I though the whole defence did fine today, I just don’t like Graham on the right hand side due to the fact he is massively one footed albeit the pen was on him I thought he played well nothing of note stands out where I was worried about him, Gallagher was pretty good and can’t really remember holt doing much wrong except the one in the first half where he held on to the ball for to long 

the problem for our defence is when sevelj went off then miller went off, we had to put Kai there and Dundee were having a enormous amount of joy down there left. 

Edited by dundeeunited83

3 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Did you not think he played well? I thought he was very good 

Thought he did alright in the game but the penalty he gave away undid all of the good work for me, absolute brain fart of a decision to go to ground that ended up costing us a goal.

1 minute ago, Butters Scotch said:

Thought he did alright in the game but the penalty he gave away undid all of the good work for me, absolute brain fart of a decision to go to ground that ended up costing us a goal.

It was a shocking "tackle" and ultimately like a goalkeeper one fart Costs you a goal. 

I thought some of his tackles were outstanding and exactly what a United team has been lacking for years.

1 minute ago, dundeeunited83 said:

I though the whole defence did fine today, I just don’t like Graham on the right hand side due to the face he massively one footed albeit the pen was on him I thought he played well nothing of note stands out where I was worried about him, Gallagher was pretty good and can’t really remember holt doing much wrong except the one in the first half where he held on to the ball for to long 

the problem for our defence is when sevelj went off then miller went off, we had to put Kai there and Dundee were having a enormous amount of joy down there left. 

Yeah pretty much this. We seem to be going for 1v1 at the back at times with CB's coming into midfield to pick up the extra man which is a dangerous tactic when you have slow CB's, a bit like how Scotland played at the Euros. 

Also, Tiffoney down the left changed the game for them also, he was running at boys at will that Dundee didn't have in the first hour.

2 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

It was a shocking "tackle" and ultimately like a goalkeeper one fart Costs you a goal. 

I thought some of his tackles were outstanding and exactly what a United team has been lacking for years.

Just can't get my head around why he dived in recklessly like that, I think that's what I worry most about Graham when I watch him play in that he has these types of brain farts in him. Even allowing Murray to get to the ball before him was poor defending, he needs some pace around him IMO to cover for his weaknesses. 

Recruitment has been a positive so far (jury’s out on Odada) and players are being brought in that suit the system that Goodwin wants to play, it’s pretty clear we need another defender in as having just 4 central defenders when playing 3 at the back is definitely going to catch up at some point in the season. A right sided defender who could also play in the centre of the 3 would be ideal. 

Just now, Butters Scotch said:

Just can't get my head around why he dived in recklessly like that, I think that's what I worry most about Graham when I watch him play in that he has these types of brain farts in him. Even allowing Murray to get to the ball before him was poor defending, he needs some pace around him IMO to cover for his weaknesses. 

Yeah agree with that, the tackles he puts in (certainly today) looked great and works but all it takes is a silly one. I'll have to see it back but I thought Murray done well to time his run and move past him.

Sore one to take but if he didn't tackle and Murray walks through we would be saying, why didn't he male a tackle 

11 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Yeah agree with that, the tackles he puts in (certainly today) looked great and works but all it takes is a silly one. I'll have to see it back but I thought Murray done well to time his run and move past him.

Sore one to take but if he didn't tackle and Murray walks through we would be saying, why didn't he male a tackle 

I'm not so sure on that, he was goalside on Murray and all he had to do was shepherd him away from goal and wait for murray to play a pass or shot which he would of blocked. 

1 hour ago, skinny arab said:

Recruitment has been a positive so far (jury’s out on Odada) and players are being brought in that suit the system that Goodwin wants to play, it’s pretty clear we need another defender in as having just 4 central defenders when playing 3 at the back is definitely going to catch up at some point in the season. A right sided defender who could also play in the centre of the 3 would be ideal. 

You'll obviously be 100x more clued up on the situation than me but I'm not convinced by your keeper and that's not based on today even if he was partially at fault for one of the goals IMO.

The two Macedonian's are getting a ton of credit (and rightfully so), but I was more impressed by Ferry tbh.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You'll obviously be 100x more clued up on the situation than me but I'm not convinced by your keeper and that's not based on today even if he was partially at fault for one of the goals IMO.

The two Macedonian's are getting a ton of credit (and rightfully so), but I was more impressed by Ferry tbh.

Ferry's an absolute machine. He was quieter than usual today but he just doesn't stop. 100% intensity from first minute to last. Generally looks better the longer the game goes on as everyone else on the park starts to slow down and he's still going.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Walton will do fine this season, he's solid enough in that he doesnt often make silly errors and can do the basics well. 

Ferry and Trap will be our two best players this season IMO. They work so well together but as much quality they have, I don't think either will be as effective if the other is out the team which kind of worries me if Middleton has to the fill in! 

