Will we qualify out the groups

10 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Betfair now have us at 2.6/1 to qualify.

Not bad odds considering where we were late Friday night.

2.6 in decimal odds formal which is 1.6/1 or 8/5, about a 1-in-3 shot when you allow for the over round.

They have our odds of winning on Sunday very close to our odds of qualifying so it seems as though they don’t think there’s much risk of us going out on goal difference at 4 points if we do win.

2 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

2.6 in decimal odds formal which is 1.6/1 or 8/5, about a 1-in-3 shot when you allow for the over round.

They have our odds of winning on Sunday very close to our odds of qualifying so it seems as though they don’t think there’s much risk of us going out on goal difference at 4 points if we do win.

Be interesting to see how the next few days worth of matches impacts.

3 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Be interesting to see how the next few days worth of matches impacts.

Got to admit, I've missed this format a bit.

People used to hate it, as it has inherent unfairness on the teams in the earlier groups, but the drama in the last round of matches was superb.

I think that it Group B is one of the groups without a 3rd place qualifier then A3 would play against F1. A2 plays B2. 

So come 3rd we get Turkey/Portugal , 2nd we get Spain/Italy? We need to avoid winning by too many goals Sunday night....

9 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Gabby Logan said that no third place team has failed to qualify with 4 points before.

Challenge accepted.

Yeah, this... We were the first team to go home from a World Cup unbeaten with a win and two draws in 1974 and went out on GD by 1 goal.  We also went out by a single goal in WC 78 and Euro 96, and 2 goals in WC82, each time with 4 points (yes I know the system is more generous in these Euros). One goal against Uruguay would have got us through in 86. We weren't even miles off it at the last Euros when we were 1-1 with Croatia in the final match.  I'm not sure if any other country has had so many close failures to get out of the groups.

TL/DR - we have plenty of historic form for going home by a very narrow margin.

Are we going through......I believe we have a chance, but we've got to see the same level of team performance as last night. Sure, a couple of players weren't firing on all cylinders and Ralston looked out of his depth, but if we can come with that type of energy and fight, then we have a chance and that's what we want.

The lack of goal scorer still worries me, I'm in the Shankland camp but I totally get why others aren't, but ultimately, we don't really have a front runner who will guarantee us a goal every few games..... but I'm not sure we have ever had that in my time following the national team.

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I think we’ll either go through or we’ll go out. 

Also, the state of play will remain unknown by me until I finish work, so Scotland will be both through and simultaneously out until I view P&B.

Schrodinger's Scotland.

49 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

I hope we learn from the last euros when we were definitely going through by beating a tiring, over the hill Croatia.

No givens in football  and Hungary could easily thrash us.

I mean...who do you hope learns what exactly? I don't really recall Scotland coming out in that Croatia game like a swashbuckling team set on a routine victory only to be caught out defensively. As I recall, Croatia were pretty much on top.

25 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I mean...who do you hope learns what exactly? I don't really recall Scotland coming out in that Croatia game like a swashbuckling team set on a routine victory only to be caught out defensively. As I recall, Croatia were pretty much on top.

The fans don't go into the game thinking its ours to lose. We will be right up against it v Hungary similar to how we were last night.

3 hours ago, immcinto said:

I think that it Group B is one of the groups without a 3rd place qualifier then A3 would play against F1. A2 plays B2. 

So come 3rd we get Turkey/Portugal , 2nd we get Spain/Italy? We need to avoid winning by too many goals Sunday night....

Bless you for thinking this might be a problem.

Couldn't care less if we get France in the second round and only have ten fit players. Just being in the second round would be huge, and might help break any mental block about progressing at tournaments.

I know someone's going to say, "aye, then we'll just have a mental block about not getting past the second round", but let's worry about that when we've been eliminated at that stage eleven times!  :P

1 hour ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

The fans don't go into the game thinking its ours to lose. We will be right up against it v Hungary similar to how we were last night.

Tbh the only people I've spoken to about it are mentioning the similarity with Morocco in 1998.

And anyway, the bullshit opinions of Boaby Tennentscan will have absolutely zero impact on matters whatsoever. 

50 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Couldn't care less if we get France in the second round and only have ten fit players. Just being in the second round would be huge, and might help break any mental block about progressing at tournaments.

I know someone's going to say, "aye, then we'll just have a mental block about not getting past the second round", but let's worry about that when we've been eliminated at that stage eleven times!  :P

Whos going to say that if we go out in the 2nd round for the 1st time ever 🤣

Anyway even if we did, better to have that than the 1st round block.

Or the players might think, know what let's just win the whole thing.

10 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Whos going to say that if we go out in the 2nd round for the 1st time ever 🤣

Anyway even if we did, better to have that than the 1st round block.

Or the players might think, know what let's just win the whole thing.

Miserable arseholes.

Beat Hungary on Sunday, be heading through until a last minute, fluke goal from the Georgian or Albanians puts us out. It is the way of things, the way of the Scots.

A narrow win on Sunday will see us through as the 4th best third placed team. Having scraped through, the weight of history will come off the team's shoulders and a more relaxed team will motor to the title a la Portugal in 2016.

Edited by microdave

Myself and yon @Skyline Drifter have been scatting on another thread about how there potentially five chances for us to qualify on two points.

1 minute ago, PeterRulesOK said:

Being in the 2nd round of the easiest tournament to qualify from isn't going to do any good when the manager and it seems too many of the fans all think that'd be any kind of achievement.

Qualifying for Euro 1992 was bigger than getting out of the groups in this version.

Getting past the first round of a tournament at the twelfth attempt is an achievement as it breaks a mental barrier. You only have to look at how many people assume we're going to f**k this up "because this is what we do" to see that's bound to be a factor.

Qualifying for Euro 92 was a bigger achievement, but our ongoing problem is failure when actually at a tournament, much like England are terrified whenever the clock ticks down to 120 mins during a knockout match.