Premier Sports TV Deal

12 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Whole club and fans are Tory mindset. Club totally prescrible to the lack of distribution of wealth and promote trickle down, but in reality throw scraps. Fans lap it up and gloat over having more than everyone else and how other fans should be thankful for the money Celtic bring to the rest. That Celtic fans kiddy on care about Social causes is nothing more than to make themselves feel better about their true colours.

You know all of this though, but don't want to admit it. 

I do think that plenty of Celtic fans care about social causes, it's just that they're incapable of applying that same attitude when it comes to the football. 

10 minutes ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the 'tradition' of the 3pm kicks offs in 2024 anymore?

I understand why they were set at that in the first place, but the world has changed now.  There are just as many folk that can't make 3pm on a Saturday due to work commitments as can't make Sunday at 12.30pm, or 7.45pm on a Wednesday, etc

I think it’s more ideal for a family who want to go to the game and be home for a decent time. 
I don’t have kids or a 9-5 worker so kick off times don’t effect me really but any kick off early or late on a Sunday seems to cause problems due to the draconian public transport system we have also. The 8 o’clock kick off last Sunday was ridiculous. I appreciate that wasn’t really down to TV though.

Edited by gannonball

I think it's worth noting that none of the fans of the rest of the clubs want Celtic and Rangers away games to all be on TV either.  They are purely for the number of armchair fans of each club and the supposed external interest in their fortunes.  Both clubs need to accept that if you are a big club winning things every year then you're going to be on TV more because there's more interest in your games, but equally it shouldn't be much more extreme than Utd being clearly the most covered club in last season's Championship and should clearly include both home and away games.

The idea we've ended up in a position where that has to be debated is absurd.

I know the current BBC Championship deal is for no more than 2 home games per club and they must be played on a Friday night. Do any clubs have a veto for that deal? I presume the Police could say they didn't want a big game on a Friday night for a specific reason, but can (one of) the clubs involved just say "no, we'd rather stick to Saturday 3pm, please"?

I get the feeling the answer to that will be "No", so I wonder what is different in the Premier Sports deal?

Hmmm, that is a tricky one, isn't it???

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Celtic are c***s and their fans are mainly c***s, but I'm finding it hard to disagree with their stance here.

Celtic fans almost never have away games that kick off at 3pm on a Saturday (or Sunday) and if I were one of their fans I'd certainly be unhappy at having some of the home games taken away as well.

One of the issues with getting more tv money is going to be season ticket holders and regular attenders at all clubs accepting that 3pm Saturdays will need to become pretty rare for us to get a "good" tv deal.

People will need to consider for themselves whether they are ok with that. I'd rather keep things as they are, to be honest.

Yet we all have to move our home games to suit them. Could we say f**k off?

12 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Surely it’s a case of suiting the broadcasters, rather than suiting Celtic (or Rangers). I’m sure 99% of fans would rather an away match at Pittodrie to take place at 3pm on a Saturday compared to 12pm on a Sunday.

Additionally, in our case anyway, many of our games have no choice but to take place on a Sunday due to our involvement in the Europa League on Thursday’s.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Literally no one is saying that.

Well it depends on your initial starting point I guess. I'd argue that...

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Celtic fans almost never have away games that kick off at 3pm on a Saturday (or Sunday) and if I were one of their fans I'd certainly be unhappy at having some of the home games taken away as well.

... is making out that "poor celtic fans, never getting 3pm kick offs for away games" and "quite right Celtic fans being upset that some home games aren't on at 3pm on a Saturday when every other club has to deal with thst multiple times a season" fits that criterion. I get that some people who are more versed to taking their side for everything might not agree though.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Surely it’s a case of suiting the broadcasters, rather than suiting Celtic (or Rangers). I’m sure 99% of fans would rather an away match at Pittodrie to take place at 3pm on a Saturday compared to 12pm on a Sunday.

Additionally, in our case anyway, many of our games have no choice but to take place on a Sunday due to our involvement in the Europa League on Thursday’s.

Of course it benefits Celtic and Rangers.

At least one of your games is on TV every week.

It's a massive reason why you're the two most supported teams in the country.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

Of course it benefits Celtic and Rangers.

At least one of your games is on TV every week.

It's a massive reason why you're the two most supported teams in the country.

But my point is it’s the broadcasters that select what matches are shown so they usually dictate the kick off days and times.

I’m not saying that doesn’t benefit Celtic or Rangers in the sense you described, but as I mentioned, I’m sure 99% of the fans would prefer a trip to Pittodrie at 3pm on a Saturday. Hence why it isn’t exactly hypocritical that a club chooses to try and protect a Saturday 3pm kick off for one of their own home matches.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

But my point is it’s the broadcasters that select what matches are shown so they usually dictate the kick off days and times.

I’m not saying that doesn’t benefit Celtic or Rangers in the sense you described, but as I mentioned, I’m sure 99% of the fans would prefer a trip to Pittodrie at 3pm on a Saturday. Hence why it isn’t exactly hypocritical that a club chooses to try and protect a Saturday 3pm kick off for one of their own home matches.

And a broadcaster just selected a match to show and were told no by the relevant home team.

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

And a broadcaster just selected a match to show and were told no by the relevant home team.

Which it seems Celtic were within their rights to do so.

I mentioned earlier, the only complaints that I would agree with is if Celtic will still benefit by receiving prize money contributed by Premier Sports despite “opting out” of the agreement.

