2 minutes ago, Ascal said:

My big concern is we won't miss Middleton until Ferry misses a game and we have no natural replacement who can give us even 70% of Ferry at LWB

Middleton isn’t a natural replacement there. Just because he’s left footed and plays wide doesn’t mean he has any ability as a wing-back.

The problem with 3atb is that it just doesn’t work without excellent players at wing-back. It’s probably the most important position in the system. We’ve got two good wing-backs. If/when they’re both injured though, we’re screwed.

20 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Sam McClelland? Boy did alright in the Championship but he's a mile off the standard of the other signings we've made.  Be as well going with Cleall-Harding as bringing McClelland back. 

McClelland was fine but we can do much better. 

Mclelland is bog standard man, can't believe he is even being touted on here 

Would have taken a draw before kick off, and over the piece of the game it’s probably a fair result. 

first half we were absolutely brilliant, babunski had two great chances (unsure why he’s dinked the second- laces through it), trapa has got to do a lot better wee the 1-1- piss poor tbh

though most players we’re actually pretty decent, but the pick of the bunches were ferry, sevelj and Thomson- seriously good performance from them

Hell of a lot of positives to take from today- county next week is a decent first away game of the season. 

think we’re a couple of good signings away from being a actually a really decent team. 

6 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Middleton isn’t a natural replacement there. Just because he’s left footed and plays wide doesn’t mean he has any ability as a wing-back.

The problem with 3atb is that it just doesn’t work without excellent players at wing-back. It’s probably the most important position in the system. We’ve got two good wing-backs. If/when they’re both injured though, we’re screwed.

Will Ferry pulls up in the warm up on Saturday - I play Middleton there. Who do you play?

4 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

The reason McLelland was at United in the first place was because he wasn't good enough to play at a Premiership team. I liked him, he served a purpose, he was more than good enough for the Championship, but we should be aiming higher, assuming we have the budget to do so.

Seve, Thomson, VDS, Trap and Ferry were all standouts in the first hour or so for me. 

Thought Gallagher did better than expected too.

Walton didn't have a lot to do but he was solid enough. 

Babunski was very decent at times when he was allowed to play but I think he found out today that he will not nearly get the same amount of time on the ball as he did in the LC games so hoping he learns from this.  He seems to be an intelligent guy and has a good grounding so expect him to get upto speed very soon. 

Thought Holt and Graham looked rather shakey, Graham not playing in his favoured position does him no favours so really need an able replacement or two at CB if funds are available. 

VDS looked a technically good player but we started pumping the ball upto him too much for my liking and he didn't seem to be that physical compared to Moult anyway, I think we need to get the ball into his feet more to then link up with the midfield to get the most joy out of him. 

All in all, a lot of positive signs!

Edited by Butters Scotch

6 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

I'd take a big standard naturally right sided player over someone left footed put in a position he's not altogether comfortable in.

Bet you weren't saying anything about McClelland when him and Graham helped us over the line to win the championship.

Like I said in reply to your PM shite opinions and a dire poster.

Definitely going to devote the next minute or so popping you on ignore so I don't need to read your nonsense.

1 minute ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

The reason McLelland was at United in the first place was because he wasn't good enough to play at a Premiership team. 

Not fully.

He got injured just as we changed manager, couldn't break back into a side that was doing well, and both he and Levein agreed he was likely to get more games on loan than if he stayed because he was competing with our captain for a spot by that stage.

Time will tell whether or not he's good enough, but it's certainly not known yet either way.

One thing actually that done my nut in the day, after just scoring lobbing the flares on the pitch delaying kick off and giving Dundee 5 mins to get a bit of composure about them.

great chance to hunt them down, hopefully the young team learn  

1 minute ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'd take a big standard naturally right sided player over someone left footed put in a position he's not altogether comfortable in.

Bet you weren't saying anything about McClelland when him and Graham helped us over the line to win the championship.

Like I said in reply to your PM shite opinions and a dire poster.

Definitely going to devote the next minute or so popping you on ignore so I don't need to read your nonsense.

Well yes obviously anyone would prefer a right footed centre back playing RCB...

We were barely tested in the championship and it's a big step upto the premiership, Graham might be alright with two competent CB's next to him which we clearly don't have. My opinion is shite though so unsure why you're getting yourself so upset. 

Get a grip man it's an online forum...

37 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Fair enough, maybe a bit of sentiment when him and Graham looked fantastic together during their run of games closing out our league title getting in my thoughts.

Agreed re: Harding, he's probably a fair bit quicker than big Sam.

Are you Ross Graham's dad by any chance? 

17 minutes ago, Ascal said:

Will Ferry pulls up in the warm up on Saturday - I play Middleton there. Who do you play?

Well, I would’ve let Holt go and kept McMann.

But since I can’t, I’d go 4 atb and keep Middleton as far away from his own penalty box as possible.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

But since I can’t, I’d go 4 atb and keep Middleton as far away from his own penalty box as possible.

Was saying this the other day, why the f**k did we get rid of McMann, didn't really do much wrong and would of been an able deputy despite his limitations. Now we are stuck with Middleton, Holt or Graham as backup presumely and would likely have to alter the whole formation if we put a CB in there. 

Just now, ArabFC said:

Definitely, Graham is already a proven premiership player at a young age and McMann probably looked better than Mulgrew at LCB when we got relegated and definitely competent enough as cover for Ferry in the premier too.

Still not sure why Holt was kept on over McMann, he stayed in the championship and presumably Ayr aren't paying him as much as we were so unless he had a cast iron renewal clause in his contract for more or same money 🤷

Have to say, I thought Graham was your best CH today although the nod for best defender was that Sevelj and the nod for best player was your other wing-back Ferry.

Graham was lucky not to get a red for the penalty IMO but over the piece he marshalled Murray well. Certainly coped better than Holt who was all at sea most of the game.

Id have kept McMann too, frankly - but since we self-evidently didn't and JG is absolutely married to this scheme id say with the greatest respect that those answers are a bit of a cop out.

57 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

That's quite a niche analogy,  and one that I made a fortnight ago. There were only three folk in that car and I'm going to assume you're neither my son nor my dad. It's pretty suspect though. 

55 minutes ago, Ascal said:

My son is 2. Your move?

Maybe just great minds thinking alike? 😉 

On 27/01/2024 at 19:10, Zetterlund said:

There's a good defender in there but he's like Derek Zoolander, literally can't turn left.

Called it in January :lol:

3 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Holt was kept as he had triggered a contract extension due to games played, McMann was offered reduced terms and told he wouldn’t be a first pick so decided to move on. 

Well that's pretty cut and dried then. Shame, McMann on the bench would make me feel a lot more comfortable as the games, knocks and cards pile up

Edited by Ascal