What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

Where’s this widest possible debate even coming from? MPs from all parties get to debate & vote on the motion & any amendments submitted. It’s a load of absolute nonsense. The whole stitch up was so as not to display (again), the current splits in the Labour Party. 

Hoyle has to go, all this bullshit about safety concerns is just that, bullshit! 

Starmer being a sleekit coward comes as no shock to me, the narrative by the MSM has moved from splits in Labour to the speaker, so in that regard it’s worked..... for now. 

10 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

BBC reporting of this was shocking, I thought.

They're really trying to push the MP's were all going to get killed by mad muslims if they didn't support an all out ceasfire rather than we have all backed genocidal Netanyahu and let the (useful for getting shot of Corbyn)Jewish lobby wag the dog.

16 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

This is your wildest take yet. Exactly what  “dangerous road”?

I think there is a danger that this could end up with egg on his face 

Penny Mordaunt was playing pure politics earlier with her praising Hoyle etc. 

At the end of the day Tories ( except for their usual nutters) and Labour will close ranks and save him. Hoyle will limp on to the GE, weakened, which will serve both Tory and Labour politically.

I wholeheartedly agree that what happened last night was shameful. 

Labour completely hijacked the SNP opposition day.

While I don't think it's a trap for Flynn to go down this road, it could easily become one.

The big Unionist parties will be in a position , with a very weak Speaker to completely sideline SNP more than ever.

Just my take on things.

I will vote SNP at the next election, and Flynn, is my MP, but I think he could play this more cleverly and take it to the Scottish public in a big way to expose even more the utterly corrupt Westminster. 

1 hour ago, Highlandmagar said:

The big Unionist parties will be in a position , with a very weak Speaker to completely sideline SNP more than ever.

I agree with almost all you’ve said, other than Flynn getting egg on his face. I can’t see that.

From a purely political standpoint, the SNP getting sidelined even more is probably great for the SNP in making soft No’s consider their position - “look, they just don’t care about Scotland”. 

Just now, Wee Bully said:

I agree with almost all you’ve said, other than Flynn getting egg on his face. I can’t see that.

From a purely political standpoint, the SNP getting sidelined even more is probably great for the SNP in making soft No’s consider their position - “look, they just don’t care about Scotland”. 

I totally agree with the last line.

Yesterday Hoyle said he accepted labours motion because it was outdated procedures today it's terrorists attacking mps talk about coming up with some nonsense overnight 

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yesterday Hoyle said he accepted labours motion because it was outdated procedures today it's terrorists attacking mps talk about coming up with some nonsense overnight 

Even this is backfiring as it gives the Tories an excellent attack line about Labour bending to terrorists. 

10 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

John Hughes until the end of the season.

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Yogi would do a better job than any mainstream politician today. Any single one.

The Labour refrain (echoed by the BBC, Graun and many other media) that the SNP put forward this motion 'to embarrass Labour - just playing politics' drives me nuts.

1 It's not all about Labour. This might be about Israel and Palestine.

2 Labour are quite capable of embarrassing themselves. They don't need anyone else to do it for them

8 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Starmers interview on the BBC 10 mins ago confirms he spoke to Hoyle and "urged" him to have the widest possible debate.

Clearly its impossible to state exactly what was said, and in what manner but there is now no question that Hoyle made his decision after Starmer spoke to him.

Hoyle has - today - stated that he made a mistake in allowing it.

Its pretty cut and dried, the speaker needs to go as his credibility is in tatters.

It's of little validity saying that he made a mistake and now knowing that Starmer used him, he may now lose his job now or in the future due to the mistrust that has settled on his position.

Meanwhile Slimey Starmer will be giving it the big Sauchiehall Street Shuffle.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Yogi would do a better job than any mainstream politician today. Any single one.

Is that not the rejoinder of the ill thinking pub bore? 

John McDonnell intimated yesterday that the allegations about Labour threatening the Speaker were true. Today, "senior Labour figures" revealed to the BBC what form those threats took. The Speaker would have needed Labour votes to be re-elected as Speaker after the election and he was told he would not receive those votes unless he called Labour's amendment yesterday.

Starmer has long since behaved this way within the Labour party, breaking established democratic norms. To see him continue that approach externally isn't surprising.

Mentioning John McDonnell, he seems to have noticed what I've been complaining about in this thread. That The Times are backing Labour, that they seem to have Starmer's ear and that they're doing their best to move him further rightwards.

Screenshot_20240223_002231_Chrome.jpg

This has precedent, of course. Murdoch and Blair combined forces previously. The deal was that Blair got Murdoch's huge media backing in exchange for only pursuing policies tolerable to Murdoch. 

Edited by Freedom Farter