What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

7 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

Maybe the 2 cap limit is a sensible way to get all of the never do wells to keep their pants up and their legs shut?  Child Poverty rates in Scotland primarily down to the fact that poor people continue to have large families.    The mentality of these people needs to change and when it does the problem of child poverty will significantly reduce.

Take a wander around any town centre and you will see people who clearly don't have a lot pushing prams around.

What? By having kids die of malnutrition?   That sounds like the sort of vote winning line you should take to your local Tory/UKIP candidate.

9 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

Maybe the 2 cap limit is a sensible way to get all of the never do wells to keep their pants up and their legs shut?  Child Poverty rates in Scotland primarily down to the fact that poor people continue to have large families.    The mentality of these people needs to change and when it does the problem of child poverty will significantly reduce.

Take a wander around any town centre and you will see people who clearly don't have a lot pushing prams around.

“Poor people continue to have large families”

why not make them less poor or have fewer poor people?

I suspect this is a trolling expedition and you don’t believe the evil shit you’re spouting, which would be bad but not irredeemable.

If you do believe the shite you’re spouting then you are an irredeemable C[redacted due to rules on personal abuse]

39 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Much of that was down to the Murdoch/Dacre media painting Corbyn as some sort of enemy of the state/terrorist pal  which of course was bullshit like most of the criticism of Corbyn.

I'm not going to apologise for liking Corbyn's policies, they were good and nationalising Rail and Water are popular with the public. Increasing broadband coverage and speed and making it dirt cheap again was a very good. policy. But Corbyn scared the establishment, he wasn't for sale and had Tory shill's screaming. His attitude to the individual of "If you earn a lot of money pay your taxes towards society and don't complain"  obviously terrified them. That and making companies who operate in the UK actually pay UK tax would have had Dacre soiling himself in rage.

I agree with most of your post however I think it's far too easy to lay all of his failures on the door of the media. He didn't exactly make it hard for them. There was a lot to have a go at him for that wasn't just media concocted bullshit. 

23 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Corbyn wanted to leave the EU and didn’t really campaign for remain.

What Starmer has taken off the table is lukewarm centrist Social Democracy, which is what Corbyn was offering.

I agree on your first part and have a goldfish memory so don't actually know if you're contesting a point here or agreeing. 

On the second part I don't know if it's as straight forward as that, thankfully Starmer isn't some far left fruit loop and if I could be arsed would probably argue he's still the candidate for lukewarm social democracy. I think it was @scottsdad who previously posted about under promising and over delivering which I believe is their strategy at the moment. Starmer certainly knows how to avoid setting up these media open goals that the previous leader struggled with. 

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

“Poor people continue to have large families”

why not make them less poor or have fewer poor people?

I suspect this is a trolling expedition and you don’t believe the evil shit you’re spouting, which would be bad but not irredeemable.

If you do believe the shite you’re spouting then you are an irredeemable C[redacted due to rules on personal abuse]

They could be less poor by not overstretching themselves by having families and lifestyles which their incomes can't support.   Just a thought?    Or do you just want to make people less poor by handing out free money from the magic tree?

Edited by FFCinthearea

7 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

Or do you just want to make people less poor by handing out free money from the magic tree?

Why not? Politicians manage to do this for themselves to support lifestyles they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

16 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

They could be less poor by not overstretching themselves by having families and lifestyles which their incomes can't support.   Just a thought?    Or do you just want to make people less poor by handing out free money from the magic tree?

I don’t think that’s where money comes from. They make your car smell nice though.

23 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

The magic money tree stuff is nonsense. It’s a deliberate, right wing narrative to pretend that government spending has to balance the books (I’m talking about the U.K. government here; I’m aware the devolved governments actually do). The reality is that, yes, spending more of social security, education, health etc can be done, and not doing so has absolutely nothing to do with economics and everything to do with Conservative ideology - one which is startlingly logically inconsistent. I mean, in order to have the workforce required to maximise efficiency and therefore profits for the elites, you’d need a well funded welfare state to keep everyone educated, healthy and happy. And you’d need a system which makes sure the workers of the future can grow up to be as productive as possible. But they don’t do that, because their ideology doesn’t make sense.

In any case, if you could stop talking as of poverty is an individual, personal failing rather than the inevitable result of a system designed to create and perpetuate it, and also have a think about how other factors (disability, location, ethnicity) interplay with poverty and how that reflects on your ‘the poor should stop breeding’ narrative, id really appreciate it x

1 hour ago, FFCinthearea said:

If the poor stop breeding it will be even more of a nightmare trying to find decent servants, especially after the cheap supply of Ukrainians comes to an end.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, FFCinthearea said:

I was doing some work today in a 3 bed house in The Inch (topside for interested locals 😉). 

This area (for those who dont know it) is a post war council scheme, and has many of the problems that any similar one would have across Scotland.

To be blunt, the street I was working in was a fucking tip, there was rubbish all over the place and at least one car up on bricks.

I thought it would be instructive to see what one of these fine properties would cost, should one be radge enough to buy - somewhere in the region of £150k, at the (very) cheap end for Edinburgh.

image.png.bbe01dcb5ba306ac595f68f46896ff87.png

If you were - say - a single parent with no equity they would need a salary of ~£40 or £50k to get the mortgage on that - hows that going to work if you need to pick the kids up from school and can only get a part time job?

Well, the answer is - it usually doesnt - and if you are (im generalising here) some young lassie whos left her bloke and has 2 or 3 young kids - she cannae get a decent job as the kids needs picked up from school, so is on benefits and needs every penny.

Thats not a fucking lifestyle choice its usually the shitty hand people have been dealt............... 

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The magic money tree stuff is nonsense. It’s a deliberate, right wing narrative to pretend that government spending has to balance the books (I’m talking about the U.K. government here; I’m aware the devolved governments actually do). The reality is that, yes, spending more of social security, education, health etc can be done, and not doing so has absolutely nothing to do with economics and everything to do with Conservative ideology - one which is startlingly logically inconsistent. I mean, in order to have the workforce required to maximise efficiency and therefore profits for the elites, you’d need a well funded welfare state to keep everyone educated, healthy and happy. And you’d need a system which makes sure the workers of the future can grow up to be as productive as possible. But they don’t do that, because their ideology doesn’t make sense.

In any case, if you could stop talking as of poverty is an individual, personal failing rather than the inevitable result of a system designed to create and perpetuate it, and also have a think about how other factors (disability, location, ethnicity) interplay with poverty and how that reflects on your ‘the poor should stop breeding’ narrative, id really appreciate it x

Even if the policy was driven by public finances it fails on those terms. Instant saving £1.3 Bn in tax credit payments (20% of the floated IHT cut, which we can apparently afford) but what are the fiscal costs in terms of more lives spent on benefits or in jail or treating the long term effects of malnutrition.  

That’s before any moral questions