Edited by Butters Scotch

Going into the derby I felt we were too much of an unknown quantity for there to be any kind of accurate prediction to be made.

As it happened, a draw was probably a fair result.

Squad is looking pretty decent now, with probably a right sided centre back being the only missing piece of the puzzle (i suspect Sevelj will play a lot of games this season but rarely as first choice in the position he starts in).

Miller Thomson has probably put himself further ahead of Middleton and Fotheringham in the pecking order too. Had a conversation today though with someone where it was suggested Kai might actually be better played up front than out wide.

Only player I was slightly disappointed with was Babunski; the speed of the game took him by surprise. He'll adapt though.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ferry has played really well in the League Cup games. Trapanovski and Babunski will always take the headlines because of where they play. Ferry is absolutely rapid and takes no prisoners defensively and can play a bit too. I thought Sevelj had a good game too.

With Walton, I'm not too sure he did too much wrong at the goal. He didn't have too much time to react, but would goalkeepers from the 80s not have tried to catch the ball or at least make an attempt to catch so the ball didn't goo too far from their hands?
More of a general comment on modern keepers who seem to palm most shots than catch.

5 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Going into the derby I felt we were too much of an unknown quantity for there to be any kind of accurate prediction to be made.

Squad is looking pretty decent now, with probably a right sided centre back being the only missing piece of the puzzle (i suspect Sevelj will play a lot of games this season but rarely as first choice in the position he starts in).

Miller Thomson has probably put himself further ahead of Middleton and Fotheringham in the pecking order too. Had a conversation today though with someone where it was suggested Kai might actually be better played up front than out wide.

Only player I was slightly disappointed with was Babunski; the speed of the game took him by surprise. He'll adapt though.

I've actually said that before.  He is a very natural, instinctive finisher

2 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Ferry has played really well in the League Cup games. Trapanovski and Babunski will always take the headlines because of where they play. Ferry is absolutely rapid and takes no prisoners defensively and can play a bit too. I thought Sevelj had a good game too.

With Walton, I'm not too sure he did too much wrong at the goal. He didn't have too much time to react, but would goalkeepers from the 80s not have tried to catch the ball or at least make an attempt to catch so the ball didn't goo too far from their hands?
More of a general comment on modern keepers who seem to palm most shots than catch.

That's a big issue for me with keepers. The punching stuff used to be a continental thing but now it's widespread. I much prefer a commanding keeper that'll catch the ball 9/10 times but make a c**t of himself the other 1/10 than a guy that punches it to the penalty spot 10/10 times.

I just thought it was a bit weak wristed - difficult situation but he squirmed it right across the 6 yard box. If you're getting your hands to it and it's going across goal, needs to be a strong hand and gets a bit of distance.

Perhaps I'm being harsh though!

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's a big issue for me with keepers. The punching stuff used to be a continental thing but now it's widespread. I much prefer a commanding keeper that'll catch the ball 9/10 times but make a c**t of himself the other 1/10 than a guy that punches it to the penalty spot 10/10 times.

I just thought it was a bit weak wristed - difficult situation but he squirmed it right across the 6 yard box. If you're getting your hands to it and it's going across goal, needs to be a strong hand and gets a bit of distance.

Perhaps I'm being harsh though!

That's fair comment. 👍

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Think he was worried about Murray's pace that made him dive in.  Rash, but on the whole the team did well.

I said when the potential 3rd goal was cleared off the line that it would come back to bite us, as though they had shown nothing of note, at 2-1 they were still in it.

19 years unbeaten by them at Tanny will now roll into 20 unless we get them in the cup.  Sweet.

Not a bad game considering all the crowing that lot were doing before the game as to how their top 6 wonderteam (think the won only 10 league games last season) were going to skelp our championship team.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by Sugar_Army

5 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Think he was worried about Murray's pace that made him dive in.  Rash, but on the whole the team did well.

I said when the potential 3rd goal was cleared off the line that it would come back to bite us, as though they had shown nothing of note, at 2-1 they were still in it.

20 years unbeaten by them at Tanny will now roll into 21 unless we get them in the cup.  Sweet.

Not a bad game considering all the crowing that lot were doing before the game as to how their top 6 wonderteam were going to skelp our championship team.

Onwards and upwards.

Aye it's mind-numbing having to wade through all of the shite they were havering in the Derby thread, a fair few of them really are a bunch of deluded arsewipes. Once we get our defensive shape sorted with some new additions (hopefully) then I can see us having a pretty successful season, certainly looked no worse than a "top six" team today.

Edited by Butters Scotch

44 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

One thing can be guaranteed - you'll have United finishing above Dundee on the regular on FM again. 👀:P