Scotland's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Scotland's next permanent manager?  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 24/06/2024 at 13:31, Bing.McCrosby said:

We don't decide the budget, or have access to that information as we're not the sfa. We're fans discussing potential candidates.

I know that the SFA paid Southampton £400k for George Burley.

If they hadn't, he was getting sacked within a couple of months.

The Southampton board couldn't believe their luck.

49 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

It’s insane, and yet entirely predictable.

If the recruitment process was outsourced to a neutral European organisation, Moyes is the only Scot that would get remotely near an interview.

I’m always staggered at the short-sighted and small-world view that is so prevalent in Scottish football. A shortlist is proposed of *checks notes* a list of managers with either zero international experience, or consistent and total failure to make a mark in any European competition.

Yes - let’s pick them.

The worst part is you absolutely know that the SFA list would be:

1) Moyes 

2) McInnes

Another good season for Docherty, and he’ll be in at number three. 

Frank de Boer is available. His managerial record is a bit of a curates egg though I guess. 4 Eredivise titles with Ajax, but not much since then. Brief spell in charge of the Netherlands, where they won all their group games at Euro 2020, but lost to the Czechs in the last 16, and that was the end of that. No language barrier problems though, and he even spent 6 months playing here. Would he fancy it?

The 'Moyes could get Englishmen with Scottish grannies to declare for us' argument isn't the worst I've ever heard.  He's a solid, solid Barclaysman who is well known down there and I would imagine respected by a lot of players. Whereas Clarke has always been an assistant and McInnes played for West Brom for 5 minutes about 30 years ago, they definitely wouldn't have the same pull as Moyes.

With that said, we need to go down the foreign 'made a shite nation better than the sum of their parts route' IMO.  

21 hours ago, Willie adie said:

Anyone that thinks that McInnes  is a better option  well gtf.

That sleekit bstrd is one of the worst for having  favourites look at the players he constantly  re signs,

The young players will get  no look in with him.

Thankfully the McInnes chat will be shut down when Kilmarnock get absolutely embarrassed by Cercle Brugge in the Europa League. 

20 hours ago, TheScarf said:

With that said, we need to go down the foreign 'made a shite nation better than the sum of their parts route' IMO.  

We need to pay a higher salary for our coach. We can't sign foreign players but we are allowed to sign foreign coaches. For a nation with 5M pop It would be insanity to not take advantage of this loophole to get someone at a high level. 

Set a budget of £1M+ . That puts us  in the range of a serious candidate (higher end English Championship, midtable Bundesliga/Serie A). The only Scottish managers at that level are Moyes and Russell Martin. I doubt Martin would take it at this point and Moyes will would likely be out of range. 

2 hours ago, immcinto said:

We need to pay a higher salary for our coach. We can't sign foreign players but we are allowed to sign foreign coaches. For a nation with 5M pop It would be insanity to not take advantage of this loophole to get someone at a high level. 

Ireland went down that route and then away from it. Look where they are now. 

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The last twice they’ve qualified for major tournaments was with an Italian manager and one from the UK. The record is demonstrably poorer when they hiring a coach from the Republic of Ireland.

16 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Yep - look where they are now. They should have stuck with the foreign manager policy. 

Also, Ireland went down the "hire a fancy name fans have heard of" route.  No need to do that, just hire a coach at a higher level. If there is a Scottish one at that level then fine. There isn't a viable Scottish option at that level though. 

18 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

The last twice they’ve qualified for major tournaments was with an Italian manager and one from the UK. The record is demonstrably poorer when they hiring a coach from the Republic of Ireland.

That's a very black and white way of looking at it. Scotland's record is poorer with foreign managers than domestic, but I'm not making that point. A lot of things come into it other than Nationality.

5 minutes ago, immcinto said:

Yep - look where they are now. They should have stuck with the foreign manager policy. 

Also, Ireland went down the "hire a fancy name fans have heard of" route.  No need to do that, just hire a coach at a higher level. If there is a Scottish one at that level then fine. There isn't a viable Scottish option at that level though. 

As I've said above I assume you're not looking for a foreign manager particularly, just the best manager available who at this point is more likely not to be Scottish.

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

As I've said above I assume you're not looking for a foreign manager particularly, just the best manager available who at this point is more likely not to be Scottish.

Yes that's my point. 

However the big problem with going foreign is that SFA will be baised towards picking someone with name recognition, however irrelevant, to compensate. One of the reasons Vogts was chosen was due to his fame as a player.