Premier Sports TV Deal

25 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Severe lack of self awareness in the replies.

So, does this mean that Premier will pick up other teams instead of tge two they could have shown at Parkhead? I suspect the answer here is that they will pick up whatever game is not being shown on Sky that involves Celtic or Rangers away?

Whatever the outcome, let's never do 8pm on a Sunday night again.

What would have been good is the 10 games being run on a SPFL tv with season ticket holders getting free subscriptions and something like £5 per month for everyone else. Low enough to be a no brainer and doesn't out out ST holders. Should have used it as a trial run for the entire package next time out. 

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

What would have been good is the 10 games being run on a SPFL tv with season ticket holders getting free subscriptions and something like £5 per month for everyone else. Low enough to be a no brainer and doesn't out out ST holders. Should have used it as a trial run for the entire package next time out. 

It would be good and a no-brainer if this didn't cost anyone anything to run or do, as opposed to Premier paying for the rights to do this.

3 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Whatever the outcome, let's never do 8pm on a Sunday night again.

TV was not the reason that Rangers v St J was an 8pm kick off. Rangers forgot to request an away game that Sunday because the Great Scottish Run was in Glasgow and there were significant road closures. Even a 5pm kick off would've been chaos.

46 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

TV was not the reason that Rangers v St J was an 8pm kick off. Rangers forgot to request an away game that Sunday because the Great Scottish Run was in Glasgow and there were significant road closures. Even a 5pm kick off would've been chaos.

Understand the reasons behind it, but let's not give Premier or anyone else any encouragement to do it again. Suspect it is a bit of a dead space in their schedule.

I remember the 6pm on a Sunday kick offs and they became regular and were horrific too. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

So, does this mean that Premier will pick up other teams instead of tge two they could have shown at Parkhead? I suspect the answer here is that they will pick up whatever game is not being shown on Sky that involves Celtic or Rangers away?

There will be very few Celtic or Rangers away games not shown on Sky.

Obviously we had one a couple of weekends ago, but that was a rare occurrence because, for whatever reason, Sky wanted Rangers v Hibs instead.

It was reported at the time it was announced that Premier's TV deal limits them to 2 games per ground. They don't need Celtic Park (or any games in leu) to reach that number. 

It is ridiculous that a team can opt-out of a TV deal, but will still receive benefit from it. The reported numbers relate only to the facilities fees paid to clubs for the "inconvenience" of moving games from Saturday 3pm. But the vast majority of the money paid by Premier will go into the overall prize pot, which Celtic will be paid from at the end of the season. 

Wait, is that serious? That Celtic are allowed to "opt out"? Who the f**k agreed to that? I know it's not any bother to Celtic but surely then they shouldn't get any of the Premier tv money? Mind you, Rangers shouldn't have got any of the Cinch prize money as well, and as we all know Scottish football is run by and for the benefit of two clubs and two clubs only.

I can't believe that company would agree to a TV deal where the clubs can just say, "Nah, not having that, stick your TV coverage". What kind of message does it send to prospective media partners? - Spend X on Scottish football coverage and we can't even guarantee that the games you want to televise will be televised, as one of the clubs may go in the huff and say no. Shambolic.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Wait, is that serious? That Celtic are allowed to "opt out"? Who the f**k agreed to that? I know it's not any bother to Celtic but surely then they shouldn't get any of the Premier tv money? Mind you, Rangers shouldn't have got any of the Cinch prize money as well, and as we all know Scottish football is run by and for the benefit of two clubs and two clubs only.

What have we done now?

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Rangers very famously refused to carry the cinch sponsorship?

One of the few occasions where we were actually in the right, it can't be that.

3 hours ago, bennett said:

I don't understand why they were in the right?

The league is sponsored by a betting company this season and has been in the past while Rangers and Celtic have carried different betting firms as their main shirt sponsor. It's only an issue if a board member at a club has a vested interest??

3 hours ago, bennett said:

Surely the argument being made would be that, whether or not Rangers were in the right, they cannot be benefiting from a deal which they did not particpate in.

3 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I don't understand why they were in the right?

The league is sponsored by a betting company this season and has been in the past while Rangers and Celtic have carried different betting firms as their main shirt sponsor. It's only an issue if a board member at a club has a vested interest??

Rangers had a pre existing contract which meant that they couldn't enter into the Cinch and informed the spfl through Neil Doncaster, who went ahead with the Cinch deal anyway. 

Rangers followed the spfl's own rules.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Surely the argument being made would be that, whether or not Rangers were in the right, they cannot be benefiting from a deal which they did not particpate in.

Not sure why Rangers should miss out financially due to Neil Doncasters incompetence. 

14 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

12 hours ago, The Master said:

There will be very few Celtic or Rangers away games not shown on Sky.

Hmmm they seem to be doing they're best to pick up the game that Sky don't.

I mean Celitc being able to "opt out" is f**king wild. However I am pretty unsettled they are just aiming for as many OF games as possible. I was hoping for things like St Johnstone v Dundee etc.

22 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

However I am pretty unsettled they are just aiming for as many OF games as possible. I was hoping for things like St Johnstone v Dundee etc.

They’re not, though. They’ve shown 2 so far, and will show only another 2 before the end of the year. 

They’ve already shown Dundee v Hearts and Ross County v Aberdeen, and will be showing Aberdeen v Dundee Utd, Dundee v Hibs, Hearts v Aberdeen, Motherwell v Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd v Aberdeen.

29 minutes ago, The Master said:

They’re not, though. They’ve shown 2 so far, and will show only another 2 before the end of the year. 

They’ve already shown Dundee v Hearts and Ross County v Aberdeen, and will be showing Aberdeen v Dundee Utd, Dundee v Hibs, Hearts v Aberdeen, Motherwell v Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd v Aberdeen.

2 too many