Outwith that, the fact they’ve decided to keep a match at 3pm on a Saturday is not an issue for me nor do I understand why anyone would be perturbed by it if they prefer their own home matches at 3pm on a Saturday.

Edited by AJF

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

So f**k every other team's fans who might want to see a game at 3pm? Let's let the armchair away fans of Celtic and Rangers see every game but f**k the armchair fans of other clubs? 

Basically, aye. Our league is a league largely run on the basis that we get people into the stadium. Matchgoing fans should be the priority, and I think Celtic making theirs a priority is fair enough.

47 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

We move our games to suit Sky and we do it at most several times a season. It's not the same thing. ETA: If Hearts were to refuse a Saturday evening kick-off at Tynecastle to keep a game at 3pm, I'd be quite pleased.

36 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Well it depends on your initial starting point I guess. I'd argue that...

... is making out that "poor celtic fans, never getting 3pm kick offs for away games" and "quite right Celtic fans being upset that some home games aren't on at 3pm on a Saturday when every other club has to deal with thst multiple times a season" fits that criterion. I get that some people who are more versed to taking their side for everything might not agree though.

Typically quotation marks are used when you're actually quoting someone. What you're doing is inaccurately paraphrasing. Poor show.

I think if you asked matchgoing Old Firm supporters if they're happy with almost all of their away games kicking off at lunchtime, they would say no. I don't think it's unreasonble for their clubs to consider they've been put out enough and want to protect their home games.

People like being angy; especially about things the Old Firm do. But I don't agree with this seemingly growing consensus that football should be run for the whims of the casual viewer at home. As someone who goes to games regularly (and, believe it or not, has other interests, hobbies, and responsibilities in my life besides football), I'd like some consistency in my kick-off times, thank you.

Edited by VincentGuerin

The thing is, Celtic (and Rangers) fans are by miles the mouthiest ones about how shit our TV deal is and that the SPFL are a disgrace for not securing a better deal.

A new deal is introduced and their club just goes “nah I don’t like that”.

55 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Typically quotation marks are used when you're actually quoting someone. What you're doing is inaccurately paraphrasing. Poor show.

I think if you asked matchgoing Old Firm supporters if they're happy with almost all of their away games kicking off at lunchtime, they would say no. I don't think it's unreasonble for their clubs to consider they've been put out enough and want to protect their home games.

Well I'll apologise for paraphrasing.

Celtic fans may well be put out by the fact their away games are not at 3pm on a Saturday but essentially what they (and you, by extention and/or paraphrasing) are saying is that they don't care about fans of other clubs being put out by having their home games moving. In other words, we are happy to take the money for other clubs losing out of having a 3pm kick off but we both want the money and don't want to lose out on a 3pm kick off ourselves. 

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Well I'll apologise for paraphrasing.

Celtic fans may well be put out by the fact their away games are not at 3pm on a Saturday but essentially what they (and you, by extention and/or paraphrasing) are saying is that they don't care about fans of other clubs being put out by having their home games moving. In other words, we are happy to take the money for other clubs losing out of having a 3pm kick off but we both want the money and don't want to lose out on a 3pm kick off ourselves. 

The flip side of that is that Celtic and Rangers feature in almost all of the games broadcast by Sky, but the other clubs get the benefit of having a tv deal despite only having to be on Sky every couple of months or so. The disruption to them is far greater. And I doubt their coaches are thrilled with the constant early kick-offs either.

It's a bit of give and take.

I certainly wouldn't want to swap schedules with the Old Firm fans. I reckon I enjoy my season a lot more than they do.

Also, we seem to have moved into this view that seeing a football match is some kind of human right. It isn't. The tv coverage of the league exists to promote and fund the league. We should be encouraging people to buy a f**king ticket, not sit in the house. If you want to see the game, go to the game.

If you can't go, that's a shame. But you don't have some kind of God-given right to be able to see Celtic v Aberdeen, or whatever.

Edited by VincentGuerin

12 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the 'tradition' of the 3pm kicks offs in 2024 anymore?

I understand why they were set at that in the first place, but the world has changed now.  There are just as many folk that can't make 3pm on a Saturday due to work commitments as can't make Sunday at 12.30pm, or 7.45pm on a Wednesday, etc

In a way I don't care. I think games on a Friday night, Any time Saturday and maybe a 1230pm on a Sunday is fair game. 

If we got a very decent TV deal and there was 3 or 4 games out the 6 on telly over these times I'd be delighted.

It seems like Celtic are getting a lot of praise for ‘putting the fans first’ here. 

If it was happening in the corresponding fixture at Pittodrie, Aberdeen would be hounded for denying Celtic fans the opportunity to watch the game. 

18 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

As someone who goes to games regularly (and, believe it or not, has other interests, hobbies, and responsibilities in my life besides football), I'd like some consistency in my kick-off times, thank you.

I forgot to check with you whether you;

a) made it to Pittodrie last Sunday?

b) if you did, did you last in the ground until the final whistle?

19 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

I don't think a domestic match should be rescheduled to a time where fans cannot return home via public transport after the game (public transport should be better as well). 

For me somewhere on a Saturday between probably 2 & 5:30 is the ideal kick off time for enjoying your day but I don't really mind any of the times we've been scheduled.

I do dislike a Friday night the most, feels like you are in a rush all day.