFL's schedule.

Thanks for being so helpful but it does show the inconsistent priorities which the clubs have supported through the current Rules.

Is it not down to the Board of the WoS to show some leadership over matters which clearly directly affect the fixtures issues i.e. by giving the appropriate priority to competitions such as:

[a] League fixtures

the League's own Cup competitions

[c] the SFA Cup

and, not least, the Scottish FA Cup?

This is particularly so as not all clubs choose to also become members of a lower status organisation (in the sense that the WoS is a senior competition and the junior association is officially lower down the hierarchy of Scottish football i.e. alongside the amateurs, welfare, etc.).

Presumably a club or clubs chose to re-join the amateur FA as well as remaining in the senior status WoS that would be unacceptable to the Board. I don't know - just asking?

Maybe be better to let the real junior clubs up north run the Junior cup and let the WoS SENIOR League committee concentrate on running their 'full' league and spend their time working for their members. Rather than their attention being diverted by having to run another cup competition, while there are still a lot of teething issues to be address in the new league system they are supposed to be looking after

A lot of double-dipping going on

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Dev said:

Thanks for being so helpful but it does show the inconsistent priorities which the clubs have supported through the current Rules.

Is it not down to the Board of the WoS to show some leadership over matters which clearly directly affect the fixtures issues i.e. by giving the appropriate priority to competitions such as:

[a] League fixtures

the League's own Cup competitions

[c] the SFA Cup

and, not least, the Scottish FA Cup?

This is particularly so as not all clubs choose to also become members of a lower status organisation (in the sense that the WoS is a senior competition and the junior association is officially lower down the hierarchy of Scottish football i.e. alongside the amateurs, welfare, etc.).

Presumably a club or clubs chose to re-join the amateur FA as well as remaining in the senior status WoS that would be unacceptable to the Board. I don't know - just asking?

The WoSFL Constitution and Rules 2023-24 states the following :-

B56. It is mandatory for all eligible Clubs to compete in the Scottish FA Cup and South Region Challenge Cup each
season as well as any cup competition under the auspices of the League. The Board will also prioritise
participation in the Scottish Junior Cup for those member clubs in membership of the SJFA.

B57. Only competitions listed in rule B56 shall take precedence over any league or cup fixture organised by the
League. The League competition shall take precedence over any other competition.

Edited by glensmad

5 hours ago, glensmad said:

The WoSFL Constitution and Rules 2023-24 states the following :-

B56. It is mandatory for all eligible Clubs to compete in the Scottish FA Cup and South Region Challenge Cup each
season as well as any cup competition under the auspices of the League. The Board will also prioritise
participation in the Scottish Junior Cup for those member clubs in membership of the SJFA.

B57. Only competitions listed in rule B56 shall take precedence over any league or cup fixture organised by the
League. The League competition shall take precedence over any other competition.

Thanks for this.

There seems to be an issue directly arising from too few fixtures at the start period of the season, especially for clubs playing on grass pitches. However, there is no sign that this has been dealt with as, according to other posters, there's no change from last season.

Similarly are no visible signs of action to show any acknowledgement of the knock-on effects of league matches being shifted around/fitted in to fit in Junior cup games. Clearly,  when there is a problem re fitting in the other priority fixtures, the Junior competition should not be provided with the same status as other named competitions under B57. That would not prevent any club from entering that competition should it choose to do so but it would help to deal with  all other fixture issues.

It is easy to conclude that the Board isn't leading the way in dealing with such practical issues. Has this even been seriously considered at Board level? I understand that you may not be in a position to provide a full or even a meaningful response on a Forum. 

34 minutes ago, Dev said:

Thanks for this.

There seems to be an issue directly arising from too few fixtures at the start period of the season, especially for clubs playing on grass pitches. However, there is no sign that this has been dealt with as, according to other posters, there's no change from last season.

Similarly are no visible signs of action to show any acknowledgement of the knock-on effects of league matches being shifted around/fitted in to fit in Junior cup games. Clearly,  when there is a problem re fitting in the other priority fixtures, the Junior competition should not be provided with the same status as other named competitions under B57. That would not prevent any club from entering that competition should it choose to do so but it would help to deal with  all other fixture issues.

It is easy to conclude that the Board isn't leading the way in dealing with such practical issues. Has this even been seriously considered at Board level? I understand that you may not be in a position to provide a full or even a meaningful response on a Forum. 

Any club is free to propose and amendment to the rules but given that the vast majority (rightly or wrongly) play in the SJC it is unlikely to change. The board has no power to force through a change to the constitution as I read it. 

