Birighitti is the worst player I've ever seen for us.

At least the other terrible players had either the occasional good game (Durnan) or barely played enough to have an impact (Loemba) or were just a good laugh (N'Koyi), Birighitti never had a good game, played almost the entire season, and was miserable to watch.

All the other poor keepers we've had in the last ten years have an excuse for not being great. Zwick and Szromnik were the goalkeeping equivalent of toddlers chucked onto the front line, Kawashima was fannied about for ages and chucked into a terrible team then expected to be the saviour, Lewis had to play in front of the worst back four we've had in 50 years and Rakovan... well Rakovan was shite but he was bombed out as soon as Laszlo left. Birighitti had in theory everything going for him and you could make a solid argument that so many of our defensive problems start with him then spread like terminal cancer.

Edited by Accent-Unknown

22 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

One thing can be guaranteed - you'll have United finishing above Dundee on the regular on FM again. 👀:P

I get the feeling that there won't be much of a difference between a lot of teams tbf 😇😉

23 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

One thing can be guaranteed - you'll have United finishing above Dundee on the regular on FM again. 👀:P

Doing a Premiership to Midlands league save with Dundee will be fun.

The signing of this guy totally bypassed me.  Anyone know anything about him?  He’s been described as a ‘forward’ and ‘winger’ but not sure what side he plays on.

IMG_0006.thumb.jpeg.0f5088ceb0c30bad4aab495ecffb69dd.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The signing of this guy totally bypassed me.  Anyone know anything about him?  He’s been described as a ‘forward’ and ‘winger’ but not sure what side he plays on.

IMG_0006.thumb.jpeg.0f5088ceb0c30bad4aab495ecffb69dd.jpeg

I think the club announced him in the buildup to the derby so I didn't notice until late last night. 

Left-footed right winger apparently, which is a good start.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

For all the folk desperate to get McLelland back, he was pretty poor for 50 minutes and then did his achilles...

I wasnae desperate just mooted him as an option because I had my rose tinted glasses on 👀

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

For all the folk desperate to get McLelland back, he was pretty poor for 50 minutes and then did his achilles...

Yeah he was exactly as I remembered him, really, and I'm surprised you lot fell in love with him so much.

Just slow on his feet, slow to turn, slow to react. Can't kick the ball, can't fight that well with physical strikers.

Would be surprised if he plays for us again much at all tbh, and very surprised if we think about extending his contract.

Mark Birighitti is the worst signing we have ever made, and it's not even close. In fact, I think in the history of Scottish football you'd be hard pressed to find much worse a signing for any club.

You can look at some young goalkeeper or outfield player who maybe signed and was punted out of the side after a game or two and maybe say they are a worse player, but when you add everything up, Birighitti is the worst signing.

• Numerous costly mistakes across the season that cost us so many points 
  • On a lot of money considering he was an internationalist
  • Stayed for a year knowing he was never going to play and didn't even have a squad number
  • Clearly disliked by his teammates
  • Universally loathed by the fanbase while he was still here
  • The only player I've ever seen be subbed off with the 'injury' of being embarrassed as he was booed off the pitch.

His performances relegated us. 

The previous time we were relegated it was again down to the goalkeeping situation but both were young players and everything about the club was in the shitter.

We finished bottom by 3 points and you could probably point to 8-10 points he personally cost us. 

I still get annoyed just thinking about him.

19 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Mark Birighitti is the worst signing we have ever made, and it's not even close. In fact, I think in the history of Scottish football you'd be hard pressed to find much worse a signing for any club.

I totally agree - as I've said before, in the almost 30 years since I first watched United there has not been one player that has cost us so much.

In the aftermath of the St Johnstone/Stevie May slide-tackle goal (the worst goal we have conceded since the Mark Kerr back-pass...) I actually felt a bit of sympathy towards him - like he was just clearly way below the level of quality needed for the role, he should have been withdrawn from the squad some months before, and it really wasn't his fault that he hadn't been replaced in the January window.

But I googled him yesterday and he has a terrifying lack of self awareness.  Just check some of this interview (link) - 

"I played nearly every game in my first season but when clubs get relegated they try and cut costs and get players off the wage bill"

Edited by arab_joe

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Was Cudjoe offered a contract?  I see he’s claiming he was but turned it down.  Still not got a club from what I can see.

Yeah, was announced early in the summer that he had been offered terms

35 minutes ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

Yeah, was announced early in the summer that he had been offered terms

OK.  It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

I can't find it now, but someone posted a clip of Birighitti at a former club somehow making an even bigger mess of it than anything he did at Utd. I think it was a free kick from about 30 yards out that trundled along the ground toward him before he literally dived out of the way of it.

An absolutely bizarre goalkeeper.

2 hours ago, SGMilne said:

You can look at some young goalkeeper or outfield player who maybe signed and was punted out of the side after a game or two and maybe say they are a worse player, but when you add everything up, Birighitti is the worst signing.

• Numerous costly mistakes across the season that cost us so many points 
  • On a lot of money considering he was an internationalist
  • Stayed for a year knowing he was never going to play and didn't even have a squad number
  • Clearly disliked by his teammates
  • Universally loathed by the fanbase while he was still here
  • The only player I've ever seen be subbed off with the 'injury' of being embarrassed as he was booed off the pitch.

His performances relegated us. 

The previous time we were relegated it was again down to the goalkeeping situation but both were young players and everything about the club was in the shitter.

We finished bottom by 3 points and you could probably point to 8-10 points he personally cost us. 

I still get annoyed just thinking about him.

200.gif?cid=ff874017c3l4ilfm1enyjojaa0yh

9 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I can't find it now, but someone posted a clip of Birighitti at a former club somehow making an even bigger mess of it than anything he did at Utd. I think it was a free kick from about 30 yards out that trundled along the ground toward him before he literally dived out of the way of it.

An absolutely bizarre goalkeeper.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Was Cudjoe offered a contract?  I see he’s claiming he was but turned it down.  Still not got a club from what I can see.

Yes was offered a terrible deal. ( to protect the club if and when someone decides to take him on) United should be due some £. United weren’t actively looking to keep him just had to go though the correct procedure 

2 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

Yes was offered a terrible deal. ( to protect the club if and when someone decides to take him on) United should be due some £. United weren’t actively looking to keep him just had to go though the correct procedure 

Good to know we’ve learnt the lesson from letting the lad go to Hearts without any compo.

8 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

I believe you’ve got to offer them at least the same terms they were on to make sure you get a development fee.