Will we qualify out the groups

Will we mange to qualify out of the groups after that horror opener against Germany.It looks unlikely based on last nights performance that we will be able to beat both Hungary and Switzerland so may be looking at 3 points and praying the goal difference doesn’t come back to haunt us in the 3th place table.

Well, we'll have to up the performances immediately, and possibly hope that at least one of the Magyars and Swiss are on to a shiter.

It's looking like the friendlies against top-class sides were maybe a bad idea. Putting in some good performances and still getting reamed has possibly affected confidence, and now the good performances have gone too. I don't think you can necessarily blame Steve Clarke for thinking it was a good idea to test the team against higher quality opponents, but I doubt it's had the effect he'd hoped for.

It's entirely possibly to turn these things around at tournaments - look at Costa Rica at the last World Cup. Sacrificed on the altar 7-0 against Spain, somehow managing a 1-0 win against a Japanese team who otherwise played very well at the tournament, then came within about 20 mins of beating Germany and finishing top of the fucking group. Mental stuff.

Last night was very poor all round from us, but I'd imagine the team will be furious about allowing themselves to be embarrassed like that. We'll see how that manifests itself.

Edit: I don't think we want a Swiss win today. Ze Germans will be looking to get their progression sealed against Hungary and rest a few players against Switzerland, so they've got the best chance of taking something from them (or not getting a hiding, at least). As laughable as it might seem, we still need to be assuming that second place is up for grabs instead of worrying about slithering through in third.

Edited by BFTD

No, I didn't think we had much of a chance if winning any of the games in the first place but no hope now.  Confidence will be decimated and everyone has just seen how to get at us.  Probably another two 3 goal defeats.  

The short answer is no.  Lose to Switzerland on Wednesday and we will be the first team eliminated from the competition - no one is getting through with 3 points and our goal difference. 

However, the ball is round and stranger things have happened. If our team completely transforms itself over the coming days then we will have a chance. 

Most opening games are tight & cagey affairs and I honestly thought it would be at worst a 2-0 defeat. The performance and result was a disgrace against a decent but not brilliant German team. It was a bit like watching Celtic in the Champions League - totally out of their depth and not belonging in the competition. 

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

The short answer is no.  Lose to Switzerland on Wednesday and we will be the first team eliminated from the competition - no one is getting through with 3 points and our goal difference. 

However, the ball is round and stranger things have happened. If our team completely transforms itself over the coming days then we will have a chance. 

Not a chance in hell Scotland will beat the Swiss who are a very decent side. The Swiss could easily win the group. Only chance of points is against Hungary who will probably be on 0 points as well when they play Scotland.

The next game is must not lose. Obviously fan expectations have plummeted after last night. The picture looks bleak the day after, but it hasn't changed horrifically. We now need 4 points instead of 3 purely due to goal difference. We have played the hardest team, but didn't get what we wanted.

The main goal in the Switzerland game for me is simply to be to take it to the last game. Honestly, I'd be tempted to take a draw right now if you offered me it, but hopefully the Scotland team have their head in the game more than a lot of the fans/media. If we can beat Switzerland then the picture changes massively going into the final game. A draw kicks the can down the road. 

Edited by 2426255

I don't know.

I expect us to go back to our usual system of 3-4-2-1 for the remaining two group games.

If we get into them, play our usual high tempo and pressing football and start Gilmour, then maybe.

39 minutes ago, Pilgrim Ranger said:

Most opening games are tight & cagey affairs and I honestly thought it would be at worst a 2-0 defeat. The performance and result was a disgrace against a decent but not brilliant German team. It was a bit like watching Celtic in the Champions League - totally out of their depth and not belonging in the competition. 

Unsure why you don't seem to rate Germany any better than 'decent'.

It feels pretty unlikely now.

Apart from the obvious damage to morale, the difference after last night is that the chance of getting through with 3 points has pretty much been snuffed out. 

We'll almost definitely need at least 4 now, which heightens the stakes in the Swiss game.  

It goes without saying that we will need to be so much better than last night in both games, in order to get anything from them at all.  I'll admit that I'm struggling to see us beating anyone.  It's obviously possible though.

I think the Switzerland result helps us. If we can get a draw by hook or by crook then I think we have it in us to beat Hungary especially if they're already out of the tournament.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Edit: I don't think we want a Swiss win today. Ze Germans will be looking to get their progression sealed against Hungary and rest a few players against Switzerland, so they've got the best chance of taking something from them (or not getting a hiding, at least). As laughable as it might seem, we still need to be assuming that second place is up for grabs instead of worrying about slithering through in third.

Flip side is that Hungary might effectively be toast by the time we play them. If we somehow wangle a draw against Switzerland we'd know a win against Hungary would likely be enough, and if they know they need to win and improve their goal difference they'll be desperate and open.

Definite whiff of 1998 though - we get the point in the second game, believe we can win the third game and qualify, and then get humped.

With a - 6 GD against the Swiss I can't see a draw doing anything for us. Unless Germany scone them in a possible dead-rubber final game there is no way this team is turning around that goal difference. Win or bust already. 

2 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

With a - 6 GD against the Swiss I can't see a draw doing anything for us. Unless Germany scone them in a possible dead-rubber final game there is no way this team is turning around that goal difference. Win or bust already. 

Win or bust? we have 2 games left. We can draw with Switzerland if we beat Hungary and qualify in 3rd place as a best runner up hopefully. No? 

Edited by 2426255

5 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Win or bust? we have 2 games left. We can draw with Switzerland if we beat Hungary and qualify in 3rd place as a best runner up hopefully. No? 

I am looking at qualifying 2nd not the wing and a prayer 3rd stuff