What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

2 minutes ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

I don't particularly think the SNP set any sort of trap. They used their Opposition Day motion to call for a ceasefire, something supported by 2/3rds of the British public. Labour have had ample opportunity to call for a ceasefire in the 4 months that this plausible genocide has been going on for.

If they did intend to set a trap, then it's probably actually worked, because if nothing, the utterly bleak and cynical shenanigans that make up 90% of politics in this country have been quite openly exemplified by the behaviour of the Labour Party over this.

That’s a bold claim that ignores any nuance.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I’m sure they probably do.  I have no idea if France have called for an unconditional ceasefire.  If they have it’s because they’ve weighed up the options and decided that’s the best option to serve the interests of France.  It will be f**k all to do with Israel or Gaza.  That’s not how foreign policy works I’m afraid.

They voted for an immediate ceasefire at the UN Security Council. So did 12 other current members  our of the 15 (China, Russia Algeria, Ecuador, Guyana, Japan, Malta, Mozambique, Korea Republic, Sierra Leone, Slovenia & Switzerland)

One permanent member bravely abstained, and one vetoed. Can you guess who these two countries were?

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

So, attempting to prevent genocide isn’t in the best interests of the U.K., or the Labour Party? 

Let me be clear that this is not my opinion and I’m not trying to justify anyone’s actions.

The brutal answer to your question in this instance is that Israel is far more important to the UK’s security and economy than the Palestinians.  While Hamas threatens Israel our sympathies will be with Israel.

That’s a cold hard fact and I would imagine that’s our foreign policy position.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That’s a bold claim that ignores any nuance.

This "nuance" stuff which the likes of Ed Davey and Lisa Nandy have been spouting is utter bollocks.

As if Hamas or the IDF are going to go "aye, well Starmer reckons only a humanitarian ceasefire is a go-er" or "nah, lets go with the full unconditional one the SNP put forward".

Its all bollocks ! Neither of them give a shiny shite what the UK parliament says in between the lines - the other day we had the unedifying spectacle of LAbour suggesting that it was odd that the SNP had not included an unequivocal condemnation of the Hamas attacks in their motion, ffs.

Stop killing people, stop carpet bombing an entire region into the stone age - its pretty b*****ding simple.

No nuance required.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Let me be clear that this is not my opinion and I’m not trying to justify anyone’s actions.

The brutal answer to your question in this instance is that Israel is far more important to the UK’s security and economy than the Palestinians.  While Hamas threatens Israel our sympathies will be with Israel.

That’s a cold hard fact and I would imagine that’s our foreign policy position.

Aye, see the thing is that I would like a world where better is possible. And I would vote for one. And everything about today has proven, once again, that Labour under Keir Starmer simply have no interest in making anything better for anyone.

Also, the bit in bold is odd given you’ve been charging around trying to tell everyone how it’s really clever politics from starmer. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

36 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I never said it was the SNP’s fault.  The SNP laid a trap which hasn’t been sprung.

While there was an element of politicking by the SNP in raising the motion, they have had a constant position since October, calling for a ceasefire which it wanted to reiterate, while as I said Labour's amendment to a "humanitarian ceasefire" endorses the status quo and is effectively an oxymoron.

Edited by btb

Just now, Leith Green said:

This "nuance" stuff which the likes of Ed Davey and Lisa Nandy have been spouting is utter bollocks.

As if Hamas or the IDF are going to go "aye, well Starmer reckons only a humanitarian ceasefire is a go-er" or "nah, lets go with the full unconditional one the SNP put forward".

Its all bollocks ! Neither of them give a shiny shite what the UK parliament says in between the lines - the other day we had the unedifying spectacle of LAbour suggesting that it was odd that the SNP had not included an unequivocal condemnation of the Hamas attacks in their motion, ffs.

Stop killing people, stop carpet bombing an entire region into the stone age - its pretty b*****ding simple.

No nuance required.

That’s why today was an entirely pointless exercise.  It was all about political grandstanding by all UK parties and made f**k all difference to anything that’s actually happening.

The UK can call for all the ceasefires or pauses it wants but while Hamas and Israel want to scrap the bloodshed will go on.

4 minutes ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

What sort of nuance are you looking for here ?

This kind ?

That isn’t 66% of Britons.  That’s 66% of the people polled.  An opinion poll does not make something fact.  It may well be that it is reflective but we’ve all seen in the past how polls can vary widely.

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, see the thing is that I would like a world where better is possible. And I would vote for one. And everything about today has proven, once again, that Labour under Keir Starmer simply have no interest in making anything better for anyone.

Also, the bit in bold is odd given you’ve been charging around trying to tell everyone how it’s really clever politics from starmer. 

If you could quote where I’ve praised any of the actions today that would be useful to refresh my memory as I must be going senile.

All I’ve done is comment on what has happened.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That’s why today was an entirely pointless exercise.  It was all about political grandstanding by all UK parties and made f**k all difference to anything that’s actually happening.

The UK can call for all the ceasefires or pauses it wants but while Hamas and Israel want to scrap the bloodshed will go on.

They could do something like - I dunno - stop allowing arms sales to Israel from the U.K.. That might make the whole genocide thing a wee bit more difficult for them at least. 

So the SNP call for a ceasefire, Labour decide to hijack it to save face, but it’s the SNP who are playing politics? Are we really supposed to believe that? 

Westminster would rather Scotland’s biggest party doesn’t have a voice than Labour get embarrassed. f**k the lot of them, you could make a case for the SNP not even taking their seats with the treatment we get. 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

They could do something like - I dunno - stop allowing arms sales to Israel from the U.K.. That might make the whole genocide thing a wee bit more difficult for them at least. 

Do you really believe that if Israel want’s arms it won’t get them from somewhere if we decided to stop selling them arms?

Just now, Left Back said:

Do you really believe that if Israel want’s arms it won’t get them from somewhere if we decided to stop selling them arms?

I believe that it would make it more difficult, and it would also mean that our government aren’t complicit in genocide, yes. 

2 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

So the SNP call for a ceasefire, Labour decide to hijack it to save face, but it’s the SNP who are playing politics? Are we really supposed to believe that? 

Westminster would rather Scotland’s biggest party doesn’t have a voice than Labour get embarrassed. f**k the lot of them, you could make a case for the SNP not even taking their seats with the treatment we get. 

It’s all politics.  Even the SNP tabling a motion to call for a ceasefire is politics.  If the motion had passed it wasn’t binding on the government.  If it was binding on the government it isn’t binding on the combatants.  The sum total of what it could achieve in terms of the bloodshed was zero.

2 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Bear in mind that, as recently as this morning, David Lammy was pretty clear that this is an election year so Labour can't support anything the SNP proposes. Labour are a shower of rat b*****ds. At least the Tories don't try to be sleekit rat b*****ds - they just crack on with it.