1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

When Middleton scored against AZ in one of his first games it looked like he'd be a really exciting signing. As it turned out that might be when he peaked for us.

Can't argue with his contribution in the Championship but I don't see him being a matchwinner in the top league. Probably a 6/10 for me.

He was a "moments" player for us in his second spell.

Like he'd do nothing got 5-6 games, get benched, come on in an important game, do nothing but score the winner, then start the next 3-4 and do nothing.

So he'll probably come off the bench and win you the game tomorrow, that'll earn him a start, and this time next month he'll be back out the team.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was a "moments" player for us in his second spell.

Like he'd do nothing got 5-6 games, get benched, come on in an important game, do nothing but score the winner, then start the next 3-4 and do nothing.

So he'll probably come off the bench and win you the game tomorrow, that'll earn him a start, and this time next month he'll be back out the team.

That's exactly it. And what makes him so frustrating!

13 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Out of interest, on a scale of 1-10, how much value for money would Utd fans say Middleton has been over his time at the club?

He signed under the Asghar regime who apparently made him one of the highest earners at the club so I would give him 3/10 for value for money.

He isn't the worst player, he tries his best and had some good fleeting moments like the goal against AZ for example but that was very few and far between. 

Last season he had something like 11 assists but that was in one of the worst championships there has been and he still didn't shine in most of these games IMO, he was only played due to a lack of other quality options we had. 

Considering he was one of our primary attackers, him only getting 10 goals in 82 in all competitions tells its own story and his replacement Trapanowski has already bagged 4 in 7, you can certainly see a major upgrade in quality since Trapanowski has came in. 

Personally wouldn't mind see him leaving and let one of our youth players take his spot as I think they would contribute just as much. 

Middleton is a Championship level footballer and even then he was pretty average. As for the Premiership, he is a squad player at the very most

If we let Middleton go we'd need someone who could cover LWB.

I know folk have said they'd just go to 4atb but I think even if the front end changes to a more conventional 3-5-2 the wing backs are a hill JG will die on.

Right now if Ferry has to come off at halftime, or when he picks up a few bookings, I think we have very few decent options replacing him there.

Middleton might not be a great Premiership option there, but who would you bring on instead?

12 minutes ago, Ascal said:

I know folk have said they'd just go to 4atb but I think even if the front end changes to a more conventional 3-5-2 the wing backs are a hill JG will die on.

Right now if Ferry has to come off at halftime, or when he picks up a few bookings, I think we have very few decent options replacing him there.

Middleton might not be a great Premiership option there, but who would you bring on instead?

Stephenson can play lwb 

56 minutes ago, Ascal said:

I'd be happy enough with Stephenson or Thomson at lwb. 

That was a good win today, especially considering how utterly brutal we were in the first half.

Looks to me like the squad has been built - from an attacking sense - on playing a 3-4-3 (so three centre backs, Ferry/Trap on one side, Strain/winger on the other, two centre mids and one centre forward) and that formation has been abandoned midway through Ross County.

But what that means is if we move to playing 3-5-2 as we did this afternoon (and for what it's worth I thought VDS and Moult played really well together) then we have a bench that is full of wingers who can't really be brought on.

Only change that was in any way attacking that we could have made once Moult came on was Thomson for Stephenson.

So it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next week with players going out. Do we need Middleton, Thomson, Meshack, Fotheringham all vying for the same position? Not for me.

Today showed that Goodwin is willing to change things if needed and that we have players on the bench that can make a difference.

Levein had obviously done his homework but if we can shake things up then we can make things difficult for the opposing teams.  I hope Goodwin is trying other formations/tactics in training as it could well pay off, particularly with the breadth of talent in different positions in the squad.

In short, having watched a United team with no Plan B it’s nice to think we might have one that also has a Plan C.

Spoiler

The only blueprint for my honey farm was destroyed; I have no plan bee.

Stewart Francis.

Credit to the manager today. Thought he should have taken Stephenson off at half time as he was having a nightmare and he'd also been booked. But Goodwin showed faith in him and the lad had a good second half and scored.

When Moult came on I imagine most of us were expecting to see VDS go off, but the move to those two up really paid off. They seemed to link up very well, and it's good to know we now have that as an option.

10 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Also, I have a suspicion Lewis Neilson's record vs Dundee United since leaving Tannadice can't be very good. I could spend a few hours checking but it's Saturday night and I can't be arsed

It's not. It's not good at all. Think his choice in going to Hearts has definitely backfired on him after all, was surprised to see him today didn't know he had signed for St Johnstone!

12 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

It's not. It's not good at all. Think his choice in going to Hearts has definitely backfired on him after all, was surprised to see him today didn't know he had signed for St Johnstone!

Dunno. Not sure he would ever have made it at United and he's played plenty of games on loan. Not a great move for Hearts though. Presumably paying the bulk of his wage for a guy who's unlikely to ever get a game for them.

30 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Also, I have a suspicion Lewis Neilson's record vs Dundee United since leaving Tannadice can't be very good. I could spend a few hours checking but it's Saturday night and I can't be arsed

5 games, 1 win, 1 draw, 3 losses, apparently.

I have no idea what his best position is. 

Not aggressive enough to be a CB, not good enough on the ball under pressure to play CM. Not positionally sound enough to be a DM, not attacking enough to be a RB.

Yet theres clearly the makings of a good player there.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not aggressive enough to be a CB, not good enough on the ball under pressure to play CM. Not positionally sound enough to be a DM, not attacking enough to be a RB.

There's not.

He doesn't have the mobility to play at this level.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thanks for that. As I said I suspected there was a few losses for him v Utd.

A pretty accurate summary of him there too.

Be happy to see Van der Sande and Moult start together as a front two but we really need another decent striker on the bench for this.  Moult won’t last 90 minutes and we need someone different (ie fast) to change things up.  

But, if we do go 3-5-2 from the start where do we play arguably our best player Trapanovski?