Cumbernauld Town Centre

https://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/regeneration-and-investment/towns-and-communities/cumbernauld-town-centre-regeneration

Was up in the centre yesterday and noticed new displays showing the planned demolition of the 1960s brutalist centre, and subsequent redevelopment. Link above. I had a look, read through everything, and have decided not to grab my camera just yet and take photos for posterity…

Demolition phase 1 in 3-5 years. Demolition phase 2 in 8-10 years. OK, let’s say they demolish the biggest, 2nd part of the centre in 9 years time. Would take at least a year to knock it down, clear the site, and fence it off ready for the new build. New build could start in 10 years time and take around 3 years? So maybe the old carbunkle will be gone, and the new ‘hub’ opened in 13 years time?

Not getting my panic in, and heading up to Mark Stewart for a haircut before he gets bulldozed. Looking forward to the plans never actually happening at all, or if they do, to run wildly over budget, and wildly over timescale. You can absolutely bookmark the ‘over budget’ part.

Mon’ the town centre, keep the three hundred buckets on the floor to catch the leaks from the roof!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

https://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/regeneration-and-investment/towns-and-communities/cumbernauld-town-centre-regeneration

Was up in the centre yesterday and noticed new displays showing the planned demolition of the 1960s brutalist centre, and subsequent redevelopment. Link above. I had a look, read through everything, and have decided not to grab my camera just yet and take photos for posterity…

Demolition phase 1 in 3-5 years. Demolition phase 2 in 8-10 years. OK, let’s say they demolish the biggest, 2nd part of the centre in 9 years time. Would take at least a year to knock it down, clear the site, and fence it off ready for the new build. New build could start in 10 years time and take around 3 years? So maybe the old carbunkle will be gone, and the new ‘hub’ opened in 13 years time?

Not getting my panic in, and heading up to Mark Stewart for a haircut before he gets bulldozed. Looking forward to the plans never actually happening at all, or if they do, to run wildly over budget, and wildly over timescale. You can absolutely bookmark the ‘over budget’ part.

Mon’ the town centre, keep the three hundred buckets on the floor to catch the leaks from the roof!

The old structure will be carefully dismantled and rebuilt in Airdrie, in the vacant land that used to be the town centre.

I was in the Cumbernauld Briddish Legion for a 60th about 5 years ago.  Incredibly cheap but far too many Weegies there for my liking. Would not recommend.  

37 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How shite does this look? 

An image of a town with buildings and people cycling

Looks like the kind of thing that was drawn up in 2024, might actually be built in 2036, and will therefore be ten to fifteen years out of date before the ribbon is cut to open it. It’s a cunning plan.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Looks like the kind of thing that was drawn up in 2024, might actually be built in 2036, and will therefore be ten to fifteen years out of date before the ribbon is cut to open it. It’s a cunning plan.

Indeed.

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

f**k YOUR GREENFAULDS FUCKING SCUM 

Star Trek Star Trek Tos GIF

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Or just take the buckets away and let it demolish itself 

That’s what could happen. The place needs properly fixed up to continue at all in its present guise, but now that it’s been bought by North Lanarkshire Council, they won’t spend anything on somewhere slated to be demolished anyway. It will indeed be a case of multiple plastic buckets under the roof leaks and anything more serious slapped with gaffer tape. 
I have a soft spot for the crumbling wreck. I have an excellent hardback book, ‘Brutalist Architecture in Britain 1950s-1970s, and Cumbernauld features in it twice. If millions and millions were thrown at it, it could be preserved, but as much as I like it for its brutalist design, it really would take multi-millions just to keep it upright. There’s a really good video online, think it’s called ‘Cumbernauld, town of the future’ or something. Back in the day… the ‘railway carriage in the sky’ part was luxury penthouse flats. There was a disco, restaurant, a hotel, all the shops. Traffic and pedestrians kept apart (that’s STILL fantastic, speaking as someone who still has to drive through Paisley a lot).

Anyway, it won’t be going anywhere for ages. I’ll definitely wander around with my camera one day, capture it before it ‘does a Rangers’.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How shite does this look? 

An image of a town with buildings and people cycling

That looks like something from the 1960s too

When I heard about a crumbling, unloved eyesore white elephant in Cumbernauld I thought of Broadwood...

32 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I worked with someone from Cumbernauld once, she married a convicted paedo who subsequently got a sex change.

Could've been you.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Good website if youre into the history.

https://concretedreams.org.uk/

That ramp still makes me feel sick given the amount of times I had to push my dad's wheelchair up and down it to go to Specsavers.

The way the tattoo shop next to the RBS was treated is a disgrace. Ended up opening up a new shop in Kilsyth after the flooding last year. Still had to pay full rent but couldn't access the shop for weeks.