Hope for Independence

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I often find Scottish Unionists are utter pussies in the sense that they think we would have no armed forces if we became independent and someone like Russia or China would be entering the co-ordinates of the Castlecary Arches into their nukes 12 hours after it being announced a Yes vote had won.

A No voter I work with has basically said this to me on numerous occasions.  'We'd be sitting ducks, out the EU, out of NATO.  It would be open season for Putin'.  You can't reason with these fucking idiots.

Classic right-wing debating technique, innit. Adopt ludicrous positions you don't actually believe in in order to derail the discussion (see also: "what will we use for money?" and "the UK government won't pay our pensions," etc.). That way you never have to actually defend your position or confront your opponent's arguments.

18 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Classic right-wing debating technique, innit. Adopt ludicrous positions you don't actually believe in in order to derail the discussion (see also: "what will we use for money?" and "the UK government won't pay our pensions," etc.). That way you never have to actually defend your position or confront your opponent's arguments.

Another of my work colleagues favourites, which can easily be debunked with 'Who pays Shug and Senga who live in Santa Ponsa's pension?'  That soon shuts him up.

7 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Correct. Strawman fallacies aimed at morons who lap it up.

Yes voting hero - I want Scotland to run it's own affairs.
Yoon weirdo - That means you hate the English!

On 12/07/2024 at 21:48, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Correct. Strawman fallacies aimed at morons who lap it up.

Yes voting hero - I want Scotland to run it's own affairs.
Yoon weirdo - That means you hate the English!

Whereas the reality is both. 😂

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Whereas the reality is both. 😂

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

\
            \
              \
Strawman In Farm Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Scarecrow -  Agricultural Equipment, Human Face, 2015 - iStock

Yes the Independence light has dimmed in the last year just as the political vote has shifted, many changed their as a weapon to rightly oust the tories in Westminster, something the SNP could not do.

The Independence vote is still there and it will rise again, there is far too many young people wanting to run their own country.

Defence? We become more of a target every day as long as Westminster and the MOD align themselves with the USA.

Defence in an Independent Scotland, well right now the whole central belt Is first strike as long as the nuclear submarine base in Faslane is being accessed by the USA military.

The SNP have made it quite clear that in an Independent Scotland we will want Faslane nuclear facility out of Scotland and relocated to England, this firm proposal has created a storm in the MOD as this will have a huge cost and political implications with the English populace, a likely candidate will be Wales.

Faslane would then revert to a Scottish naval base, an air force, small in the beginning, would be based in Lossiemouth and with the army and Navy have a strictly Defence role and not aggressive as we have at the minute.

Our place in the world militarily and politically would be as a small nation.

Constitutional affairs aren't exactly the bread and butter of electoral cycles. There's a big degree of longtermism involved. By contrast I'm not sure how many yoons can look beyond their next meal.