Just How Bad Could It Get ?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Yep.

Burley over whomever plays right wing back, too.

McNamara would also be playing right wing back over what we've been left with now that is for certain! 

Edited by Hendricks

4 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

There's not much in it but, yes, I would definitely choose the former.

Fair enough.

It's a big call, though.

Collins was beloved at Monaco and Lambert has a European Cup winner's medal in one pocket and Zidane in the other.

The Euro 96 midfield of McCall, McAllister and Collins is also better than our current midfield.

But it's all about opinions.

3 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Fair enough.

It's a big call, though.

Collins was beloved at Monaco and Lambert has a European Cup winner's medal in one pocket and Zidane in the other.

The Euro 96 midfield of McCall, McAllister and Collins is also better than our current midfield.

Completely agree. If the current midfield plays anywhere near as well as that one did in the games v Holland, England and Switzerland in 96 and Brazil and Norway in 98 then we'll likely qualify out of the group. We were very unlucky not to take more points in 3 of those matches (England, Brazil and Norway).

2 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

I don't think he would, he was a bombscare around 1998

Pretty much single handedly won us the critical qualifying game v Sweden at Ibrox. 

2 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Pretty much single handedly won us the critical qualifying game v Sweden at Ibrox. 

I wasn't there, watched it live on cooncil telly (different days...) and I remember bursting out laughing at the final whistle. Sweden all over us from the first minute, some unbelievable saves from Leighton, we score on a rare trip upfield, and at full time the Swedes walk off shaking their heads and wondering how that happened.

9 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Fair enough.

It's a big call, though.

Yeah, i can see arguments either way. I was judging them as a three and Jackson (for all that he did well for Scotland) probably swings it in favour of our current three.

Anyway just rewatched this and I'm now extremely confident that we might hear a repeat of 'do Scotland (pause) have something else in the locker' against Germany.

6 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Completely agree. If the current midfield plays anywhere near as well as that one did in the games v Holland, England and Switzerland in 96 and Brazil and Norway in 98 then we'll likely qualify out of the group. We were very unlucky not to take more points in 3 of those matches (England, Brazil and Norway).

Couldn't agree more.

We more than held our own against Holland, England and Brazil and we hammered Switzerland and Norway.

Could this midfield replicate it? I don't think it would.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Yeah, i can see arguments either way. I was judging them as a three and Jackson (for all that he did well for Scotland) probably swings it in favour of our current three.

Anyway just rewatched this and I'm now extremely confident that we might hear a repeat of 'do Scotland (pause) have something else in the locker' against Germany.

Yeah. The Jackson thing was an experiment that almost paid off (if social media was around back then Craig Brown would've been eviscerated for it)

His energy in the middle made a difference.

Burley played in midfield for the 2nd and 3rd matches.

I rewatched all three matches about a week ago. Awesome memories. We were so lucky to go out at the group stage, same with Euro 96.

https://footballia.eu/teams/scotland?page=2

Hopefully we can flip the script this time around.

Edited by SlayerX

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen from a Scotland keeper.

Was actually my very first Scotland games I attended.

Edited by SlayerX

I'd have pretty much any goalkeeper that's been a permanent number 1 for a period including the likes of Sullivan and Douglas ahead of Gunn tbh. I'd say that's really the only notable downgrade in the team right now and the drop off from Gunn/Gordon to Clark/Kelly is terrifying.

I think our CH's are probably the weakest they've been in a long time too.

Individually, bar McGinn, Tierney and Robertson, I would hardly label this Scotland team as individually outstanding, they are very much a sum of their parts and form together to create an excellent performing unit which we've lacked over the years and that's the biggest difference IMO.

How often do we truly embarrass ourselves against a pot 1 team in a competitive game?

We've had some low times in the last 20 years but we've also got creditable draws v England, Germany, Italy and beat Spain and France.

We've ran these teams close on most occasions, I can only really think of Belgium and maybe Russia that really battered us.

We tend to raise our games for the big teams, obviously Croatia and Czech Republic were devastating at the last euros but we still competed well for the most part.

On 04/06/2024 at 10:27, coprolite said:

Mutant airborne Ebola, spread by panicking fans returning home, could wipe out 3/4 of the continent's population. 

I’m struggling to find a downside to that scenario.

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

1998 Leighton?  Not for me

Yep. Wasn't at the peak of his powers but he's a Scotland great and Gunn still has it all to prove. As I said we wouldn't even have been at the 98 WC if it hadn't been for Leighton in qualifying. Right now Gunn is a mile behind Leighton, Goram and Gordon. 

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

Yeah. The Jackson thing was an experiment that almost paid off (if social media was around back then Craig Brown would've been eviscerated for it)

His energy in the middle made a difference.

Burley played in midfield for the 2nd and 3rd matches.

I rewatched all three matches about a week ago. Awesome memories. We were so lucky to go out at the group stage, same with Euro 96.

https://footballia.eu/teams/scotland?page=2

Hopefully we can flip the script this time around.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I recall that whenever Roberto Carlos would go forward with Brazil in possession - which was most of the game - Darren Jackson would move into the space he left behind. It gave us a very useful out ball and it caused Carlos to have to watch his back. It was a brilliant move by Craig Brown.

Social media and the internet in general will make this a totally different experience for fans compared with 1998. One example - at the Morocco game, we didn't know Craig Burley had died his hair blond. We thought it was Bill McKinlay getting sent off. 

34 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Yep. Wasn't at the peak of his powers but he's a Scotland great and Gunn still has it all to prove. As I said we wouldn't even have been at the 98 WC if it hadn't been for Leighton in qualifying. Right now Gunn is a mile behind Leighton, Goram and Gordon. 

If we were picking a keeper who'd played well 2 years before the finals we'd be picking Gordon this time round.  Leighton in 98 was done,  which we unfortunately  saw during the finals. 

12 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

It can't get any worse than this. I've made myself angry all over again.

I'm not sure any of the '98 midfielders could/would have done this.

Which was worse?

McTominay v Spain or Hutton/Panucci incident v Italy 07?