16 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Can see Tony sitting in the stand all season laughing, while you bunch of mugs pay him 4k a week.

Brilliant.

Thank you.

he's out of contract in jan, needs to be in the shop window somewhere

Edited by Beardy23

1 hour ago, Beardy23 said:

he's out of contract in jan, needs to be in the shop window somewhere

I think it was three and a half years, so that would be next summer.

If he doesn’t leave then who knows, maybe he ends up back in the squad?   He’s a complicated f**ker.  

Will be interesting to see if he's in the B team on Tuesday

If come the end of the transfer window he's still on our books and costing us a fortune every week, it'll be difficult to know what to do with him. 

I don't understand players who would just down tools and collect their wage until the contract expires. What then? He'll end up in the juniors next summer.

With a better attitude he'd have a few more years yet jobbing around the lower Prem on a decent wage.

I'm not defending Watt, as he is a petulant wee shite, but if my work made it clear they wanted rid of me, but couldn't do it legally, and were paying me a fortune that I couldn't get elsewhere, I'd happily sit on my arse and GIRU them as well

31 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I don't understand players who would just down tools and collect their wage until the contract expires. What then? He'll end up in the juniors next summer.

With a better attitude he'd have a few more years yet jobbing around the lower Prem on a decent wage.

If your boss at the office/factory/whatever told you you were surplus to requirements and you'd be made redundant at the end of the year how much work would you now putting in right now?

When talking to other clubs, particularly abroad, he can easily write this off as a change of system/clash of personalities. 

Best realistic case for United is a team he wants to go to come in, loan him, and pay half his wages, and we're out 2k a week for no return. Honestly can't see it coming out better than that and even that seems optimistic now...

In fairness to Watt, he clearly hasn’t been dropped due to poor matchday performances, so he may have reason to feel aggrieved up to a point. This looks more like Goodwin simply deciding that he’d rather move him on because he’d like to free up a healthy wage and/ or he doesn’t fit the system.

Tony’s perfectly entitled to look after himself as he feels appropriate.

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Has he downed tools though?

From memory he played pretty well for the latter part of last season and since then hasn't had a chance but has as good as been told to fcuk off.

He's got a contract - if he doesn't want to go and play in Kirkcaldy or wherever he's been offered, he doesn't have to.

Makes no sense for the guy just to sit on the sidelines for the next year and take the money. That will only devalue his own self worthness as a player, any top club in Scotland will not want to put up with that sort of attitude and there won't be many clubs willing to offer him a deal anywhere close to what he's earning at United next season. 

If he moves out on loan then United will likely be paying anywhere upto 75% of his current wages you would think and then he gets a season to put himself in the shop window for his next deal. 

Tony Watt only really needs to look after Tony Watt at the end of the day - we gave him the contract, and he isn't going to be near the first team this season, so he either sits back and takes money for nothing or he moves to another club who will not interest him in any way. I don't blame him for taking the first option if that's what he wants to do. It's not great from our point of view, but we've made our bed.

Just now, Butters Scotch said:

Makes no sense for the guy just to sit on the sidelines for the next year and take the money. That will only devalue his own self worthness as a player, any top club in Scotland will not want to put up with that sort of attitude and there won't be many clubs willing to offer him a deal anywhere close to what he's earning at United next season. 

If he moves out on loan then United will likely be paying anywhere upto 75% of his current wages you would think and then he gets a season to put himself in the shop window for his next deal. 

Whatever he does from here, there is no chance that he'll get anywhere near his current wage on his next contract. Whoever he ends up at.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

Has he downed tools though?

From memory he played pretty well for the latter part of last season and since then hasn't had a chance but has as good as been told to fcuk off.

He's got a contract - if he doesn't want to go and play in Kirkcaldy or wherever he's been offered, he doesn't have to.

Just checked the stats - second half of last season he started all but 2 games, scored 10 in the league with 6 assists and was captain half the time.

Just now, Sarto Mutiny said:

Whatever he does from here, there is no chance that he'll get anywhere near his current wage on his next contract. Whoever he ends up at.

Yep that's pretty clear but if he goes out on loan this season for example and does well then he may get offers of around 2k a week rather than 1k a week on his next deal that some championship clubs might pay

Watt could be be doing anything with his money. May have several incomes from property if he's been well guided during his career. Maybe he has his money in stocks that have built up through his career or maybe he just wants to spend time tending to his chickens.

Plenty other ways for Tony to be spending his time while the dollar comes in from Utd. Having one stream of income is something nobody should be depending on who makes the money he does. I doubt Tony will be too concerned with the thoughts of a few morons from East Angus as his worth builds over the next year.

Thank you.

Watt had a very good end to last season and was a key player in getting us up and a fully fit, fully motivated Watt could still be a good player at this level but during his league cup performances he looked neither fit nor motivated. Goodwin has us playing a different shape this season and it doesn’t suit Watt so he has probably been told early on he’ll be no more than a squad player and it looks like he’s taken the hump with this. A loan move is clearly the best option for all us Watt would still get his full wage (with Utd still being lumped with the majority of it) and he can go prove he is still capable and earn his next contract and from a Utd perspective we at least get part of his wage covered and if he has a positive 6 months then there may be a chance to offload at the Christmas transfer window. 

One of the biggest issues is whether Watt has the character to move on and prove he is still capable. 

27 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Watt could be be doing anything with his money. May have several incomes from property if he's been well guided during his career. Maybe he has his money in stocks that have built up through his career or maybe he just wants to spend time tending to his chickens.

Plenty other ways for Tony to be spending his time while the dollar comes in from Utd. Having one stream of income is something nobody should be depending on who makes the money he does. I doubt Tony will be too concerned with the thoughts of a few morons from East Angus as his worth builds over the next year.

Thank you.

That's pretty rich coming from one of the most moronic roasters on here. 

You're welcome. 

Heard at the time from someone connected to United that following one of the league cup games Watt was on the team bus singing songs about Goodwin. He’s been punted from the team immediately since then so suspect it was true.