Just How Bad Could It Get ?

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Argentina World Cup W1 D1 L1 - that’s as good as any Scotland team has done since then at a tournament.

Yep, definitely...just not the 3rd/4th place play off lots of us expected

9 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Seen a few posts from you, like Germany are some sort of unstoppable force we have no hope in hell of getting anything from, not even arrived in Germany yet and we are beat.

If we turn up we have a great chance of something, Germany are well off were they should be, if there is ever a chance to catch them it's now in the opening game with all pressure on the hosts, hope you enjoy the game/tourney, sounds like your right up for it.

I think we'll get 4 points from this group, if we don't then so be it, we are there, just enjoy the ride.

You may be right in which case fantastic, utterly brilliant. I may be right in which case, oh well, f**k it. Either way, we are there and it's wonderful to be back on the big stage. Nothing to be miserable, depressed or suicidal about. 

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's mainly because I just like to.

But it's also because I don't think the other supporters on here are really expressing misery either.

I've just remembered that I started a thread specifically for you to moan about the inevitability of England winning the tournament, and how terrible it's going to be, so I'm understanding more now.

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

You mistake realism for 'miserableness' , the common mistake of vacuous optimists throughout the ages. It's perfectly ok to be both excited and delighted that Scotland are at the finals while simultaneously being of the opinion that this injury affected Scotland team are not, at the minute, very good and may well lose all three matches and possibly take a pasting from Germany. It's the healthy way. Since first watching Scotland in major finals in 1974 the only time I've not felt like this was Argentina 78 and we all know how that turned out.  

Obsessing about how we're going to fail and refusing to consider the possibility that this might be an enjoyable occasion is pretty miserable as far as I'm concerned. I feel sorry for anyone who views tournaments in this way and don't understand why they'd put themselves through it.

I do kinda wonder how they'd react to success, though. Moaning that we'll never build on it and we'll be in League D with the minnows soon enough? I suppose the answer would be "you'll never know, as we'll never be successful".

We probably won't beat Germany, but a draw is achievable and would be a great point.  We went to London and got a point last time round, and that was with a less experienced team, though the personnell will be much the same.  None of us were too enthusiastic about O' Donnelll dealing with their attacks, especially after the first game, but he was excellent that night.  Is the gap between Germany and us much different from the gap between England and us three years ago?

Germany should beat us.  Of course they should.  But what would be the point of football if we just resigned ourselves to that happening before a ball is even kicked?  Nobody's saying go full Jimmy Calderwood and injure half the team to get a win, but football doesn't work like that anyway.  A point would put us in a great position for progression from the groups.

19 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

What were people thinking in 1998 when we were up against that brilliant Brazil team? We ran them close.  The bigger teams almost always start slowly so I'm pretty optomistic.

I was still a teenager at the time.

Personally, I was scared.

We were going up against one of the greatest Brazilian teams of all time and the joint best team at the time (France were amazing, too)

We fared very well. Ronaldo barely got a sniff. Collins and Lambert were brilliant in midfield. Defensively we were sound.

It took a corner and an OG to score again us.

This time I'm optimistic. We're playing well, we're playing with confidence. We have players playing at the top level.

We have nothing to be scared of

Posted (edited)

There has been many times where I've seen teams go into tournament/league football on the back of either poor performances or results and go on to do well so I don't think we should be too down about our chances. We fully deserved to qualify so let's not forget that. 

It's the same for injuries, I mean we had fucking Stephen O'Donnell playing RB for us against England at Wembley and he did no bad! At least we have a fairly strong first 11 still, we'll miss Hickey but the likes of Ralston and McCrorie will still do a job for us. Hanley returning aswell is a bonus as I think he improves our defence and Conway will be an unknown quantity, who knows maybe he will turn out to be a revelation over the next few games if he gets played.

Edited by Butters Scotch

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

And our squad here is certainly no worse than the 98 squad

Agreed though I would probably argue that our defence is a bit poorer. I'd take the current midfield every day of the week. Up front is probably a matter of opinion.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've just remembered that I started a thread specifically for you to moan about the inevitability of England winning the tournament, and how terrible it's going to be, so I'm understanding more now.

Obsessing about how we're going to fail and refusing to consider the possibility that this might be an enjoyable occasion is pretty miserable as far as I'm concerned. I feel sorry for anyone who views tournaments in this way and don't understand why they'd put themselves through it.

I do kinda wonder how they'd react to success, though. Moaning that we'll never build on it and we'll be in League D with the minnows soon enough? I suppose the answer would be "you'll never know, as we'll never be successful".

Who's 'obsessing about how we're going to fail' ? A simple opinion that I don't think Scotland will qualify from the group is not an obsession. Do you accuse those who say Scotland will qualify as 'obsessing' about success ? And I know it will be an enjoyable occasion. 

Edited by kennie makevin

7 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Agreed though I would probably argue that our defence is a bit poorer. I'd take the current midfield every day of the week. Up front is probably a matter of opinion.

You'd take Gilmour, McGregor and McTominay over Collins, Lambert and Jackson? (Jackson played deep against Brazil)

I wouldn't.

If we did a 98/2024 combined XI there would be 7 from 98 and 4 from 2024 (Robertson, Tierney, Gilmour and McGinn)

14 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

You'd take Gilmour, McGregor and McTominay over Collins, Lambert and Jackson? (Jackson played deep against Brazil)

I wouldn't.

If we did a 98/2024 combined XI there would be 7 from 98 and 4 from 2024 (Robertson, Tierney, Gilmour and McGinn)

Colin Hendry, Calderwood, Collins, Gallagher, Lambert would be the only players I would select from the 98 team that would likely start in our 11 now. 

30 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Who's 'obsessing about how we're going to fail' ? A simple opinion that I don't think Scotland will qualify from the group is not an obsession. Do you accuse those who say Scotland will qualify as 'obsessing' about success ? And I know it will be an enjoyable occasion. 

I haven't accused you of anything either. These are the first posts I remember you making on the subject.

Opening games;

1974 - 2-0 Zaire - no enough

1978 - 1-3 Peru - yikes

1982 - 5-2 New Zealand - costly poor defending

1986 - 0-1 Denmark - toothless but a great Danish side

1990 - 0-1 Costa Rica - yikes squared 

1992 - 0-1 Netherlands - chap called Bergkamp

1996 - 0-0 Netherlands - ya dancer!

1998 - 1-2 Brazil

2021 - 0-2 Czechia

Not many opening wins or even draws. Most likely a plucky defeat against a top side a la 86. 92, 96.

26 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Colin Hendry, Calderwood, Collins, Gallagher, Lambert would be the only players I would select from the 98 team that would likely start in our 11 now. 

Leighton would definitely start ahead of Gunn. 

48 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

There's not much in it but, yes, I would definitely choose the former.