Hungary v Switzerland (time to forget perhaps?)

Sonam

8 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

What type of result do we need for this? 

If we assume Germany will beat everyone, a draw gives us the most flexibility going forward. It means 4 points would definitely be enough to finish 2nd, and we can get them any which way. 

If there’s a winner today, then realistically we’d need to beat them and draw with the loser. Otherwise we’d need to turn the goal difference around.

18 minutes ago, The Master said:

If we assume Germany will beat everyone, a draw gives us the most flexibility going forward. It means 4 points would definitely be enough to finish 2nd, and we can get them any which way. 

If there’s a winner today, then realistically we’d need to beat them and draw with the loser. Otherwise we’d need to turn the goal difference around.

So ideally a draw would give us the best chance of getting out the group you would think

45 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

So ideally a draw would give us the best chance of getting out the group you would think

In terms of finishing 2nd, it keeps options open.

Although no matter what, us getting 4 points would definitely be enough for third, and would have us in a strong position as one of the four best, even with a terrible GD. But it would be a long and nervous wait for the rest of the groups to finish. 

Edited by The Master

Just now, The Master said:

In terms of finishing 2nd, it keeps options open.

Although 4 points would definitely be enough for third, and would have us in a strong position as one if the four best, even with a terrible GD. But it would be a long and nervous wait for the rest of the groups to finish. 

I'm sure Scotland will fathom out a new and cruel way for us not to qualify, should one exist...............

I think a draw or a Hungary win best. At least we have some control over what Hungary do last match, whereas Switzerland could easily beat Germany's reserves and f**k us over so better they don't get three points to start with.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

I'm sure Scotland will fathom out a new and cruel way for us not to qualify, should one exist...............

Getting to 4 points, then missing out on a best third place spot by one goal. 

Going on past tournaments with this format, four points will be enough to qualify, unless everyone gets a win, draw, and defeat. Can't see Ze Germans finishing on four points if they keep playing like that.

There are always a couple of groups where the third place side only has two or three points.

Edit: shout out to Norway in 1994, who were so convinced that four points would be enough to go through that they spent 80 minutes of their final match against Ireland playing for 0-0, only to realise they were going out right at the end  :lol:

Edited by BFTD

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think a draw or a Hungary win best. At least we have some control over what Hungary do last match, whereas Switzerland could easily beat Germany's reserves and f**k us over so better they don't get three points to start with.

A Swiss win it is, then...

(I think it will be a draw, as they will both fancy beating us.)

Edited by Jacksgranda

28 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Good point!