D-Day commemoration

8 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

My wife and her sister( now in Glenrothes) were interned with other members of her family by the Japanese in Burma.

It's a toughie, but I'm going to go with the Burmese jail.

18 hours ago, scottsdad said:

On a more general point about commemorations, I was a kid when the 50th anniversary stuff was going on. I remember going on holiday to Blackpool in 1990 and there were all kinds of things on there to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. First time I tried a zip wire. 

I can't remember the D-Day stuff from 94, but do remember going to watch them light the flares on the Ochil Hills in 95 to mark the end of the war. 

The 50th was a really big deal and as the years have passed - and, frankly, the remaining soldiers aged and passed away - it's become far less of a thing. The whole history of the second world war is far less known by kids now than it was. 

This might sound a bit odd, but I can't remember studying the Second World War at school and I did history up to Higher.  Tudors and Stuarts, French Revolution, the unification of Germany and World War I, aye but not WW2.

I've been trying to work out where any knowledge I have came from.  The TV series "The World at War" might have been it.  It was pretty good, if memory serves.

Just now, Salt n Vinegar said:

This might sound a bit odd, but I can't remember studying the Second World War at school and I did history up to Higher.  Tudors and Stuarts, French Revolution, the unification of Germany and World War I, aye but not WW2.

I've been trying to work out where any knowledge I have came from.  The TV series "The World at War" might have been it.  It was pretty good, if memory serves.

The World at War is tremendous and should be mandatory viewing for everyone, once a year. 

I was taught it at (I think) Higher History. Standard Grade was the Russian Revolution and the build up to World War 1. Higher was the build up to WW2. Never got any Tudors, Stuarts, or anything like that. Certainly no Scottish history!

9 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The World at War is re-running on Yesterday, I'm sure you can watch the entire series online. 

They show it on a loop, like Friends on the comedy channel..

Should be on ITV instead of Corrie.

11 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

My knowledge came from reading Spike Milligan's war memoirs.... 

I cracked up at his description of the VE Day celebrations (Spike was still in Italy). He went to bed early

"I am woken from sleep. Gentle reader, some b*****d is trying to fart through the keyhole..."

Ted Heath, J D Salinger, Yogi Berra and David Niven (several days after D Day but he was still involved) took part in the Normandy landings too. 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

My knowledge came from reading Spike Milligan's war memoirs.... 

I cracked up at his description of the VE Day celebrations (Spike was still in Italy). He went to bed early

"I am woken from sleep. Gentle reader, some b*****d is trying to fart through the keyhole..."

Mulgrew no doubt.

On 07/06/2024 at 11:34, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The World at War is re-running on Yesterday, I'm sure you can watch the entire series online. 

I can't get it to play.

On 07/06/2024 at 11:10, Salt n Vinegar said:

Could WW2 have been part of Modern Studies for you? I'm 64 and recall History was early to mid 1900s and Modern Studies from around WW2 when I was in secondary school.

18 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I can get in using the Freeview button on my remote.

Freeview - YouTube

I managed to get it through You Tube

2 hours ago, Rael Rover said:

Could WW2 have been part of Modern Studies for you? I'm 64 and recall History was early to mid 1900s and Modern Studies from around WW2 when I was in secondary school.

Hmm... No, I didn't do modern studies. I was at school in the 60s and 70s and there was absolutely nothing modern going on!

As an aside, my first calculator could add, subtract, multiply and divide and had a "constant" key and it cost a staggering £25.  I've just taken a guess that was in 1974 and put it in the inflation calculator.... FFS... nearly £230!!!!!! No wonder my dad told me to look after it!

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hmm... No, I didn't do modern studies. I was at school in the 60s and 70s and there was absolutely nothing modern going on!

As an aside, my first calculator could add, subtract, multiply and divide and had a "constant" key and it cost a staggering £25.  I've just taken a guess that was in 1974 and put it in the inflation calculator.... FFS... nearly £230!!!!!! No wonder my dad told me to look after it!

image.png.54dceb15227d36fa8bb9038cf100fce2.png

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I was at (secondary) school in the 60s and 70s and I did Modern Studies. Can't remember what we studied, but I got an O Grade in it!

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig