LEZ - WHAT YOU THINKING?

Posted (edited)
On 30/05/2024 at 17:38, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

For me, the one in Edinburgh is tiny and will not make a big difference. Traffic will still be too much. I understand vehicle emissions is a problem but the bigger problem is traffic congestion.

The council have plans to ban non essential traffic in the city centre. So if you want to get from the old town to the new town. The only road you can do that will be Lothian Road which will create more congestion. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

On 30/05/2024 at 18:12, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Dundee one is similar. The LEZ is a tiny part of the city centre, that not many people drive through anyway.

Busier city streets have been left out.

It just seems like a half arsed box ticking exercise.

On 30/05/2024 at 18:20, invergowrie arab said:

The Dundee one is where there are narrow streets with high buildings which create air pollution issues where those streets also have the highest footfall of pedestrians.

Dundee was deliberately built this way in the late 19th century to reduce the impact of winds off the river which was fine but now means air circulation in the centre is poorer than in other areas 

The impact is probably less as our great city were miles ahead with city centre pedestrianisation in the 90s anyway.

The comments on The Courier Facebook page about the Dundee LEZ are wild. 

Who are all these people that supposedly drive right into the city centre to do their shopping? About 90% of the shops are either in a shopping centre, or on a street that was pedestrianised (as you say) in the 90s. 

Yes, the Overgate car park is in the LEZ but the old Debenhams one isn’t. Neither is the Wellgate one. So that’s parking sorted at both ends of town. 

Blue badge holders have an exemption, so they can still get up close to the few shops in Whitehall Street and the like.

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

Who are all these people that supposedly drive right into the city centre to do their shopping? About 90% of the shops are either in a shopping centre, or on a street that was pedestrianised (as you say) in the 90s. 

Yes, the Overgate car park is in the LEZ but the old Debenhams one isn’t. Neither is the Wellgate one. So that’s parking sorted at both ends of town. 

Blue badge holders have an exemption, so they can still get up close to the few shops in Whitehall Street and the like.

I've put the answer in bold above, the hotbed of absolute truth, rational debate and level-headed comments for a generation who get all their new from The Hail...

Its a either a scam, or a plan made by incompetents, really.

Anything that claims its to help emissions, but says a 3.9 v8 diesel that does -20mpg is good to go, is clearly wrong.

I'm a semi-pro (i.e. dreadful) musician, so have had to buy a compliant car to get my gear into city centres - my most recent motor probably wasn't getting through the MOT anyway.

Edinburgh Cooncil are closing the Cowgate, etc. for the festival - if they get their way, which they will, it will never re-open to traffic.

If we can all agree on one thing, it's that Edinburgh Cooncil are drooling imbeciles. 

16 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I'm a semi-pro (i.e. dreadful) musician, so have had to buy a compliant car to get my gear into city centres - my most recent motor probably wasn't getting through the MOT anyway.

Edinburgh Cooncil are closing the Cowgate, etc. for the festival - if they get their way, which they will, it will never re-open to traffic.

If we can all agree on one thing, it's that Edinburgh Cooncil are drooling imbeciles. 

Especially that Scott Arthur. 

7 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I'd certainly agree with that as far as the highway planners are concerned.  Yesterday lunchtime we were heading through for 2 family visits in Glasgow... effing awful trying to reach the City Bypass. There had been an accident on the A1 somewhere near the ASDA roundabout.  Traffic light junction at Milton Road/Harry Lauder road - gridlocked. Milton road - nose to tail.  Road to Jack Kane Centre from Milton Road - blocked/nose to tail at Milton Road end.  Road past Duddingston Village up to Niddrie Mains Road- blocked, nose to tail.  And of course, as it was a Saturday, the roads through Holyrood Park were shut.

Absolute effin shambles.   To be fair, once we eventually reached the City Bypass it was really quite quiet - coz nae c**t could get on to it from East Edinburgh!

Annnd..... breathe..... 

On 01/06/2024 at 19:24, Rizzo said:

We were due to go to an event in the city centre of Edinburgh tonight which starts at 20:30. 

A friend had offered to drive us in and his car complies with the LEZ. Unfortunately he's taken not well and had to give it a rain check at short notice. 

Trying to get in and use public transport to get us to the venue which isn't too far away from the Scottish parliament. Reckon we're going to miss quite a bit of the start and still debating whether we'd be cheaper just paying the fine.

Of course the Edinburgh one is being enforced from today onwards as well. Should have bought tickets for yesterdays performance, feckin typical.

