2024/25 - The season where marks are made

9 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Again, if this was a slight downturn in their fortunes it would be acceptable. You and AAI quoting results from 9 years ago doesn't really add muscle to your argument.They lose EVERY match, the latest being 14-0 and in the SC they have lost 12-0 at home for the last two years.

Except they don't. You go digging through history yourself and still come up with hyperbole to support your point.

5 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

It's not my own other favourite wee club (because they bizarrely left the league to join the WoSFL) but taking the attendance per head of population for W&B angle is nuts.

If they are getting a crowd of 55 or 60 from a total local populace of...say...1000 then that surely equates favourably with an urban conurbation club like (for example) Clydebank with a population of circa 46,000 ish...Erm,...A young, clever, person will have to work this out... Should the Bankies be getting three or four thousand per game ?

Naw.

It doesn't work that way for how important your fitba team is to you.

It seems a peculiar Ayrshire obsession, there must be a formula out there they use; size of crowd times something then divided by something else plus 3 equals how big and important your club is.

I think folk up north don't appreciate how small the communities are that some of our clubs come from, hell most come from. Just having enough folk willing to run a semi-pro club is validation of their right to exist as far as I'm concerned. I know a few committee/volunteers at some of the clubs and am in awe of their commitment to the job.

Long may they continue and when W&B win a game I will plaster it all over p&b.

Leave Wigtown to sort their situation out themselves. They had their glory days not too long ago and enjoyed them. They are now going through a bad patch and unless the keyboard critics are prepared to go and help out or offer HELPFUL advice they should back off.

Anyone who has been associated with non-league for a decent length of time will have seen clubs come and go. Non-league football is not for the faint-hearted or glory hunters. The auld dog for the hard road the path for the pup! 

1 hour ago, info said:

Leave Wigtown to sort their situation out themselves. They had their glory days not too long ago and enjoyed them. They are now going through a bad patch and unless the keyboard critics are prepared to go and help out or offer HELPFUL advice they should back off.

Anyone who has been associated with non-league for a decent length of time will have seen clubs come and go. Non-league football is not for the faint-hearted or glory hunters. The auld dog for the hard road the path for the pup! 

There is one major issue that the moaners have with the SOSFL; it being at Tier 6. Every other complaint comes from that, whether its Scottish Cup, LL relegation, whateve, it all stems from this feeling that the SOS clubs should not be at Tier 6.

1 hour ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

There is one major issue that the moaners have with the SOSFL; it being at Tier 6. Every other complaint comes from that, whether its Scottish Cup, LL relegation, whateve, it all stems from this feeling that the SOS clubs should not be at Tier 6.

Bill Murray Yes GIF

5 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

It seems a peculiar Ayrshire obsession, there must be a formula out there they use; size of crowd times something then divided by something else plus 3 equals how big and important your club is.

I think folk up north don't appreciate how small the communities are that some of our clubs come from, hell most come from. Just having enough folk willing to run a semi-pro club is validation of their right to exist as far as I'm concerned. I know a few committee/volunteers at some of the clubs and am in awe of their commitment to the job.

Long may they continue and when W&B win a game I will plaster it all over p&b.

5 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Exactly. And if its an away game it's no a bad wee place for a late summer day away.

2 hours ago, info said:

These are why Scottish football is where it is.

Just now, jimbaxters said:

None of that has anything to do with anything that's wrong in Scottish football.

The six bottoms of the pyramid are about participation and commitment. Keeping football going on behalf of a community and for some of them, being the only football in their area.

Sometimes a club spends a few years out of their depth, but then they get it together and move back up. That's how it's always been. You would have a point if W&B were in a league place that someone else could have but they're not, any club that wants in can join the SoSFL. 

I can't get over your insistence that some clubs are "pointless". Auchinleck Talbot are pointless. The whole of amateur and part-time football is pointless. Football is pointless. We do it because we love it. What else matters?

Just now, jimbaxters said:

Scottish football at part-timer level is in the state its in due to a multi-generational artificial divide. One that still exists in the minds of many people and romanticised.

Could have avoided a whole host of "plastic" clubs if there had been some joined up thinking. Instead it was the SFL's closed shop and the majority outside happy with that status quo.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

None of that has anything to do with anything that's wrong in Scottish football.

The six bottoms of the pyramid are about participation and commitment. Keeping football going on behalf of a community and for some of them, being the only football in their area.

Sometimes a club spends a few years out of their depth, but then they get it together and move back up. That's how it's always been. You would have a point if W&B were in a league place that someone else could have but they're not, any club that wants in can join the SoSFL. 

I can't get over your insistence that some clubs are "pointless". Auchinleck Talbot are pointless. The whole of amateur and part-time football is pointless. Football is pointless. We do it because we love it. What else matters?

You're pointless.

Aye ok. Let the boys play, just don't ask teams to use a Saturday to go down there in the SC and try to keep the score down to be nice.

Edited by jimbaxters

19 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You're pointless.

Aye ok. Let the boys play, just don't ask teams to use a Saturday to go down there in the SC and try to keep the score down to be nice.

basically a free pass into the next round isn't something to turn your nose up at in my opinion

18 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Haha. You're easily wound up. I'm really not bothered by them. The bigger annoyance is having the league at Tier 6.

Yawn! Yawn! Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schools must be back and are are letting you use the computers again

55 minutes ago, Derry Pele said:

All this bickering about whether the SoSFL is less important to the global economy than the WoSFL, when there’s a video circulating of the McKenzie brothers kicking f**k out of someone at Dalbeattie last night 

Where can i find such video?  got told at work this afternoon about this, was at game and first i knew about it!

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Scottish football at part-timer level is in the state its in due to a multi-generational artificial divide. One that still exists in the minds of many people and romanticised.

Could have avoided a whole host of "plastic" clubs if there had been some joined up thinking. Instead it was the SFL's closed shop and the majority outside happy with that status quo.

When you get top professional clubs in Scotland team lists reading like a League of Nations reserve team meeting, you realise why it is sinking in quality. At least the South League doesn't fill Their teams with unknown and second-rate overseas players 

6 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

So the SOSFL is the reason why; Scotland can get out of a group, Rangers aren't in Champions League, there is no automatic promotion to the SPFL, Celtic will finish bottom of the whole Champions League thingy, the LL make relegation almost impossible, and the WOSFL can't produce a Licenced Champion.

Or is all our woes because Wigtown & Bladnoch won't become an ammie team and drop out the Scottish leaving it to proper clubs to play in. 🤪

Can't believe you wrote that and then posted it jb.

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

4 hours ago, Derry Pele said:

All this bickering about whether the SoSFL is less important to the global economy than the WoSFL, when there’s a video circulating of the McKenzie brothers kicking f**k out of someone at Dalbeattie last night 

Spill the beans man, we need more meat on the bones.

I've heard a few things about the McKenzie Brothers, what's the story on them?

McKenzie Brothers was that no a band in the late 80's. Naw haud on it was Goodbye Mr.McKenzie.

And I'm thinking about the McCluskey Brothers, seen them at the Arches in 1990.

Anyway I digress.

What is it with these McKenzie Boys?

10 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

You're pointless.

No.

Anyway, this was partially your fault: