Scotland's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Scotland's next permanent manager?  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’d take anyone who hasn’t had the  mentality bred in to them that makes them say - were to wee a population- we don’t have the players - we must be hard to beat - we don’t want to get embarrassed , so that means a foreigner . I often wonder how we’d have got on had we given vogts the 5 years he asked for ? We sacked him coming up to the 3 year point when he’d capped any and everyone and made his mistakes , Smith came in steadied the ship but didn’t have to make the mistakes Vogt’s made for him , Smith made us respectable and competitive again but still never went for it ie Ukraine away a pumping . Mcleish next , he was in my opinion just lucky and continued smiths team which was in my opinion Vogt’s unfinished team , just a thought 😊

33 minutes ago, the chimp said:

I’d take anyone who hasn’t had the  mentality bred in to them that makes them say - were to wee a population- we don’t have the players - we must be hard to beat - we don’t want to get embarrassed , so that means a foreigner . I often wonder how we’d have got on had we given vogts the 5 years he asked for ? We sacked him coming up to the 3 year point when he’d capped any and everyone and made his mistakes , Smith came in steadied the ship but didn’t have to make the mistakes Vogt’s made for him , Smith made us respectable and competitive again but still never went for it ie Ukraine away a pumping . Mcleish next , he was in my opinion just lucky and continued smiths team which was in my opinion Vogt’s unfinished team , just a thought 😊

Berti Vogts was an absolute charlatan.   We'd have continued dropping like a stone if he'd stayed

Vogts was awful. We don’t need to do revisionist history on his tenure just because some of his successors (Burley in particular) were just as bad.

The correct answer on Vogts lies somewhere in between the weirdly prevalent opinion among some Scotland fans (that he was somehow “not that bad”) and the SFA view which has been so spooked by his tenure that they still refuse to consider Johnny Foreigner 20 years on.

Players are more important than a manager.

If Steve Clarke were in charge of Germany in Euro 96, they still would've won.

Why? They had the best team.

I knew a German back in the day who scoffed when we appointed Berti, as in his words "Vogts was in the right place at the right time during Euro 96".

It's about time we focused on developing superstars. If we do, it won't really matter who's in charge.

Till we can produce a higher standard of player, the sooner we'll be able to compete .

At the moment we're expecting a manager to turn coal into diamonds.

Totes a brilliant tactic.

Hasn't worked so far, but let's keep doing it.

Bah! Which countries succeed with developing superstars. Let's keep producing the likes of Shankland, Ralston, etc. Spain, Portugal, etc, don't know what they're missing.

Multi-million pound players? Pft! Who needs it! That's pretentiousness Is what it is.

All we need is a world class manager. Worked so well In '86.

Oh. Anyone remember when Everton went on to dominant the EPL and European football when they appointed Carlo Ancelotti?

Yeah. Me, neither. It's almost as if appointed a world class manager won't make average players play like prime Brazil.

Who da thunk it.

Edited by Chripper

What a load of nonsense, a team of superstars will win regardless of what manager they have?

The Man city team springs to mind here, a team full of great players ( great now anyway due to Peps coaching abilities) but with Pep, they have become so difficult to overcome, no other team can come close to winning the Premier league.

Anyone remember the galacticos at Real Madrid, surely they would of scooped up the CL and LA Liga each season since they had the world best players in each position?

On 28/06/2024 at 17:32, Chripper said:

I knew a German back in the day who scoffed when we appointed Berti, as in his words "Vogts was in the right place at the right time during Euro 96".

It's about time we focused on developing superstars. If we do, it won't really matter who's in charge.

Till we can produce a higher standard of player, the sooner we'll be able to compete .

Bah! Which countries succeed with developing superstars. Let's keep producing the likes of Shankland, Ralston, etc. Spain, Portugal, etc, don't know what they're missing.

Multi-million pound players? Pft! Who needs it! That's pretentiousness Is what it is.

Oh. Anyone remember when Everton went on to dominant the EPL and European football when they appointed Carlo Ancelotti?

Yeah. Me, neither. It's almost as if appointed a world class manager won't make average players play like prime Brazil.

Who da thunk it.

Delete this nonsense. 

On 29/06/2024 at 01:32, Chripper said:

Who da thunk it.

Aye mate, that’s why this England side are bodying teams left, right and centre with about 5 world class attackers.

