1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

You'll obviously be 100x more clued up on the situation than me but I'm not convinced by your keeper and that's not based on today even if he was partially at fault for one of the goals IMO.

The two Macedonian's are getting a ton of credit (and rightfully so), but I was more impressed by Ferry tbh.

Agree about the goalie. Not the first time he’s been poor. A lot of fans thought he was really good especially after releghitti but I feel we could do better.

6 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

Agree about the goalie. Not the first time he’s been poor. A lot of fans thought he was really good especially after releghitti but I feel we could do better.

Honestly, I don’t think Walton did much wrong today. In fact, although I was impressed with his distribution, I think McCracken had more dodgy moments in him than Walton did. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

1 hour ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

I've actually said that before.  He is a very natural, instinctive finisher

Bit more to forward play than finishing. If you're playing up top for us, you're getting the ball launched to you twenty times a game - not a chance Kai is getting played there in our system.

11 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Bit more to forward play than finishing. If you're playing up top for us, you're getting the ball launched to you twenty times a game - not a chance Kai is getting played there in our system.

I think the counter-intuitive thing with this system is the centre forward is a creative, hard-working, deep-lying forward and the two wingers/inside forwards are expected to be the more conventional predator types - in which case playing Kai there plays to his strengths?

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

You'll obviously be 100x more clued up on the situation than me but I'm not convinced by your keeper and that's not based on today even if he was partially at fault for one of the goals IMO.

The two Macedonian's are getting a ton of credit (and rightfully so), but I was more impressed by Ferry tbh.

I think Walton will be a steady if unspectacular keeper which is a huge upgrade on our last premiership keeper. 
Early signs are very promising in respect to Ferry, mixes it up a bit by coming inside at times and will be a big player for us I believe, pity Strain got injured as was hoping he would offer similar from the right although I thought Sevelj did well there today. 

We'll be fine this season and Goodwin to his credit seems to have done some good business. But he's needing another centre half in urgently, that back three will struggle against better teams than Dundee. Holt is a Championship player, the other two might be ok with a better defender in beside them. Thought he should have changed things earlier, we were spent after about an hour though Dundee didn't really look like scoring until the penalty. If Graham can cut out that rashness he can be a decent player at this level. 

Walton is absolutely fine as a keeper. He's not Buffon but a steady pair of hands and that's a massive upgrade on some of the shite we've had over the last 10 years. 

Edited by Aladdin
Damn autocorrect

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

Walton is absolutely fine as a keeper. He's not Burton but a steady pair of hands and that's a massive upgrade on some of the shite we've had over the last 10 years. 

Burton?

We've had Siegrist and Cierzniak in the last 10 years. 

Every club gets a shite keeper now and then, but I'd say we've been pretty fortunate in that position over the years.

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Burton?

Every club gets a shite keeper now and then, but I'd say we've been pretty fortunate in that position over the years.

I'm assuming it's an auto-corrected Butland.

13 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Honestly, I don’t think Walton did much wrong today. In fact, although I was impressed with his distribution, I think McCracken had more dodgy moments in him than Walton did. 

Both keepers had a couple of hairy moments yesterday, but I'd suggest fans of both clubs would argue they've seen enough to suggest that's a rarity rather than the norm

43 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Burton?

This. Looking back Brighitti was a complete anomaly and I have to go back to the 90s names like Key and O'Hannlon to get as bad akeeper. 

Food for thought - between O'Hanlon and Brighitti who is the worst goalkeeper we've had? Bullock? Stillie?

Theres not many to chose from and for every one - even outside the two you named -there's three Zaluska's or Gallagher's or Szamatolulski's or even Bells.

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/players-gks.php

Edited by Ascal
Link added

9 minutes ago, Ascal said:

This. Looking back Brighitti was a complete anomaly and I have to go back to the 90s names like Key and O'Hannlon to get as bad akeeper. 

Food for thought - between O'Hanlon and Brighitti who is the worst goalkeeper we've had? Bullock? Stillie?

Theres not many to chose from and for every one - even outside the two you named -there's three Zaluska's or Gallagher's or Szamatolulski's or even Bells.

Birigitti was the worst by an absolute mile. The rest of the bad ones all had errors in them that you worried might come at any time but probably only actually happened 4 or 5 times a season.

With Birighitti we were going out EVERY WEEK waiting for the mistake to arrive and it invariably did and it invariably cost us. I genuinely think he had 2 or 3 games that season  where he DIDN’T have an absolute howler. He’s probably the worst full time goalkeeper I’ve ever seen. I could have picked a couple from the juniors I’d have had in the team before him. The rest were bad, but I wouldn’t blame any of them for practically relegating us single handedly, but I genuinely believe that with an average-to-good, steady 7/10 SPFL goalkeeper in place of Birighitti we’d have stayed up. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

1 minute ago, Junior_Arab said:

Birigitti was the worst by an absolute mile. The rest of the bad ones all had errors in them that you worried might come at any time but probably only actually happened 4 or 5 times a season. With Birighitti we were going out EVERY WEEK waiting for the mistake to arrive and it invariably did and it invariably cost us. I genuinely think he had 2 or 3 games that season  where he DIDN’T have an absolute howler. He’s probably the worst full time goalkeeper I’ve ever seen. I could have picked a couple from the juniors I’d have had in the team before him. 

Totally agree. If you made a massive dice with every goalkeeper who's started a competitive game for us since The 90s and whichever GK came up played every game of 22/23 we stay up, comfortably. A Mehmet or a Combe or a Maxwell or a Weaver - basically anyone - eveb the aforementioned Stillie and Bullock - going back to KOH/Key (Key was a bomb scare, will brook no dissent there) would have been good enough.

8 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Birigitti was the worst by an absolute mile. The rest of the bad ones all had errors in them that you worried might come at any time but probably only actually happened 4 or 5 times a season.

With Birighitti we were going out EVERY WEEK waiting for the mistake to arrive and it invariably did and it invariably cost us. I genuinely think he had 2 or 3 games that season  where he DIDN’T have an absolute howler. He’s probably the worst full time goalkeeper I’ve ever seen. I could have picked a couple from the juniors I’d have had in the team before him. The rest were bad, but I wouldn’t blame any of them for practically relegating us single handedly, but I genuinely believe that with an average-to-good, steady 7/10 SPFL goalkeeper in place of Birighitti we’d have stayed up. 

Yet the manager and his boss didn’t see a problem, not sure why that was.

Oh yes, it was because they were f**king clueless.

We didn't have a competent keeper when we went down under McNamara/Mixu. 

We didn't have a clear No1 at the start of the season and Kawashima wasn't worth the wait. We could've signed some jobber from the Championship and stayed up that season too.

14 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

We didn't have a clear No1 at the start of the season and Kawashima wasn't worth the wait. We could've signed some jobber from the Championship and stayed up that season too.

The Kawashima one is baffling - no doubt he was crap for us - but he went on to play for Metz and Strasbourg and went to two World Cups.

5 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

The Kawashima one is baffling - no doubt he was crap for us - but he went on to play for Metz and Strasbourg and went to two World Cups.

The 2 just didn't fit. Player A being good for Club A doesn't mean he will be good at club B,C or D 

12 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

On the physical side he's barely 6 feet tall and it's a very physical league where putting the ball right on top of the keeper and challenging them in the air is more common than other leagues.

On the mental side he shipped a few soft goals early on and never really regained his confidence or the faith of his defenders (or the fans)