Germany - Scotland

Old Bing

17 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think what you are saying is that our squad is pish and the manager can't work a sensible formation?

I agree.

This run of form FFS...

ONE laboured win against Gibraltar. Clarke needs his jotters if we fail against Switz and Hungary.

20240614_223756.jpg.c6dffb062533931f5678

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm just about old enough to recall Brown being given a hard time by the same outlets at the end of his tenure, for very similar reasons. 

I'm not going to judge whether that criticism was valid or not, but it suggests that's pretty standard practice. 

True tbf. And its exactly the same with national team managers Down South, possibly to an even greater extent. Can probably tie it all back to the gutter journalism culture in the UK.

I know it's total scraping the barrel, but when is a player who p***ks about on his penalty run up going to be penalised for stopping in his run up. When you see the replay, Havertz quite clearly plants his left foot to stop his run up.

1 minute ago, Crùbag said:

This run of form FFS...

ONE laboured win against Gibraltar. Clarke needs his jotters if we fail against Switz and Hungary.

20240614_223756.jpg.c6dffb062533931f5678

Bit of context needed here if we're being honest.  For the Spain game away, for example, we had the goal - unfairly in my opinion - disallowed and were by no means outclassed that night.  In some of the games though we showed some of the defensive, and to be brutally honest midfield, fragility we demonstrated tonight.  At times we rolled over and allowed out tummies to be tickled, and that should be more frustrating than anything

Stolen from the Guardian comments 'That was a superb Scottish performance, full of heart and cohesion. But then the anthems finished and the game began.'

What's it going to take now moving forward to fix this defence I wonder? Can't even really blame Personnel, look around other national teams and there's plenty worse defences that have been conceding less.

Gaps all over the place between everyone, wing backs in no mans land of not either being high up pressing or defensively compact, midfield getting taken out the game with every ball behind them and being too far from defence... so many fundamentals just not there.

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It can be argued that with competent goalkeeping we only lose that 2-0 

Can it?

Which of the 3 middle German goals (a phrase I'd rather not need to use) was the goalkeeper at fault for?

28 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Tonight, I would say Christie for one. He was wild-eyed and on the verge of tears. And Porteous, obviously.

It was the sternest possible test and there's no shame for less experiences players in wilting a bit. The rest of us would have adopted the foetal position and prayed for the sweet release of death.

Exactly, the players. 

2 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Stolen from the Guardian comments 'That was a superb Scottish performance, full of heart and cohesion. But then the anthems finished and the game began.'

Watching Scotland in major tournaments makes you proud for the 3 minutes before we make a c**t if it then you have to spend weeks contemplating the throbbers who constitute the support, the *** c***s on the TV and then you have to just hope England don’t win the fucker. 

it’s a shite state of affairs spud 

7 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Bit of context needed here if we're being honest.  For the Spain game away, for example, we had the goal - unfairly in my opinion - disallowed and were by no means outclassed that night.  In some of the games though we showed some of the defensive, and to be brutally honest midfield, fragility we demonstrated tonight.  At times we rolled over and allowed out tummies to be tickled, and that should be more frustrating than anything

To an extent. We matched, or even bossed, the Dutch for 70 minutes before the late collapse. From then on it was utter shoight. Clarke just making excuses.

Teams like Gibraltar can park the bus against us but we can't do it against the big boys.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Can it?

Which of the 3 middle German goals (a phrase I'd rather not need to use) was the goalkeeper at fault for?

None of them. it's even harsh to suggest he should save that last one, if he saves that shot people would be saying how great a save it was, but because he only got something on it people think he should of kept it out 🤦‍♂️

Edited by ScottishLoon

My take is that the German teams have done well in Europe this season, they are at home and on the up. It was always pretty unlikely that we were getting anything from this game. When Porto went off, a humping for ten man Scotland was not unexpected.

I see that Gunn is getting the blame which to me is a bit much. Is a scapegoat needed already? First goal he could have done better, second goal was down to the defence, third goal a penalty, fourth goal a peach in the top corner, fifth goal right in the bottom corner.

Edited by Scary Bear

1 minute ago, Crùbag said:

Teams like Gibraltar can park the bus against us but we can't do it against the big boys.

If you don't understand the difference there then you're beyond hope.

Germany have one of the greatest playmakers in footballing history in their midfield, and two generational talents out wide.

We have Tony Ralston, Ryan Porteous and Jack Hendry, trying to stop them.

Folk who are absolutely raging about this result need to take a deep breath and realise that sometimes you come up against a far better side, get it wrong, and get ridden raw, and that doesn't mean you just throw everything in the bin because its clearly not working.

Hickey, Gilmour, Dykes, we maybe see more of a fight but ultimately we just aren't good enough. The next two games need to be better and should be better, and if not then you start asking questions.

This is a German side who've beaten France twice in the past 12 months, and who scored 4 against Portugal in the last Euros, and folk are talking them down.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Yes.

This is shite, but I think folk haven't realised just how good Germany are. They have been exceptional.

I’m not sure about this. I’d say we made a few above average German players look like superstars . 

3 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

None of them. it's even harsh to suggest he should save that last one, if he saves that shot people would be saying how great a save it was, but because he only got something on it people think he should of kept it out 🤦‍♂️

I wonder if the suggestion is that his parry back out in front of him, led to the penalty and sending off.

I'd see that as a bit harsh though.

There were no goalkeeping howlers tonight, but he might have saved to 1st and 5th goals.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Can it?

The penalty. His inability to deal with the header and pushing it tamely back into his 6 yard box caused that whole situation.