Line up to play Switzerland

Gunn

Hendry Hanley KT

McCrorie                        Robbo

Gilmour McGregor  

McTominay                  McGinn  

Shankland

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Germany started their build up phase with three mostly, Kroos, Tah and Rudiger, and sometimes a four. The Netherlands did the same back in March. We sometimes build up in a four even though we start with three centre backs. No reason to get hung up over the starting firmation boys.

CopyofGERSCO.gif.d892dc7c309934b91cefa588f39b732a.gif

Aye, I'm being a bit faceitious - other than moving Tierney, there's really nothing in what I've suggested that would necessarilly differ from how we normally play. It's still 5-4-1 out of possession, 4-3-3 in posession. 

Formations and positions are outmoded thinking in today's football. Players have a number of roles they're asked to perform depending on context. It's much more complicated than it used to be.

14 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Dropping McGann is pretty mad.

We only really play 3 at the back because of Tierney/Robertson. If you wanted Tierney at RB, just leave Cooper out and bolster that soft as shite looking midfield.

I don't think we should move Tierney, whether it's three or four at the back - I think we'd lose more in attack than we'd gain in defence, which some people might think worth doing, but I don't.

I don't actually think we need to change the approach at all, we just need the players to play better.

I can't see Tierney being preferred at right back. I'm not against the idea in principle, but at this late stage it would probably create more chaos to do that. It often (not always) takes time for players to build relationships with those around them. If you begin dropping players in different positions at the drop of a hat then you're going to see less rhythm and more miscommunication in our play. 

If he is considering that then you'd think he'd have tried it before now. It would worry me a little if we saw that tonight because it would suggest to me that the manager is winging it a little. It's not like when Robbo played out there away to Denmark. We had complications with injury and COVID. This time we have everyone fit.

Edited by 2426255

50 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Gunn

Hendry Hanley KT

Gilmour McGregor  

Shankland

Mcgregor cannot play in a midfield 2 at this level imo, probably none of scotlands sitting mids can, the opposition is far too strong in that part of the pitch

Scotland i think need 3 goalside mids for this level

I do think Gilmour should play tonight. It's a tough decision, but this may be a straight swap for McGregor. 

Clarke clearly loves McGregor but I just don't see how we can leave Gilmour out AND play with 4 'narrow' players in Midfield. Gilmour & McGregor behind McTominay and McGinn. We need some kind of wide option to give us a chance of getting something into the box. 

All that said... I wouldn't be surprised if we played the same team with Hanley or McKenna in for Porteous. 

8 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Mcgregor cannot play in a midfield 2 at this level imo, probably none of scotlands sitting mids can, the opposition is far too strong in that part of the pitch

Sure he can and we don't need three defensive midfielders. We just need to perform to a higher standard. Think back to England-Scotland, Scotland-Spain. We were fine with those pairings. Switzerland are at a similar level to Austria, Denmark or teams such as that and so I don't think it is an issue.

9 minutes ago, Piehutt said:

Clarke clearly loves McGregor but I just don't see how we can leave Gilmour out AND play with 4 'narrow' players in Midfield. Gilmour & McGregor behind McTominay and McGinn. We need some kind of wide option to give us a chance of getting something into the box. 

The answer is horses for courses mate. Scotland will have analysed Switzerland's strengths and weaknesses. They will have come up with a strategy based on the analysis. They will pick a team based on the strategy. Simple as that.

Forrest's defensive work rate was prodigious under Strachan. It was the big reason that KT at RB worked. It went largely unnoticed as he still came in for a lot of flak for not lighting up games like he did at Celtic. He was fantastic at tracking back and winning back possession.

I'd love to have Forrest at RWB, but I'm not sure he has the physical capability any more. 

1 hour ago, Alan Twelve said:

I don't think we should move Tierney, whether it's three or four at the back - I think we'd lose more in attack than we'd gain in defence, which some people might think worth doing, but I don't.

I don't actually think we need to change the approach at all, we just need the players to play better.

Well, quite.

Edited by ArabFC

3 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

How about a mad change to 3-4-3?

Gunn

Hendry - McKenna - Cooper*

Tierney - Gilmour - Christie - Robertson

McTominay - Adams - Armstrong

*Or whichever CBs you fancy really.

It will have the element of surprise at least.

I'm willing to try shitting in their muesli at this stage mate! 

I was practically suicidal on Friday night. Wanted nothing more to do with euros. Stupid game played by stupid people for the benefit of idiots willing to watch them. However. It’s game day and I can’t wait for kick off. We are going to right wrongs. We are going to announce ourselves as true world class. Can’t see a way that we don’t win the whole thing. Get intae these toblerone munching, fence sitting mountain botherers!

Also, isn’t beer just  brilliant.

2 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Gunn

Hendry Hanley KT

Gilmour McGregor  

Shankland

That’s the one. 

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Don't think that's fair. It's not really a two as well. It's more a 4. McGinn and McTominay don't play as natural wingers and are more wide midfielders. 

McGregor can definitely do it. The Swiss midfield isn't as good as the Germans. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

The answer is horses for courses mate. Scotland will have analysed Switzerland's strengths and weaknesses. They will have come up with a strategy based on the analysis. They will pick a team based on the strategy. Simple as that.

Mmmm…

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I can't see Tierney being preferred at right back. I'm not against the idea in principle, but at this late stage it would probably create more chaos to do that. It often (not always) takes time for players to build relationships with those around them. If you begin dropping players in different positions at the drop of a hat then you're going to see less rhythm and more miscommunication in our play. 

If he is considering that then you'd think he'd have tried it before now. It would worry me a little if we saw that tonight because it would suggest to me that the manager is winging it a little. It's not like when Robbo played out there away to Denmark. We had complications with injury and COVID. This time we have everyone fit.

Except our top two right full backs / right wings backs 

and Dykes and Ferguson 

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Sure he can and we don't need three defensive midfielders. We just need to perform to a higher standard. Think back to England-Scotland, Scotland-Spain. We were fine with those pairings. Switzerland are at a similar level to Austria, Denmark or teams such as that and so I don't think it is an issue.

Will our strategy have  taken into account the strategy they have come up with analysing our weaknesses 

( and strengths ).  ?

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Shankland shouldn’t be starting this game.  

I understand that sentiment but I’d qualify it.  I think he’s shown that he has the capacity to score goals but he cannot play as an isolated striker.

If Clarke is willing to gamble with a more attacking team and formation from the off and Shankland can get service then it might be the right call.  If Clarke expects him to be able to perform the role that Dykes plays then it’s a waste of time.