Line up to play Hungary

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Germany started their build up phase with three mostly, Kroos, Tah and Rudiger, and sometimes a four even though they had a back-4 on paper. The Netherlands did the same back in March. Unfortunately Scotland can't do things like that because we mustn't play square pegs in round holes, we have to play players in their 'natural' position and don't want to overthink things.  

CopyofGERSCO.gif.d892dc7c309934b91cefa588f39b732a.gif

Gk's/Defenders for teams like Germany, Netherlands etc are so much more technically gifted on the ball and don't tend to panic as much compared to us, even when they have to launch it forward they are fairly accurate passes. That's why I think KMc would be decent in there if we are sticking with the 3 CB's and can do a good job at man marking 

11 hours ago, Coooombe said:

Hungary are going to need to win this by a few goals to have any chance of qualifying. I say keep it tight and controlled until around 60 minutes and then they'll start getting desperate, probably make a few attacking subs, and chuck players forward. Then we pick them off. Score 1 and they'll lose the head. 

I can genuinely see this is how the game will pan out also, Clarke will want to keep it tight as possible in the first half hoping to sneak a goal off a corner or something then go out to try win the game in the last 20 mins if the game is tied. My fear is that we will end up playing within ourselves for too long and not give us enough time to get the goals we need to win 

If nothing else, trip to Germany has at least let me see Scotrail and the Scottish road system in a much better light. A million times better than Germany, where every train runs late and every road is either shut or full of roadworks. 

I assumed the stereotype about German efficiency was true, rather than sarcasm...

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

Gk's/Defenders for teams like Germany, Netherlands etc are so much more technically gifted on the ball and don't tend to panic as much compared to us, even when they have to launch it forward they are fairly accurate passes. That's why I think KMc would be decent in there if we are sticking with the 3 CB's and can do a good job at man marking 

McClean played centre half for Norwich a good few times last season and seemed to do alright. It is not a bad shout but no way is Clarke testing it in this game. We do need to freshen up the team where possible for a couple of reasons, too many are off form and for fresh energy.

I'd go with 4-2-3-1

Gunn

McRorie Hanley McKenna Robertson

Gilmour McGregor

Christie McTominay McGinn

Shankland

Would be interesting to see Morgan or Conway but Clarke just isn't that risky to try something like that. My concern is the lateness and lack of creativity of changes the other night makes me think Clarke won't try anything new personnel wise.

Edited by ahemps

On 20/06/2024 at 13:07, gannonball said:

I genuinely don't get the shouts for Forrest at RWB. He wasnt exactly renowned for tracking back as a winger or to have a bit of dig about him. He couldn't press a few years ago to get near the Celtic team under Ange and isn't strong either, he also isn't as fit as he once was. As pish as Ralston may be I'm struggling to see any reason as to why Forrest can fill in as a RWB unless we are chasing a game late on but dont want to change formation.

He’s also been utter shite in every one except 2 of his caps in his preferred position!

The Venn diagram of people clambering for James Forrest or Ross McCrorie to play right wing-back and the people that have never seen James Forrest or Ross McCrorie play right wing-back is the most perfect circle the world has ever seen.

It's far from ideal, but Ralston isn't just the best option we've got in the position, he's the only one.

2 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

The Venn diagram of people clambering for James Forrest or Ross McCrorie to play right wing-back and the people that have never seen James Forrest or Ross McCrorie play right wing-back is the most perfect circle the world has ever seen.

It's far from ideal, but Ralston isn't just the best option we've got in the position, he's the only one.

Hard agree.

Forrest RWB is something that should be retained for the last 15 minutes if we need to chase. Having said that, the back three has never worked well without Tierney imo. I’d be going 4-2-3-1 and Starting Christie on the right wing with a mandate to track back and help out Ralston. 

13 minutes ago, ahemps said:

McKenna played centre half for Norwich a good few times last season and seemed to do alright. It is not a bad shout but no way is Clarke testing it in this game. We do need to freshen up the team where possible for a couple of reasons, too many are off form and for fresh energy.

