When are you leaving?

I'm going on Monday. Edinburgh to Stanstead then from there to Köln (CGN) at 20.10.

Oddly the flight from Stanstead to Köln is quicker than the one from Edinburgh to Stanstead!

Edited by DA Baracus

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm going on Monday. Edinburgh to Stanstead then from there to Köln (CGN) at 20.10.

Oddly the flight from Stanstead to Köln is quicker than the one from Edinburgh to Stanstead!

Of course I had to check. Stansted to Cologne is about 40km shorter if you are flying by crow.

I hope you really enjoy your trip.  I'm sure we all do.

Edited by cyderspaceman

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Fun fact - London is closer to Cardiff, Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam (or The Hague if you're being picky), Brussels and Luxembourg City than it is to Edinburgh. Before German reunification you could add Bonn to that list of capital cities. 

• 3 weeks later...

When did the  'No Scotland, No Party' chant begin?

I found it quite cringe worthy and the fans of most of the other teams (certainly England aside who are very dull but at least they aren't fighting) seem to have created a far better spectacle at the games than the Tartan Army managed.

5 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I found it quite cringe worthy and the fans of most of the other teams (certainly England aside who are very dull but at least they aren't fighting) seem to have created a far better spectacle at the games than the Tartan Army managed.

Not sure on when this chant was started, but my one thought was that 9pm games for the tartan army were not helpful. 9 hours of drinking didn't lead to folk being in a "party" mood - the crowd whilst still decent felt exhausted by the time the games kicked off.

6 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Scotland fans created absolutely brilliant atmospheres in city centres, often in places we weren't even playing. We're the Germans' favourite people now. On trains, trams and buses, everywhere you went, locals were talking to Scotland fans and getting invited to join us.

A lot of the stuff from other sets of fans is coordinated events that looks good on social media, but isn't the same thing as creating an atmosphere all day.

I'd agree we're really nothing special in the grounds and I was surprised by how quiet we were. I'd agree with Big Fifer that drinking all day - and for days before - had a lot to do with it. Much of the Tartan Army were not at their best by kick off.

Posted (edited)
On 08/07/2024 at 13:31, Bogbrush1903 said:

Been around for a long time. 

The atmosphere during the games was quite similar to Hampden these days, same small number of songs sang repeatedly by fans often too pished by that point. I totally agree with points other have mentioned around kickoff times, it was a real sore one having each one at 9pm, by the final game I couldn't really by fucked with a lot of aspects of it. I think we'd benefit from the younger fan base influence, similar to how many Scottish club teams now have, to generate some new material. I'd seen a couple of groups trying get some new songs to catch on but either people were too pished or it wasn't on the approved list so it was round 400 of "We've got McGinn" it's like playing your favourite tune over and over again you'll eventually get sick of it, except it's not your favourite tune and it's getting played way more. 

Edited by thistledo
Shocking grammar

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thistledo said:

so it was round 400 of "We've got McGinn" it's like playing your favourite tune over and over again you'll eventually get sick of it, except it's not your favourite tune and it's getting played way more. 

And it's not even like that's a Scotland song. Loads of team use it ("We've got [insert favourite player name here]").

It's like a shitey template strip

Edited by Gordopolis

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

And it's not even like that's a Scotland song. Loads of team use it ("We've got [insert favourite player name here]").

It's like a shitey template strip

Yes and whilst I don't mind generic songs tweaked to suit us, some variety goes a long way. 

On 08/07/2024 at 13:31, Bogbrush1903 said:

The first time I became aware of being sung en masse was the first Gibraltar game in Faro which was October 2015 though it was probably sung before then.

So around ten years.

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

I think we'd benefit from the younger fan base influence...

How many away games did you need to have been to in order to qualify for Euro 24 tickets? Accumulating points means flying all over the place, it's an expensive business so naturally it skews towards older age groups to some extent. I noticed that a lot of the folk at the matches looked old enough that they're past the age of looking after children.

45 minutes ago, GordonS said:

How many away games did you need to have been to in order to qualify for Euro 24 tickets? Accumulating points means flying all over the place, it's an expensive business so naturally it skews towards older age groups to some extent. I noticed that a lot of the folk at the matches looked old enough that they're past the age of looking after children.

0. Tickets were available to those on less than 12 loyalty points.

59 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Actually just made it to 12 due to people cancelling Lille tickets and I travelled anyway in the hopes I might get one of those that cancelled, other than that all home games and renewals is where my points are from. I've got a young family so travel not always ideal and agree it's an expensive business following the national team. I thought it was fairly mixed in the fans first area, obviously a lot of glengarry and badges brigade, but more diverse than I was expecting. 

23 hours ago, GordonS said:

A lot of the stuff from other sets of fans is coordinated events that looks good on social media, but isn't the same thing as creating an atmosphere all day.

My feeling on the "Tartan Army" is that the crowds look great at a distance or on social media but get too close and you'll be surrounded by attention-seeking das and the lads holiday brigade. 

4 hours ago, TeeMan said:

0. Tickets were available to those on less than 12 loyalty points.

Though tbf those were only (?) available to people who could afford to pay big bucks for a ticket or had someone willing to do so for them. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Though tbf those were only (?) available to people who could afford to pay big bucks for a ticket or had someone willing to do so for them. 

My mate on 12 pts got 3 fans first tickets.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Ah fair enough, that wasn't the talk beforehand. 

Yeah, if you had the full 12 home points then you were in the first buying round. Lower than that as @accies1874 says it was only the more expensive tickets available, which were especially eye watering for the Munich game.

12 hours ago, accies1874 said:

My feeling on the "Tartan Army" is that the crowds look great at a distance or on social media but get too close and you'll be surrounded by attention-seeking das and the lads holiday brigade. 

My three tickets cost £142 in total.  My Nephews got theirs for £93 for all three (I went for second cheapest for Swiss and Hungary whilst they got Fans First for all three games)  No away games in recent years but all home games and regular SSC renewals had me on 12 points.