What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

42 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I thought I'd seen the new Labour MP somewhere.

A Blackadder star has been quietly working at Cardiff Castle for years -  Wales Online

I will no doubt get pulled up for age discrimination but I reckon potential MPs should wait until their balls have dropped before standing for election.

He doesn’t have any balls, he will do exactly what the Labour whips tell him without any question.

9 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I thought I'd seen the new Labour MP somewhere.

A Blackadder star has been quietly working at Cardiff Castle for years -  Wales Online

I will no doubt get pulled up for age discrimination but I reckon potential MPs should wait until their balls have dropped before standing for election.

Never a person who judges on apperance, but by f**k give a day off.

8 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

Spineless would suggest that he's going against his values and beliefs out of fear. This c**t is owning who he is imo.

Stephen Flynns quote last week ".....there is a shiver running along the Labour front bench looking for a spine" is appropriate here....................... 

On 21/07/2023 at 06:43, Highlandmagar said:

Selby result is purely because Tories stayed at home. Ghey will return to Tories at next election.  Starmer is a vote loser. 

Just as an aside, poll predictions for General elections always work on the assumption that by-election seats will swing back to the original party that won at the previous General election.

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

‘Let’s not do positive things, let’s do things that get us elected’.

’Whats the point in getting elected if we can’t do positive things?’

’Uhm…’

9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Starmer is a fucking spineless c**t.

Assuming Starmer gets into power he will absolutely pivot to the centre left once he actually gets in 

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Do you actually genuinely believe this? 

Yes.

Starmer is hyper aware of how he’s perceived by the media and, by extension, the electorate. He will do absolutely anything to avoid being seen as a woke north London liberal elite tofu eating lefty.

If you look at the post WW2 history of the UK, it’s largely a centre-right country and the only way Labour tends to win is by waiting for the Tories to become unpopular and then provide a competent centrist alternative.

If and when Keir Starmer is PM and is therefore able to control the narrative himself, we’ll see a lot more of the pre-LOTO Starmer where we can see him quietly doing centre left things even if they weren’t in his original manifesto. 

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Yes.

Starmer is hyper aware of how he’s perceived by the media and, by extension, the electorate. He will do absolutely anything to avoid being seen as a woke north London liberal elite tofu eating lefty.

If you look at the post WW2 history of the UK, it’s largely a centre-right country and the only way Labour tends to win is by waiting for the Tories to become unpopular and then provide a competent centrist alternative.

If and when Keir Starmer is PM and is therefore able to control the narrative himself, we’ll see a lot more of the pre-LOTO Starmer where we can see him quietly doing centre left things even if they weren’t in his original manifesto. 

Fair enough.

I admire the frankly wild level of optimism. 

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Fair enough.

I admire the frankly wild level of optimism. 

I’m not saying he will be a Corbyn by any means, but I think you’ll see Blair/Brown type government for sure.

I am hoping for either a whomping majority or a Lab-Lib coalition. Last thing the UK needs is a small number of Corbynite backbenchers being able to hold the government to ransom in the way that the right wing Brexiteers did to May and Cameron. 

Edited by Donathan

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’m not saying he will be a Corbyn by any means, but I think you’ll see Blair/Brown type government for sure.

I’m not trying to have a go at you, but in what way would that be “centre-left”?

Blair in particular is a right wing shill and a war criminal. 

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m not trying to have a go at you, but in what way would that be “centre-left”?

Blair in particular is a right wing shill and a war criminal. 

Some choose to remember a minor detail of Blair’s decade in power. I prefer to remember a strong economy, happy people and an NHS that actually worked. 

If you’re going to call Blair “right wing” then your scale is completely tinted to the right. That must make Cameron, May and Sunak far right and Johnson/Truss basically neo-nazis. 

FWIW I’d say Blair was a centrist, Brown and Miliband were centre-left (as is Starmer IMO) and Corbyn was true left winger. There are no far-left politicians in the mainstream, only the SWP type entities can be described as such. 

I don’t regard a million dead Iraqi’s as a minor detail, but whatever you want mate.

just to add, David Cameron’s policies were ‘let’s murder all the poor’ and all his successors have just added ‘let’s round up all the blacks and Muslims’ to it, so yes, I think they’re pretty far right 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

52 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Some choose to remember a minor detail of Blair’s decade in power. I prefer to remember a strong economy, happy people and an NHS that actually worked. 

If you’re going to call Blair “right wing” then your scale is completely tinted to the right. That must make Cameron, May and Sunak far right and Johnson/Truss basically neo-nazis. 

FWIW I’d say Blair was a centrist, Brown and Miliband were centre-left (as is Starmer IMO) and Corbyn was true left winger. There are no far-left politicians in the mainstream, only the SWP type entities can be described as such. 

Blair was( is) a 'one nation Tory' type politician. I use the term very loosely.

The Labour excuse about the media is mince. The power of the media has gone. In Scotland, a rather meh SNP have been the biggest party for years with no media support at all. If Labour fail, as they often do, it's not the media. That some people suggest they're only kidding about right-wing policies and will show their true social democratic colours once in power - well, such self-delusion is baffling.