Utter nonsense.

On 29/06/2024 at 01:32, Chripper said:

We have plenty of multi million pound players. Even Stuart Armstrong is on £50k a week. There are only three Slovakian players on that kind of money. 

Problem is, playing negative, risk-free football works for a while and gets you results, but if that is all you ever play it eventually corrodes the soul of your players. Remember, they started playing football for fun, because they enjoyed it. Turn it into a dull repetitive task and eventually your squad regresses. Look at England, they don't even look like they have basic skills these days. They are not enjoying it.

4 minutes ago, immcinto said:

.Even Stuart Armstrong is on £50k a week.

This is more a damning indictment of how stupid the money in the English game is than it is an endorsement of Armstrong's abilities. 

How many of the other "wee" nations that trotted out at this Euros would Armstrong get regular game time for? Bear in mind we finished as the worst ranked team of the lot and he barely got on the field for us. I don't think domestic earnings can really be used as an outright indicator of ability because there is a fair bit more to it than simple better player = higher wages. 

Armstrong counts as a UK player for English teams, he speaks English, and is evidently a comfortable fit for an English club. I doubt you'd find many Bundesliga, Serie A, or Liga teams looking to poach him and pay him 50k a week though.

18 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

This is more a damning indictment of how stupid the money in the English game is than it is an endorsement of Armstrong's abilities. 

How many of the other "wee" nations that trotted out at this Euros would Armstrong get regular game time for? Bear in mind we finished as the worst ranked team of the lot and he barely got on the field for us. I don't think domestic earnings can really be used as an outright indicator of ability because there is a fair bit more to it than simple better player = higher wages. 

Armstrong counts as a UK player for English teams, he speaks English, and is evidently a comfortable fit for an English club. I doubt you'd find many Bundesliga, Serie A, or Liga teams looking to poach him and pay him 50k a week though.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/stuart-armstrong-fiorentina-fulham-transfer-32940616

Fiorentina were interested. I get your point about salaries not necessarily equating to ability, but there must be some relationship. 

I know we were the worst ranked team. This thread is about why that is the case. 

Vogts inherited a creaking Scotland squad, and his reputation for handing out caps like sweeties was partially driven by necessity.  A look at his managerial career post Scotland, though, should put paid to any idea that he was the one that got away.  In 2007 he took Nigeria to their worst AFCON performance since 1982 (out in the QF), did reasonably well with Azerbaijan at first, then got sacked, partially due to a failure to beat diddy teams they should have been beating (sound familiar?).  Then a couple of years as a technical coach at the USA until Klinsmann got punted.  He's not been hired by the teams that are at our level now, or the next step up, where we want to be.  Nothing he's done since leaving Scotland would make you think, "Ach, we should have held on to that guy, we'd have had a truly mighty Mannschaft by 2008 or so."

What credentials should the New Saviour have?

1) Someone with experience of international tournaments and CL

2) Someone with a track record of doing reasonably well with limited playing talent

3) A deep tactical thinker (and someone who can string a coherent sentence together)

4) Someone with a connection to Scotland, even a tenuous one

5) Someone who doesn’t talk shite after losing a match

6) Someone doing ok with his present club, but a club known for firing tons of managers, freeing him up should Safety Steve jack it in after the NL qualies.

Who might that be, then?

On 28/06/2024 at 22:28, the chimp said:

With Vogts still in charge we would not have had Davie Weir playing which , I dislike saying , would not have been beneficial to us

2 hours ago, nate said:

What credentials should the New Saviour have?

4) Someone with a connection to Scotland, even a tenuous one

4) Someone with no connection to Scottish football, even a tenuous one

Fixed that one for you

Unless Steve Clarke walks out of his contract, we should mothball this thread and bump it in July 2026.

I can't see Clarke leaving, nor can I see the SFA sacking him.

Let's face it, the only (alleged) Scotland fans who can conceivably want Steve Clarke gone are the ones who want to return to the two decades of unsuccessful qualifications, so they have justification for being miserably gits.

I have no time for the aforementioned people.

Vogts  was hamstrung by following  on from Brown, who had been too loyal to certain  players and probably  should  have started reconstruction of the national  team before he stepped down.

Vogts just went crazy capping  anyone he probably  went too far down the opposite  route