Germany v Scotland

19 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Clarke has a cheek to talk about 'negative normans' then send out a team to just invite the opposition to shoot. Thrre was zero ambition in that team. You can take getting pumped if you have a go. If Craig Gordon was playing the score would have been halved.

Rubbish. The team was set up the same way as it was against Spain (twice) and Norway. It's just because the result didn't go as you wanted it to.

38 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Still pleased Gunn was the goalie not the two from the SPFL.

Still think Zander is the better keeper but I am biased. 

Why would you say SPFL? Would you say Gunn is an EFL keeper?

19 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Rubbish. The team was set up the same way as it was against Spain (twice) and Norway. It's just because the result didn't go as you wanted it to.

We got after Spain at the right times. As someone else has already pointed out our first goal came from Robertson pressuring Porro into a mistake on the edge of the box. We hardly left our own half last night.

Edited by Fratelli

22 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

We got after Spain. As someone else has already pointed out our first goal came from Robertson pressuring Porro into a mistake on the edge of the box. We hardly left our own half last night.

The basic game plan as a concept was fine: To defend deep and counter and not get caught playing football in our own third. That's the only point I'm trying to make here. We did that against Spain and Norway and it was okay.

The execution wasn't good in any respect. The press didn't function, We didn't counter well, We turned the ball over often and in bad areas and the ball didn't stick when we played over the top. On top of that we make a few errors which is normal with a team playing above their level and when we tried to break their press it was clunky.

It was execution and not the general game plan that let us down. If you want to put that on the manager, go right ahead. The game was over before it started. We didn't have time to pick moments to press etc. It was just a bad day at the office for everyone. No-one is happy with what played out.

Edited by 2426255

15 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Nagelsmann saw what Clarke was going to do a mile away and absolutely destroyed him.

Even then Clarke setting up team incorrectly is one thing but not being able to change it when it was obvious we were struggling is another.

Embarrassing. 

He did change it from 3421 to 352. On 31 minutes. I assume it was his instructions, maybe the players took it upon themselves.

McGinn moved to the left of midfield. McGregor played centrally and Christie joined Adams up front. It helped us to press Germany, but didn't help us in the other aspects of the game such as unforced errors, breaking their press or counter attacking.

We couldn't make it to half time before the game was dead and we would have had a chance to make more significant changes. Did you not see that when watching the game? 

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

He did change it from 3421 to 352. On 31 minutes. I assume it was his instructions, maybe the players took it upon themselves.

McGinn moved to the left of midfield. McGregor played centrally and Christie joined Adams up front. It helped us to press Germany, but didn't help us in the other aspects of the game such as unforced errors, breaking their press or counter attacking.

We couldn't make it to half time before the game was dead and we would have had a chance to make more significant changes. Did you not see that when watching the game? 

Aye the were really struggling dealing with that master stroke.

18 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Aye the were really struggling dealing with that master stroke.

It helped one of the issues we had. I was addressing the point raised that he did nothing. He did something and it had some effect. No matter what we did the German team was always going have a competitive advantage over us given the difference in quality of players. He was actually trying to sort something before the first goal, but I'm not sure what that was so I can't say anything beyond that.

You can see him at the bottom right of this GIF trying to get a message across to the players seconds before they scored. He wasn't just sitting there doing f**k all.

GERSCO.gif.06faf823e50f5c2789e331f890de6d3e.gif

Edited by 2426255

23 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Who actually notices this stuff? As I said earlier, I don't really get formationsr Tec but even I seen that we needed more in defence and midfield to frustrate them.

Which is easy to say, the main issue was they were miles better in every department.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Who actually notices this stuff? As I said earlier, I don't really get formationsr Tec but even I seen that we needed more in defence and midfield to frustrate them.

It's right in front of you, on your screen. It's there if you know what to look for. Lot's of people will watch a game and just follow the ball, but there's a lot going on during a game. Others just are only watching to be entertained and pay no attention to the detail. Harder to see on TV than when at the game.