My experience with public transport after this post did not endear public transport to me, finally got back home at 01:30.

37 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'd certainly agree with that as far as the highway planners are concerned.  Yesterday lunchtime we were heading through for 2 family visits in Glasgow... effing awful trying to reach the City Bypass. There had been an accident on the A1 somewhere near the ASDA roundabout.  Traffic light junction at Milton Road/Harry Lauder road - gridlocked. Milton road - nose to tail.  Road to Jack Kane Centre from Milton Road - blocked/nose to tail at Milton Road end.  Road past Duddingston Village up to Niddrie Mains Road- blocked, nose to tail.  And of course, as it was a Saturday, the roads through Holyrood Park were shut.

Absolute effin shambles.   To be fair, once we eventually reached the City Bypass it was really quite quiet - coz nae c**t could get on to it from East Edinburgh!

Annnd..... breathe..... 

That's why I prefer the Pathhead, Gorebridge, Leadburn, Carnwarth way if I'm over that end of the town at the weekend. The bypass is a joke

On 30/05/2024 at 17:59, Boghead ranter said:

...and Edinburgh's traffic policies for the past few years have been all about creating congestion, in the hope that drivers gave up driving in the city.

Rare Edinburgh council W. 

On 02/06/2024 at 21:10, Rizzo said:

My experience with public transport after this post did not endear public transport to me, finally got back home at 01:30.

But we keep getting told by the self righteous brigade that it doesn't take much longer and its only a minor inconvenience?

7 minutes ago, Empty It said:

But we keep getting told by the self righteous brigade that it doesn't take much longer and its only a minor inconvenience?

When public transport is done properly I'd say that's true but it's not even close to that in Scotland or the UK nor,I suspect,will it be even after they've made cars unaffordable for 99% of the population 

36 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

When public transport is done properly I'd say that's true but it's not even close to that in Scotland or the UK nor,I suspect,will it be even after they've made cars unaffordable for 99% of the population 

Couldn't agree more.

On 31/05/2024 at 13:54, HibeeJibee said:

Edinburgh council yesterday voted to ban fuel cars, foreign holidays, air travel and cruises from advertising on billboards, bus stops, etc. in the city - they decided to allow the depiction of meat to continue, for now at least.

This is to boost their drive for the capital to reach zero by 2030.

I truly truly believe some of the militant greens would quite happily see us never travel more than 15 minutes from our front door for anything. 

On 02/06/2024 at 21:05, Salt n Vinegar said:

Annnd..... breathe..... 

I was caught up in that as well - A1 was shut both ways at the junction with the bypass........for it to be closed as long as it was, it had to be a very bad, maybe fatal accident, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I truly truly believe some of the militant greens would quite happily see us never travel more than 15 minutes from our front door for anything. 

You are not wrong, but in this case it is a Labour/Conservative coalition (they hate each other less than they hate the SNP !!)

14 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I was caught up in that as well - A1 was shut both ways at the junction with the bypass........for it to be closed as long as it was, it had to be a very bad, maybe fatal accident, unfortunately.

You are not wrong, but in this case it is a Labour/Conservative coalition (they hate each other less than they hate the SNP !!)

A few months ago my neighbour told me that the reason things were so bad in Edinburgh was because the SNP were in charge. Came as a bit of shock when I told him that they were not.

Posted (edited)
On 31/05/2024 at 16:14, strichener said:

What a load on nonsense posted in this thread.  This isn't about any particular type of vehicle.  A highly politing 5 litre Diesel that meets Euro 6 standards (when new) is allowed a 10 year old diesel Hyundai ixx isn't.  

In Aberdeen, the LEZ means that those from the North of the city that want to go to Union Square will need to reroute and add miles onto the journey to approach from the south (through mostly residential areas.  Meanwhile ships sit in the barbour spewing out pollution (no Euro 6 standards there).  ACC are fucking up traffic management to the extent that they'll soon be giving ECC a run for their money in the "who can f**k over motorists the most" awards.

It actually feels similar to the policy of Cobb County, Atlanta that once banned busses to keep the poor out.  Here they are doing it based on who can afford new cars.

The use of Euro6 implementation dates means a lot of diesel cars will not be exempt whilst more polluting diesel cars who have Euro6 (by virtue of being registered after September 2015) are exempt.

It's just arbitrary virtue-signalling nonsense.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

On 02/06/2024 at 12:57, The Master said:

The bus station is in the LEZ as well which is fucking moronic.