It's not a bad shout. It's a horrific shout. Aside from the fact it's McLean not McKenna.

Must win game to take us to the knockout stages of tournament fitba, where we've never been before, and advocating a fringe player playing in a position he's never played for us in before? Mental.

Midfielders are allowed to drop deep to get the ball - they don't have to be shoehorned into defence to do it.

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

I can genuinely see this is how the game will pan out also, Clarke will want to keep it tight as possible in the first half hoping to sneak a goal off a corner or something then go out to try win the game in the last 20 mins if the game is tied. My fear is that we will end up playing within ourselves for too long and not give us enough time to get the goals we need to win 

Aye,  there's no way we are 'going for it'

4 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

It's not a bad shout. It's a horrific shout. Aside from the fact it's McLean not McKenna.

Must win game to take us to the knockout stages of tournament fitba, where we've never been before, and advocating a fringe player playing in a position he's never played for us in before? Mental.

Midfielders are allowed to drop deep to get the ball - they don't have to be shoehorned into defence to do it.

I wasn't advocating it at all. I was replying to another poster who suggested it and I was only mentioning that he has played there before.

You take what you want from it to get yourself raging though.

3 minutes ago, Binos said:

Aye,  there's no way we are 'going for it'

Nor should we, if you're advocating for all-out attack.

Play like we did against Switzerland. Press and compete. Hungary are the ones who need the goals and will open themselves up.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Play like we did against Switzerland. Press and compete. Hungary are the ones who need the goals and will open themselves up.

Any kind of attack or attempt to monopolies possession,  more like had in mind 

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I was talking about if we are planning to stick with 3 CB's so maybe read the post back before you start foaming out the mouth. McClean is very much trusted by Clarke also, always comes on as a sub to help close out games etc and has already played defensively for us against Georgia away. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been tried out there in training. 

What's the point in playing McKenna in a back 5 in a must win game, it's just another CB that cant progress the ball forwards or bomb down the wing in attack therefore limiting our attacks. Far too defensive. 

Edited by Butters Scotch

1 hour ago, PeterRulesOK said:

He's the only one because the dud of a manager took him and not any of the better options.  Souttar or Kingsley instead of him and we're at least 3 goals better off.

Would you have had Ann Budge in the squad?

21 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Adams - unless Clarke is thinking of radically changing his strategy (spoiler alert: he’s not) then Adams is a better option to start than Shankland.

Clarke's not a risk-taker and it would be risky but I liked the energy Conway displayed when he came on against Finland, and I would be tempted to give him a significant part in this last group match.

My feeling is that given the Wednesday night slog, given that Tierney's tournament is over, given that we rode our luck a bit against Switzerland, given that we need to win, and given that we all have a sneaky suspicion how this is going to play out if he goes again with the same line-up (apart from the enforced change) and formation,  then we might go and try and win the game early rather than hold on and desperately try to win it late.

However, it's likely that we'll be throwing the kitchen sink at it from round 80 minutes when conceding a goal in the 75th minute and we'll either hit a late equaliser ( à la Joe Jordan against Yugoslavia in 74) but crash out like 'bravehearts' or get hit on the counter and lose 0-2 or 0-3 ( à la Morocco in 98).

In fact, this tournament has worrying similarities to France 98 for Scotland. Opening game participation, 1-1 draw in the middle game, so perhaps set up for a resounding Hungarian win as Clarke tries to wring out the last drops of life from his tried and trusted 13 or 14 players...

Let's utilise the squad this time by introducing fresh legs in the starting line-up and use the option of substitutions that's available when they still have time to make an impact.

I worry that Clarke's stubbornness and conservatism will be our final group game downfall though.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I think we need goals (plural) too because we must win and I can't see us keeping the Hungarians to 0.

If we play like we did against Switzerland then I think we're going home.

I doubt anyone is advocating all-out attack but we must keep the Hungarians busy and concerned at the back even if we do go ahead in the match.

Edited by Bogbrush1903