I get the frustration of some (mainly Bankies) fans on here about this 1 regarding the league fixture, but the issue is 2 separate issues regarding the SJC and wanting promotion and I have yet to see any club public say they do not want promotion  and we need to stop conflating the 2 issues Into if your club is in the SJFA it doesn't want promotion

26 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Who was voted in as The Chairman of the WOSFL?

Was there any other ideas put forward during the meeting?

Only Marty McFly could answer that at the moment.

On 31/05/2024 at 18:45, Arthurlie1981 said:

Any club is free to propose and amendment to the rules but given that the vast majority (rightly or wrongly) play in the SJC it is unlikely to change. The board has no power to force through a change to the constitution as I read it. 

I get the frustration of some (mainly Bankies) fans on here about this 1 regarding the league fixture, but the issue is 2 separate issues regarding the SJC and wanting promotion and I have yet to see any club public say they do not want promotion  and we need to stop conflating the 2 issues Into if your club is in the SJFA it doesn't want promotion

Nice try to deflect from the real issue!

If clubs voluntarily enter an outside WoS competition to the detriment of completing any WoS fixtures they have no justification for complaints re getting fixtures completed. Maybe such clubs should re-consider their priorities?

6 hours ago, Dev said:

If clubs voluntarily enter an outside WoS competition to the detriment of completing any WoS fixtures they have no justification for complaints re getting fixtures completed. Maybe such clubs should re-consider their priorities?

Aye, that South Challenge Cup is a bugger, ain't it?

10 hours ago, Dev said:

No deflection here just facts. Who is complaining about fixtures being completed? I mentioned once that having a teams having a fixture to complete after everyone wasn’t great but it was what it was. 

Can you show me where teams  have said the cup is a priority over the league?

Posted (edited)

Voluntary entry into any competition is ok. No problem. However,  the way the WoS clubs are currently dealing with it impacts clubs, including  those clubs which have not entered such competitions and, more importantly, those clubs which have entered but get problems fitting in re-jigged fixtures.

There is also the matter of player well-being, as more fixtures are voluntarily crammed into a season means an extension to the playing season, so less time for players to rest and recover and, obviously,  the more chance of serious or persistent less serious injury. Still I suppose that has all been taken into account by clubs?

Edited by Dev

7 minutes ago, Dev said:

Voluntary entry into any competition is ok. No problem. However,  the way the WoS clubs are currently dealing with it impacts clubs those clubs which have not entered such competitions and, more importantly, those clubs which have entered but get problems fitting in re-jigged fixtures.

There is also the matter of player well-bein, as more fixtures are voluntarily crammed into a season means an extension to the playing season, so less time for players to rest and recover and, obviously,  the more chance of serious or persistent less serious injury. Still I suppose that has all been taken into account by clubs?

Have the clubs voted for SJC games to be played on Saturdays and/or two legged semis?

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Have the clubs voted for SJC games to be played on Saturdays and/or two legged semis?

No, they just voted to give over control of the WoSFL fixture list. Even if it means cancelling WoSFL fixtures involving those that chose not to participate in the SJC.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

That wouldn't be a matter for the WoSFL AGM.

5 hours ago, Dev said:

Voluntary entry into any competition is ok. No problem. However,  the way the WoS clubs are currently dealing with it impacts clubs those clubs which have not entered such competitions and, more importantly, those clubs which have entered but get problems fitting in re-jigged fixtures.

There is also the matter of player well-bein, as more fixtures are voluntarily crammed into a season means an extension to the playing season, so less time for players to rest and recover and, obviously,  the more chance of serious or persistent less serious injury. Still I suppose that has all been taken into account by clubs?

I take your point regarding player well being but to play devils advocate they will receive more money for playing further into the season recompenses them for that. 

I have said before the league season should be better planned out but the job is to get the champions decided by a certain date and that was achieved. 

That wouldn't be a matter for the WoSFL AGM.

28 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I have said before the league season should be better planned out but the job is to get the champions decided by a certain date and that was achieved. 

We all know the WoSFL and the SJFA are the same thing now. No one has any integrity and are happy to be double dipping while thinking we are all stupid and ignoring the clear conflict of interest 

12 minutes ago, Spyro said:

We all know the WoSFL and the SJFA are the same thing now. No one has any integrity and are happy to be double dipping while thinking we are all stupid and ignoring the clear conflict of interest 

I hadn't realised that Kennie also held an official position with the SJFA until yesterday.

image.png.0051c2b4f4d6141960b3a531a878e798.png

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I hadn't realised that Kennie also held an official position with the SJFA until yesterday.

image.png.0051c2b4f4d6141960b3a531a878e798.png

Something we all knew but the point kind of got lost with idiots posting absolute nonsense about it all the time and deflecting from the real issue. The West of Scotland League experiment is dying a slow death with these people in charge

Edited by Spyro