Fortunately so few pay attention to these kind of things it's easy to correct them when they hit out with crap. It also makes it obvious who are the posters worth listening to when it comes to discussions around tactics or all that crap.

Edited by 2426255

I was worried before the game when I saw quotes like “there’s no pressure on us” from the Scotland camp. Yes we were underdogs but it just sounds defeatist. And we played accordingly. 

We better show significantly more battling qualities on Wednesday otherwise we’ll lose again by at least 2 goals. 

This is the point where we changed to a 352. You can see McGinn stop play as he changes position. You can see Christie push higher on McGinns instructions.

CopyofGERSCO(1).gif.0a1712f9ddd4925359524740d4464f1c.gif

It's not that Clarke wasn't making changes. Fans just don't see them.

7 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

This what I think as well, we play 3 centre halves because 2 isn't good enough. We don't have 1 good centre half. They are okay but not Champions League level.

I know, but it’s clearly not working and we are shipping countless goals. 
I’d possible go for McKenna and Hendry as a pair, surely it couldn’t get any worse than the recent horror displays.

Tierney as right back and Robertson on the left should give us a solid base.

7 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Prague under Levein not even in top ten for me - it was a relatively solid performance against a good side.

Only Amsterdam and “the night a team died” in Lisbon early 90s come close to the ineptitude and lack of guts on show last night.

EDIT - completely forgot about Kazakhstan!

it remains to be seen just how good the Germans are, but we made them look flawless and I suspect that will unravel for them.

I’m sure the Czechs were beaten 1-0 at home by Lithuania just prior to that, we decided (yet again) to approach the game in a submissive manner and let them off the hook.

18 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Others just are only watching to be entertained and pay no attention to the detail. Harder to see on TV than when at the game.

Fortunately so few pay attention to these kind of things it's easy to correct them when they hit out with crap. It also makes it obvious who are the posters worth listening to when it comes to discussions around tactics or all that crap.

Sorry this is the most deluded post on this thread.  Having picked the team, shape and tactics you are trying to defend Steve because he shouted something before they scored.  There are no words to explain how much you do not understand football, 

Just now, ekok said:

Sorry this is the most deluded post on this thread.  Having picked the team, shape and tactics you are trying to defend Steve because he shouted something before they scored.  There are no words to explain how much you do not understand football, 

off you go. it's nearly your bed time.

It all starts with youth development.

When Rangers were relegated down the leagues, the SPL had a chance to abolish the hated 11-1 voting system.

If that system was abolished then it would be easier to vote in the three foreigner rule and any major changes.

Thanks to Aberdeen with "being 2nd best team in Scotland" thing going to their head, they took the place of Rangers and sided with Celtic to shoot down any chance of their being meaningful chance at the top end of Scottish football. 

The SPL should be 18 teams and their should be a three foreigner rule. The sooner Scottish teams (particularly the Old Firm) are forced to play their kids, the better.

There's no point of having pperformance schools if the kids have no clear pathway to first team football.

The reason Wilson, Doak and Gilmour left the Old Firm is because they couldn't see a pathway. All they saw was the Old Firm spending millions on average foreigners.

You see teams like Ajax and Barcelona, etc, creating their own superstars (in Ajax's case selling them off for a fortune).

But nah, the Old Firm are better than that!

Edited by SlayerX

Just now, SlayerX said:

When Rangers were relegated down the leagues, the SPL had a chance to abolish the hated 11-1 voting system.

If that system was abolished then it would be easier to vote in the three foreigner rule and any major changes.

Thanks to Aberdeen with "being 2nd best team in Scotland" thing going to their head, they took the place of Rangers and sided with Celtic to shoot down any chance of their being meaningful chance at the top end of Scottish football. 

The SPL should be 18 teams and their should be a three foreigner rule. The sooner Scottish teams (particularly the Old Firm) are forced to play their kids, the better.

There's no point of having pperformance schools if the kids have no clear pathway to first team football.

The reason Wilson, Doak and Gilmour left the Old Firm is because they couldn't see a pathway. All they saw was the Old Firm spending millions on average foreigners.

Rangers weren’t relegated.