On 08/09/2024 at 08:59, Gibby82 said:

The semi at Easter Road still stings. Ran out of steam. 

Aye I was going to ask if that team above was the 97 team. From memory Utd were on an amazing run of form from roughly December-May. 

43 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

To be fair, I watched the penalty incident from the derby again and I still don't think it's a penalty. It was totally accidental.

I thought the 'his hand was in an unnatural position' nonsense was dispensed with and we had gone back to it having to be deliberate handball.

If that's deemed a penalty, then it leaves the door open for more contentious decisions this season.

28 minutes ago, Moonboot said:

To be fair, I watched the penalty incident from the derby again and I still don't think it's a penalty. It was totally accidental.

I thought the 'his hand was in an unnatural position' nonsense was dispensed with and we had gone back to it having to be deliberate handball.

If that's deemed a penalty, then it leaves the door open for more contentious decisions this season.

I'm not sure anyone is clear on the ruling 

45 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

I'm not sure anyone is clear on the ruling 

Unfortunately, you're correct.

There were always dodgy handball decisions in football but it was a lot clearer when it was deemed that the hand ball had to be deliberate.

32 minutes ago, Moonboot said:

There were always dodgy handball decisions in football but it was a lot clearer when it was deemed that the hand ball had to be deliberate.

It’s better this season than it was last though, so that’s something. 

21 minutes ago, Moonboot said:

Don't think the laws/rules stated 'deliberate', the stipulation was 'seeking to gain an advantage' or something along those lines. Now it appears to be simply 'gaining an advantage' if the arm is in an 'unnatural position'. I'd argue if your arm is attached to your body, that's normally a natural position.

The most telling part of the video released and addressed by Willie Collum for me was the Ross Hardie section, where he, as the referee, was screeching advice to Tom Lawrence "Don't tackle there, Tom" then mistakenly shouted that Lawrence had cleanly got the ball where the evidence pointed otherwise. Good referees do talk to players throughout matches, but they don't offer that type of encouragement and help in my experience.

9 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Don't think the laws/rules stated 'deliberate', the stipulation was 'seeking to gain an advantage' or something along those lines. Now it appears to be simply 'gaining an advantage' if the arm is in an 'unnatural position'. I'd argue if your arm is attached to your body, that's normally a natural position.

The most telling part of the video released and addressed by Willie Collum for me was the Ross Hardie section, where he, as the referee, was screeching advice to Tom Lawrence "Don't tackle there, Tom" then mistakenly shouted that Lawrence had cleanly got the ball where the evidence pointed otherwise. Good referees do talk to players throughout matches, but they don't offer that type of encouragement and help in my experience.

“Seeking to gain an advantage” was part of the offside rule. 

Law 12 still says “it is an offence if a player deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm”.  The major change is they’ve introduced the horrible stuff about making yourself “unnaturally bigger”.

7 minutes ago, adamntg said:

“Seeking to gain an advantage” was part of the offside rule. 

Law 12 still says “it is an offence if a player deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm”.  The major change is they’ve introduced the horrible stuff about making yourself “unnaturally bigger”.

Thanks, @adamntg: someone had to educate me on the rules for penalty shoot outs at the weekend. I didn't know there was a coin toss to decide which team chose the end for kicks.

To be fair it's a few decades since I played more serious 11 a sides, and the last time I refereed a match one of the players accidentally barged into me and caused an injury to my mouth due to the fag I was still smoking following half time.

56 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Football is just another organisation like many in our world where, someone at the top of the tree comes up with an idea, the rest sanction the idea and the front line workers straight away can see it's problems 

It’s difficult to argue with that.

At the same time you’re never going to have a perfect system; never.

We argued about what is and isn’t a penalty 10, 20, 30 years ago when different interpretations were applied.

We argued about it in the days when we didn’t have multiple camera angles.  We argued about it before VAR.  We argue about it now we have VAR.  And we’ll argue about it if we ditch VAR.

It’s imperfect and whatever ‘solutions’ we try to introduce someone will be unhappy.  Probably most of us most of the time.

On 12/09/2024 at 21:00, Moonboot said:

When I saw the headline I assumed it was for Moult being hauled down in the box. To me that was a stonewall penalty and the handball was kinda a 50/50 in comparison.

Also McCracken should have walked for the foul on Trap with the goal line clearance and that's a hill I'll die on.

Not that there are hard feelings or anything...