18 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Was that not the complaint when Mellon was manager? Boring to watch, not many goals etc...

I really don’t think you can compare us at the moment to Mellonball.  Well you can but you really shouldn’t.

No one is going into a coma watching us just now.

3 hours ago, Groot said:

VDS? 

What's the opinion? 

Loves maybe even craves a battle. If he hasnt been elbowed, kicked or wrestled then i feel he hasnt had a good time out there. Needs a striker next to him imo to see the best of him.

I'm moving to the thought that, for as long as we play 1 up top then it should be Moult as we know he is a goal threat. In saying that I'm happy to stick with VDS and look to rinse more out the 4 who play behind him as goal threats. 

Moult to start and if it ain't working play a 2 up top with VDS and another 

My advice to Mr Goodwin is to allow Trapanovski the freedom to play off either wing.  Babunski is best utilised as the most advanced of a central midfield 3. 

I feel like Jim is trying for a symmetrical formation up front and is lessening your most potent talents by doing so.  Square pegs, round holes.

So a 3-5-1-1 formation.

Otherwise, great job so far.  Good to see our biggest clubs doing the right things.

Edited by footnotes

1 hour ago, footnotes said:

My advice to Mr Goodwin is to allow Trapanovski the freedom to play off either wing.  Babunski is best utilised as the most advanced of a central midfield 3. 

I feel like Jim is trying for a symmetrical formation up front and is lessening your most potent talents by doing so.  Square pegs, round holes.

So a 3-5-1-1 formation.

There's a school of thought, that if your CBs aren't great, play 3 of them. Goodwin took this to a new level by playing 4 with Holt in midfield.

I say, play less of them and pack the midfield (with midfielders).

Goodwin shifted to 433 for.a spell, and I hope he sticks with it.

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d agree with that.  If he starts getting decent service and can’t convert then that’s when he will start attracting criticism.

Also I get the impression that just now he’s doing what Goodwin wants him to do so if there’s any criticism it needs to be shared by the manager.

We are where we are in the league due to being solid defensively rather than battering in the goals and if that continues to work as a strategy I don’t think anyone will get to upset.

This season’s all about staying up as far as I’m concerned.

23 hours ago, Groot said:

VDS? 

What's the opinion? 

He's a better technical footballer than Moult, can link up the play, works hard, can hold the ball up well enough but the system we play won't allow him to have many goalscoring opportunities, he always seem to be surrounded by the opposiiton anytime he gets on the ball since he is so central so it's hard for him to do much with it. It is a bit like watching Scotland where the striker is often isolated as majority of our team is in front of the ball, you could have Mbappe instead of VDS and he would struggle IMO.

It would help if we can sort out our right hand side of the attack, we are a bit one dimensional with most of our creativity coming through Ferry and Trap. Once Strain is back, I think we will be creating some more chances but Babunski is wasted in that RM/RW type role

9 hours ago, kdyteejay said:

This season’s all about staying up as far as I’m concerned.

I agree that’s the first priority, but I’m sure we would all like to do as well as possible.

In particular it would be nice if we’re not looking over our shoulder the whole season worrying about dropping down in one of the bottom two spots.

On 16/09/2024 at 12:52, Twinkle said:

Was that not the complaint when Mellon was manager? Boring to watch, not many goals etc...

Think the difference is you can see what Goodwin wants to do in attack. He wants Jort to hold up the ball and be the playmaker for the two Inside Forwards behind him to score the goals. whether or not its working (it's not) or will work in the future (maybe?) is up for debate. I don't think Mellon had a clear idea of what he wanted to do at United, frankly think he can count himself lucky that Siegrist had the season of his career that season.

1 hour ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Think the difference is you can see what Goodwin wants to do in attack. He wants Jort to hold up the ball and be the playmaker for the two Inside Forwards behind him to score the goals. whether or not its working (it's not) or will work in the future (maybe?) is up for debate. I don't think Mellon had a clear idea of what he wanted to do at United, frankly think he can count himself lucky that Siegrist had the season of his career that season.

Mellon probably wanted out at Tannadice quite soon after he arrived, given the strictures he was under. He kept United up after promotion, but the football wasn't great. Perhaps he set the foundations for Courts' 4th place finish the following season, but in that season the football wasn't great either. Courts appeared to want out quickly too.

Quite a number of fans didn't like Mellon, or Courts. Perhaps, generally, the same supporters who don't like Goodwin. The difference I see with Goodwin is Asghar isn't involved. 

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Mellon probably wanted out at Tannadice quite soon after he arrived, given the strictures he was under. He kept United up after promotion, but the football wasn't great. Perhaps he set the foundations for Courts' 4th place finish the following season, but in that season the football wasn't great either. Courts appeared to want out quickly too.

Quite a number of fans didn't like Mellon, or Courts. Perhaps, generally, the same supporters who don't like Goodwin. The difference I see with Goodwin is Asghar isn't involved. 

I was speaking regularly at the time with a guy who used to work for United who also had to work with Mellon regularly and apparently he was absolutely awful to work with. Never liked him because of it.

Courts is a big what-if for me. Got a good result in a weak league and left before he got the chance to use that massive budget that Asghar/Ross would waste.

As for Goodwin, I didn't want him hired, didn't want him kept for the championship, came round to him after us dominating the early stages of last season, soured on him to the point that I wanted him sacked after the Dunfermline defeat, and now I don't know what to think anymore. He signs aswell, he has always signed well (except for Anthony Stewart), the problem is tactical. 

I’m not a fan of Goodwin, thought he’d really struggle back in the top division and predicted he would be gone before Christmas.

I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

Aspects of the football have not been great but still far better than when Mellon was in charge.

Goodwin willingness to change his mistakes early in the games is a positive sign. He seemed very reluctant or unable to change games last year.

The fact he has had to do it in at least 2 league games already is a worry but I'm now at the comfortable with him stage.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Goodwin willingness to change his mistakes early in the games is a positive sign. He seemed very reluctant or unable to change games last year.

The fact he has had to do it in at least 2 league games already is a worry but I'm now at the comfortable with him stage.

Although he shouldve made changes in the Derby around the hour mark and didnt which probably cost us all three points

Eta - that looks like a dig but even Pep doesnt get it right 100% of the time

Edited by Twinkle

Bottom tier now appears to be open for the Motherwell tie on Friday evening. Not sure how many more fans have to get tickets, but it's a decent effort for a Friday night away game.

If anyone is looking for an excuse not to go though, Beaton's the referee.  Beaton was born in Motherwell.

17 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Bottom tier now appears to be open for the Motherwell tie on Friday evening. Not sure how many more fans have to get tickets, but it's a decent effort for a Friday night away game.

If anyone is looking for an excuse not to go though, Beaton's the referee.  Beaton was born in Motherwell.

I wasn’t looking for an excuse not to go but nonetheless I’m glad you’ve provided one for me.

22 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

So Beaton is now a Rangers and Motherwell fan?