Germany - Scotland

Hopefully, your players can relax and put in some decent performances throughout the tournament.  I'll be enjoying the build up on the radio, during the day and hoping you can GIRU the Germans.  Anyone out there, have a great trip.

39 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

How do you suppose a team which is slow, short, not very physical and has the vast majority of its quality spread across midfield and left-back  is supposed to play, other than in the patient manner that Clarke sets us up?

Patient for what exactly? The opposition score...At least Craig Levein has outed himself on P&B.

Are you advocating Prague tactics again?

55 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You're at it here.

Which part?

Lambert was the MOTM in the European Cup final and he marked Zidane out of the game and he even got an assist for good measure.

If you think Gilmour, McTominay, McGregor or McGinn are better than a European Cup winner then fair enough.

And yes, Juventus wanted him.

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/paul-lambert-inspired-dortmund-overcome-zizous-juve-europe

If people want to disagree, fine. At least put up a better rebuttal than "You're at it".

People these days think any opinion that they disagree with is a wind up. It's so weird.

Just respect opinions of others and if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Edited by SlayerX

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Patient for what exactly? The opposition score...At least Craig Levein has outed himself on P&B.

Are you advocating Prague tactics again?

I'm advocating we play to our squads strengths.

You're advocating that we play as if we have Vinicious Jr and Rodrygo up front.

15 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Which part?

Lambert was the MOTM in the European Cup final and he marked Zidane out of the game.

If you think Gilmour, McTominay, McGregor or McGinn are better than a European Cup winner then fair enough.

And yes, Juventus wanted him.

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/paul-lambert-inspired-dortmund-overcome-zizous-juve-europe

If people want to disagree, fine. At least put up a better rebuttal than "You're at it".

People these days think any opinion that they disagree with is a wind up. It's so weird.

Just respect opinions of others and if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Paul Lambert was not on the level of Deschamps. That's why you have to be at it.

Careers are based on one off games.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Paul Lambert was not on the level of Deschamps. That's why you have to be at it.

Careers are based on one off games.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8370651/Paul-Lambert-recalls-remarkable-journey-Motherwell-winning-Champions-League-final.html

"Juventus tried to sign Lambert after the final but he did not want to leave, a resolve that was again tested when his son began suffering febrile convulsions."

What does Marcello Lippi know?

Maybe Marcello Lippi was "at it", too.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Can we get some flegs in the thread title please? I know we're playing Germany and Switzerland but brutalist minimalism isn't to my taste. 

I honestly am not particularly excited about tomorrow, which is a weird thing to feel. I daresay I'll feel differently at 8pm. 

1-0 Scotland. McTominay with a thunderbolt from the edge of the box.

He's taking our goal kicks is he?

12 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8370651/Paul-Lambert-recalls-remarkable-journey-Motherwell-winning-Champions-League-final.html

"Juventus tried to sign Lambert after the final but he did not want to leave, a resolve that was again tested when his son began suffering febrile convulsions."

What does Marcello Lippi know?

Maybe Marcello Lippi was "at it", too.

He was a good player. 

But not on the level of Deschamps. Where does Lippi say he was?

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

He was a good player. 

But not on the level of Deschamps. Where does Lippi say he was?

Lippi was the Juventus manager at the time. Of memory serves he wanted to pair Deschamps up with Lambert with Zidane at the top of the triangle.

These are the days when Juventus were great. Teams like that are rarely interested in players they don't deem good enough.

It's a Scottish thing to talk ourselves down. Just a few days ago people were saying Mainoo is better than McGregor.

Lambert was equal to Dunga and Deschamps.

I recall at the time, Zico even saying that Lambert was good enough for play for Brazil.

It's not a sin to big up our own once a while.

For a country that helped shape the modern word we are so fucking modest.

I have never been this excited for a game before, genuinely feel like a kid at Christmas Eve. 

I can see us putting in a very good performance, hopefully we can carry a bit of luck with that. 

When playing against the big nations (especially away from home) you need big moments to go your way. 

Germany 0-1 Scotland

Edited by Connor7

2 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

On the topic of Lambert, it's always said he was the MOTM in that final. Is there any authentic source that this is true? Seems largely apocryphal. 

It is true.

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/paul-lambert-inspired-dortmund-overcome-zizous-juve-europe#:~:text=With their midfield tussle ongoing,Reidle at the back post.

Still doesn't mean he was on the level of Deschamps in general, especially when he then scurried off that 'European superpower' Celtic.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Is it? There's no verifiable source there

The Bundesliga website says it was Jurgen Kohler

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/reliving-borussia-dortmund-s-1997-uefa-champions-league-win-20113

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It is true.

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/paul-lambert-inspired-dortmund-overcome-zizous-juve-europe#:~:text=With their midfield tussle ongoing,Reidle at the back post.

Still doesn't mean he was on the level of Deschamps in general, especially when he then scurried off that 'European superpower' Celtic.

You think Borussia Dortmund wanted him to leave?

The fans loved him.

He left because his kid was ill and he wanted to return to Scotland.

Larsson and Laudrup joined the "powerhouses" of the Old Firm. Both were world class.

Edited by SlayerX

It might be wishful thinking but it looked to me like McGinn has been playing at about 50% in order to just keep himself ticking over before the big games.

Since we are going off topic am I the only that thinks we should have had a penalty against Spain at Hampden when Dykes missed that chance from the long ball?

It looks a clear shove just as he is away to hit it but no-one (not even Dykes) claims for it 🙅‍♂️

Edited by Alert Mongoose

6 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

On the topic of Lambert, it's always said he was the MOTM in that final. Is there any authentic source that this is true? Seems largely apocryphal. 

I can't find anything concrete but I'm sure he said something in this years European Cup final build up that he was given a medal or something for the MOTM.

He assisted a goal and kept Zidane quiet. It's safe to assume that he had in exceptional evening.

I also remember him in the Semis against Manchester United. A couple of brilliant performances.

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

I'm advocating we play to our squads strengths.

You're advocating that we play as if we have Vinicious Jr and Rodrygo up front.

I'm advocating that we balance our defensive duties with maintaining an attacking threat on the counter.

As opposed to setting up camp round our 18 yard box and letting the Germans play volleys and headers.

We're not San Marino, we have players that perform at high level.

This isn't a German team that we should fear, some great individuals but they haven't proved yet that they're a great team.

But you seem to want to throw the towel in... hopefully Clarke doesn't match your pessimism or we're in for a long night.